Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:39 PM

113 posts, read 446,088 times

Advertisements

I've lived in my home since 1957 and much to the dissapointment of my and my neighbors, the duplex right next door to me has at least 8-12 mexican nationals living there, on both sides who have really brought our humble little neighborhood down. They are all male except for one female and the faces change from time to time so always a turnover of sorts.
Here's a breakdown of a days activities over there: starting at 5 or 6am, different vehicles will pull up, start HONKING and 1,2 or whatever number of the men come out and get into the vehicle and it drives away.Then another and another comes, honks, picks them up and off they go, I guess for a days work. The evening and especially weekends are spent drinking, throwing beer bottles out the front or back door or onto the street. Sat and Sunday mornings we wake up to blaring music and I now have SAPD non-emergency # on my speed dial to report such nuisance.
My 20yr old daughter hates going into our lovely back yard because the men will come out and stand there staring. Yesterday I was cutting the lawn and one of them just stood there staring at me and I yelled at him to go away unless he wanted to talk to a police officer. He slowly walked away. This weekend I'm getting estimates on a privacy fence.
I am SO OVER this and was wondering is there some way to anonymously report illegal aliens?? I'm female and live alone so I don't really want to create a hostile situation but I'm at my wits end.
I am beginning to think the landlord is in on this since he buys properties and "flips" them on the cheap and probably uses these men for labor.
Sorry for the long post but I'm sure I'm not the only one going thru something like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 09:14 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,822,911 times
How do you know that they are illegals?

Old 07-14-2008, 09:32 PM

155 posts, read 373,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
How do you know that they are illegals?
Dude, you can tell. Business owners of course feign ignorance. "A Social Security Number of 000-00-0000. Looks great to me! You're obviously legal!"

Old 07-14-2008, 09:35 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Basically, in today's America, you are faced with three options in the case you describe of the obnoxious neighbors...

(1) You can 'fight fire with fire'..that is, you can get up early and honk your OWN horn in front of your house. If they stare at you while you cut the grass, stare BACK..or don't cut the grass at all. On weekend mornings, play your OWN music at top volume....in the evening, drink a lot of beer and toss your OWN bottles into the street. Beat them at their own game...OR

(2) Simply develop the art of ignoring them. Close your mind. Think pleasant thoughts. Cope in the same way you'd do, if serving a stretch in prison, by training yourself to simply 'sublimate'....OR

(3) You could simply move away..

Sorry to sound pessimistic...but this is America, 2008. You have your culture, and your neighbors have theirs. Nobody's right, and nobody's wrong, just 'different'. If they're illegal, that's OK, too, for all practical purposes.

That's life, as it's lived, in a multicultural society.....like the one we're building here.

Something to think about, while you weigh your options.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:41 PM

155 posts, read 373,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Basically, in today's America, you are faced with three options in the case you describe of the obnoxious neighbors...

(1) You can 'fight fire with fire'..that is, you can get up early and honk your OWN horn in front of your house. If they stare at you while you cut the grass, stare BACK..or don't cut the grass at all. On weekend mornings, play your OWN music at top volume....in the evening, drink a lot of beer and toss your OWN bottles into the street. Beat them at their own game...OR

(2) Simply develop the art of ignoring them. Close your mind. Think pleasant thoughts. Cope in the same way you'd do, if serving a stretch in prison, by training yourself to simply 'sublimate'....OR

Sorry to sound pessimistic...but this is America, 2008. You have your culture, and your neighbors have theirs. Nobody's right, and nobody's wrong, just 'different'. If they're illegal, that's OK, too, for all practical purposes.

That's life, as it's lived, in a multicultural society.....like the one we're building here.

You know the country's changed for the worse when folks have the time to make a dozen postings a day to an internet message board for the last year.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:46 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasWeatherman View Post
You know the country's changed for the worse when folks have the time to make a dozen postings a day to an internet message board for the last year.
So true. It's a disgrace.

Old 07-14-2008, 09:49 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,128,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

(4) call the city's code enforcement department-----and, keep calling the police using their regular non emergency line. 9-1-1 calls automatically log on at the emergency dispatch centers.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:19 PM

634 posts, read 1,419,780 times
Why folks didn't stick together is beyond me.If DeKalb county can stay within it's own kind, other places can also.Folks, you just have to stand together,and think alike.Sure, a bunch of Mexicans came here to work in the fields but theres a reason they didn't take up homestead.When their kids go to our school, local kids have nothing to do with them,they see the kids won't fit in and the parents aint gonna tell the kids to play nice,they soon give up and leave here.The local parents don't get mad at the kids either,after all it's the locals inviroment,and want it kept that way.Same for two stores that were for sale and the locals could not get a loan for them,but immigrants had government loans ''handed to them'' and bought both stores. Well the locals called all their friends and family and decided not to trade with them.Both stores got starved out,and have been sitting empty for a good while,one quite a while to be honest, two darn nice size great condition stores to boot.There is ''no law'' that says you have to trade with them, you can drive the extra mile to trade elsewhere, they'll leave your area. If we ever decide to sell our farm and move, we'll hand pick who we sell it to thinking about the comunity's future after we have gone,but I doubt we'll ever leave home here.Many think the same way.

TN Encyclopedia: DEKALB COUNTY (http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/imagegallery.php?EntryID=D022 - broken link)

According to the 2000 census, DeKalb County's population totaled 17,423. At the end of the Civil War, African Americans made up about 10 percent of the population, but out-migration had reduced the number of blacks to less than 3 percent by the 1990 census. In the 1980s a number of Mexican laborers came to work in DeKalb's nurseries, but few have become permanent residents.

Last edited by RS-1080; 07-14-2008 at 10:39 PM..

Old 07-14-2008, 10:57 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
Why folks didn't stick together is beyond me.If DeKalb county can stay within it's own kind, other places can also.Folks, you just have to stand together,and think alike.Sure, a bunch of Mexicans came here to work in the fields but theres a reason they didn't take up homestead.When their kids go to our school, local kids have nothing to do with them,they see the kids won't fit in and the parents aint gonna tell the kids to play nice,they soon give up and leave here.The local parents don't get mad at the kids either,after all it's the locals inviroment,and want it kept that way.Same for two stores that were for sale and the locals could not get a loan for them,but immigrants had government loans ''handed to them'' and bought both stores. Well the locals called all their friends and family and decided not to trade with them.Both stores got starved out,and have been sitting empty for a good while,one quite a while to be honest, two darn nice size great condition stores to boot.There is ''no law'' that says you have to trade with them, you can drive the extra mile to trade elsewhere, they'll leave your area. If we ever decide to sell our farm and move, we'll hand pick who we sell it to thinking about the comunity's future after we have gone,but I doubt we'll ever leave home here.Many think the same way.

TN Encyclopedia: DEKALB COUNTY (http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/imagegallery.php?EntryID=D022 - broken link)

According to the 2000 census, DeKalb County's population totaled 17,423. At the end of the Civil War, African Americans made up about 10 percent of the population, but out-migration had reduced the number of blacks to less than 3 percent by the 1990 census. In the 1980s a number of Mexican laborers came to work in DeKalb's nurseries, but few have become permanent residents.

So basically you banded together and discriminated against the Mexicans in your county? I am sure you are proud you could keep it "your kind". GREAT SUCCESS!

Sounds like a fantastic place to live as a legal hispanic citizen.

**scratches DeKalb county of the summer trip list**

Old 07-14-2008, 11:10 PM

219 posts, read 425,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
So basically you banded together and discriminated against the Mexicans in your county? I am sure you are proud you could keep it "your kind". GREAT SUCCESS!

Sounds like a fantastic place to live as a legal hispanic citizen.

**scratches DeKalb county of the summer trip list**
C'mon, the lady doesn't have to live like that. I don't care where u live, people do not have to put up with this kind of rude behavior. She has purchased a home that she has lived in for over 50 years and now she has to be the one to cater to their way of living. All those people living in one place, the noise, the pure lack of consideration for others. I looked up this number for ICE it's 1-866-347-2423 I hope it's the right one. I don't care if they are legal or illegal that is crappy way to live and then to put everyone else in the neighborhood thru it! I wuldn't like it either. I don't understand why they can't wake up and realize there are others around them and they don't live like that. Just because someone has "culture" doesn't mean they need to bring their chickens to their yards, leave their car and all the parts lying everywhere and blaring circus music. America is the way it is cuz people DO care about things like this! Good luck, I hope things get better.

And Mach50 If u r so disgusted with her "discrimination" I am sure she wuld gladly trade u houses, u can live there and put up with that crap and see how long before u change ur mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration