Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:52 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,492,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
He stopped what he was saying because he realized that some race-based huckster would try to make a mountain out of it. Witness the Huffington Post and YOU. The comment, IF completed, was directed at ALL politicians, NOT Condi Rice.
Guy - come on, don't you think Lou realized he was about to refer to a Politician as a Cotton Picker...with a BIG Title at the bottom of the screen saying "Talking about Condoleezza Rice". If it was not a racial thought than can you at least admit tactless and stupid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 10:01 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,592,989 times
Yeah, it was tactless, which is why it was bitten off before it could be completed, but to claim it was directed at Condi Rice when the context of his words was directed at politicians in general is phobic.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it was tactless, which is why it was bitten off before it could be completed, but to claim it was directed at Condi Rice when the context of his words was directed at politicians in general is phobic.
When you say tactless things you leave the door open for scrutiny. Especially a guy who is known to say very racially controversial things.

Honestly, if he were talking about George Bush I don't think he would have thought up the words cotton picker.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:29 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,592,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
When you say tactless things you leave the door open for scrutiny. Especially a guy who is known to say very racially controversial things.

Honestly, if he were talking about George Bush I don't think he would have thought up the words cotton picker.
The term has been around for about 2 centuries, and while it's roots MAY harken back to the days of slavery, the fact remains that there were LOTS of WHITE sharecroppers who were 'cotton-pickers', too. My mother used to tell me to "keep my cotton-pickin' hands out of the cookie jar". I know PLENTY of Black Americans who use that term in the same way.

IMHO, it's only a 'racial' comment to those who've become professional victims.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
The term has been around for about 2 centuries, and while it's roots MAY harken back to the days of slavery, the fact remains that there were LOTS of WHITE sharecroppers who were 'cotton-pickers', too. My mother used to tell me to "keep my cotton-pickin' hands out of the cookie jar". I know PLENTY of Black Americans who use that term in the same way.

IMHO, it's only a 'racial' comment to those who've become professional victims.
Well obviously I am not the only one who deems it racist:
Quote:
cotton-picker 70 up, 28 down
A racist slur to represent a black person, or person of African heritage......this word is used because in the Age of Our Founding Fathers, when blacks were slaves, they were known to mostly pick cotton.
"Stop picking on me you ****in' cotton-picker!"
by Dave May 13, 2004 email it 0 comments

2. cotton-picker 36 up, 54 down
A cotton-picker is any person, regardless of race, who picks cotton.
Many white people and Hispanics were cotton-pickers in the rural South. I am a white woman, born and raised in Arkansas but now living in the North, married to an architect. I picked cotton in the 1950's for spending money, along with my peers. I am proud of the fact and have a tendancy to brag about it
Urban Dictionary: cotton-picker

There are your 2 definitions, which one has the most votes UP and DOWN?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:36 AM

218 posts, read 437,770 times
Mach, did you read your link? Definition Two of your own post says exactly what Guy posted above:

Quote:
Many white people and Hispanics were cotton-pickers in the rural South. I am a white woman, born and raised in Arkansas but now living in the North, married to an architect. I picked cotton in the 1950's for spending money, along with my peers. I am proud of the fact and have a tendancy to brag about it
I don't know if Dobbs meant it as a slur; I don't know Lou Dobbs and if he is or is not racist. What I do see in this person who is creating a "Lou Dobbs Watch" the same sort of biased, tendential reporting that is the hallmark of groups like Brent Bozell's Media Watch, or David Brock's Media Matters. Both pretend to be "watchdogs," but in fact do little more than wait like jackals for their pre-determined targets to say something that can be snatched out of context and then used like a bludgeon.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:42 AM

299 posts, read 546,883 times
Quote:
He stopped what he was saying because he realized that some race-based huckster would try to make a mountain out of it. Witness the Huffington Post and YOU. The comment, IF completed, was directed at ALL politicians, NOT Condi Rice.
Like so many we know in this forum. (ahem) We certainly know which ones they are.

I really have to laugh at anyone who is going to waste their time watching shows, that they apprently don't agree with, just so they can hopefully catch someone saying something they will deem as racist, but really won't be of course.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
Mach, did you read your link? Definition Two of your own post says exactly what Guy posted above:

I don't know if Dobbs meant it as a slur; I don't know Lou Dobbs and if he is or is not racist. What I do see in this person who is creating a "Lou Dobbs Watch" the same sort of biased, tendential reporting that is the hallmark of groups like Brent Bozell's Media Watch, or David Brock's Media Matters. Both pretend to be "watchdogs," but in fact do little more than wait like jackals for their pre-determined targets to say something that can be snatched out of context and then used like a bludgeon.
Exactly correct. If I remember correct, Lou said he worked out in the fields with migrants when he was a child.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post

In my post I said there are both definitions, then I said look at the votes of who agrees with the definitions.

Quote:
cotton-picker 70 up, 28 down
A racist slur to represent a black person, or person of African heritage......this word is used because in the Age of Our Founding Fathers, when blacks were slaves, they were known to mostly pick cotton.
"Stop picking on me you ****in' cotton-picker!"
by Dave May 13, 2004 email it 0 comments

2. cotton-picker 36 up, 54 down
Anyways I don't watch Lou Dobbs, this was a known slur amongst many that have been noted coming out of his mouth. Sorry if he is your boy, but the guy messed up and almost lost his job because of it.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
In my post I said there are both definitions, then I said look at the votes of who agrees with the definitions.

Anyways I don't watch Lou Dobbs, this was a known slur amongst many that have been noted coming out of his mouth. Sorry is he is your boy, but the guy messed up.
So what if he did mess up? It isn't like "your" boys and girls don't mess up all of the time. I am sure that you don't want to discuss the blurbs and outright hateful remarks that come out of the mouths of many of the La Raza types or the Chicanos who wish to make this country into Mexico. I am talking about the remarks to kill, if necessary, all Anglo whites to get what they want. That has been touted for years by many different people, all part of "your" people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration