U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what should I do?
return to my country 24 64.86%
stay, become legal and try to live my American Dream 10 27.03%
you don't give a damn 5 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:31 PM

8,935 posts, read 15,847,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
You said the magic word. Sponsor. Some else had to do it. An individual can not do it. That is my point. If nobody hired illegals then we wouldn't have the problem we have. Companies would be forced to sponsor people. That is not going to happen anytime soon. So calling the illegal criminals doesn't do anything. The real criminals are the companies that take advantage of them. I recently met a Mexican woman who came to my home to clean. She told me she was illegal and had recently paid a loan at 33% for her car. The lender took advantage of her status. She was employed by a subcontractor of a major builder. She is not the only illegal I have come across that way. My point is that if she was able to apply for some work permit then all those unscrupulous people wouldn't be profiting like there are.
there is a lottery for individuals where they can become their own sponsor - there is also asylum & refugee status

however, it is reasonable to expect people to be able to support themselves (i.e. have a job) before allowing them to reside in the country

i think we may even be on the same page as I stated earlier that illegals make it more difficult for the process to work for those trying to do it the right way

i also agree about the problems with employers - however it's almost impossible to get someone to either pass or enforce legislation that will punish employers who hire illegals

Old 07-16-2008, 01:46 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,837,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
there is a lottery for individuals where they can become their own sponsor - there is also asylum & refugee status

however, it is reasonable to expect people to be able to support themselves (i.e. have a job) before allowing them to reside in the country

i think we may even be on the same page as I stated earlier that illegals make it more difficult for the process to work for those trying to do it the right way

i also agree about the problems with employers - however it's almost impossible to get someone to either pass or enforce legislation that will punish employers who hire illegals
The lottery excludes several countries Mexico included. I agree with your points. Here is an idea that just came to me. Allow individuals to apply for their own work visas. Then have them sign an agreement to pay a special tax for x number of years. Kind of like Social Security. Then after that they can apply for permanent residency.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:48 PM

34 posts, read 68,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Well, to be fair, I'm not the only person who came to this conclusion. You were a fun troll nevertheless.
I wasn't trying to be a troll. My situation is real however unlikely it might sound. I think the big news here is that you guys are so braced in your stereotypical mindset that you simply refuse to accept the fact that an illegal alien would have the time on his hands to start a thread like this and express himself so articulately in a discussion.

Of course I'm gonna brag about the number of posts in my thread. It is impressive and that's regardless of whether I am pretending (which I'm not and I don't know how many times I have to say this for you to believe me). I have debunked the stereotype you guys had in your narrow minds of illegal immigrants and you just can't accept it so you find it easier to dismiss me as a troll. I'll leave your little minds confused, at least you'll spend less time trashing people who want to live the American Dream.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:51 PM

300 posts, read 481,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
I suspect you are right. There is something off about this whole thread.
Which is exactly why I quit replying to him and the other illegal lovers in here. He is nothing but a troll, as I said first off.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:52 PM

16,700 posts, read 18,909,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
You said the magic word. Sponsor. Some else had to do it. An individual can not do it. That is my point. If nobody hired illegals then we wouldn't have the problem we have. Companies would be forced to sponsor people. That is not going to happen anytime soon. So calling the illegal criminals doesn't do anything. The real criminals are the companies that take advantage of them. I recently met a Mexican woman who came to my home to clean. She told me she was illegal and had recently paid a loan at 33% for her car. The lender took advantage of her status. She was employed by a subcontractor of a major builder. She is not the only illegal I have come across that way. My point is that if she was able to apply for some work permit then all those unscrupulous people wouldn't be profiting like there are.
Without a sponsor (i.e. mentor), how would an immigrant adjust to life over here? It would be incredibly difficult at best... Coming over for the sake of coming over here does little good for the immigrant if they can't speak English or cope with the cultural change over here to get a job. A sponsor is in a way protecting (or sometimes abusing) the immigrant. The sponsor is obligated to help the immigrant, financially. If that Mexican woman that came over here legally with a responsible sponsor, I can guarantee you she wouldn't be paying 33% car loan interest. The keyword is "responsible sponsor"... I don't deny that there are a lot of unscrupulous people... The fact that she came here illegaly and is "paying" for it symbolizes the need to clamp down on illegal immigration... If you want to come here and work... get in line... there are also Americans looking for work... What does illegal immigration do to benefit America? Cheap labor and potential customers. Both of which benefits Big Business... What are the costs? Medical liability, criminal activity, and social programs. Who pays for all that? US Taxpayers... Illegal immigration benefits ONLY one group and that is Big Business at the cost to taxpayers... We NEED legal immigration and to enforce strict anti-illegal immigration policies because this country wasn't built for corporations but for Americans... more specifically legal Americans...

Old 07-16-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Costume View Post
It has nothing to do with whether your posts are articulate or not. Try again.
He attacks and then gets upset when people attack back. Troll behavior and nothing else. Not one person said a thing about anyone being articulate, but he wanted to start more trouble along the way.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:53 PM

16,700 posts, read 18,909,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanalien View Post
I wasn't trying to be a troll. My situation is real however unlikely it might sound. I think the big news here is that you guys are so braced in your stereotypical mindset that you simply refuse to accept the fact that an illegal alien would have the time on his hands to start a thread like this and express himself so articulately in a discussion.

Of course I'm gonna brag about the number of posts in my thread. It is impressive and that's regardless of whether I am pretending (which I'm not and I don't know how many times I have to say this for you to believe me). I have debunked the stereotype you guys had in your narrow minds of illegal immigrants and you just can't accept it so you find it easier to dismiss me as a troll. I'll leave your little minds confused, at least you'll spend less time trashing people who want to live the American Dream.
you are a troll.. and you debunk nothing... troll

Old 07-16-2008, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Or a Troll.

Regardless I think this whole thread has been a waste of time.
I do agree with you!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or