U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: what should I do?
return to my country 24 64.86%
stay, become legal and try to live my American Dream 10 27.03%
you don't give a damn 5 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2008, 09:58 AM
 
34 posts, read 68,238 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Thanks for the good advice everyone. I do live in fear though because of my status. I feel ashamed for living outside of the law but I do remain optimistic that I will be able to realize legal assimilation one day.

 
Old 07-16-2008, 10:00 AM
 
1,756 posts, read 4,918,634 times
Reputation: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanalien View Post
Why do you blame me for wanting to partake in this great liberty, isn't this a simple craving of the human soul?
B/C you could be lying.

Most illegal Mexicans don't come here to be Americans, they come to make money and send it back to Mexico.

A terrorist could say the exact same thing as you and we're just supposed to take his word for it. I don't think so.

I'm not saying your intentions are false, but your breaking the law and need to be handled accordingly. As a citizen, if I break the law, I have to face the consequences...
..why shouldn't you???? If you really want to be a citizen, you would see this distinction.
 
Old 07-16-2008, 10:01 AM
 
1,756 posts, read 4,918,634 times
Reputation: 548
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanalien View Post
Thanks for the good advice everyone. I do live in fear though because of my status. I feel ashamed for living outside of the law but I do remain optimistic that I will be able to realize legal assimilation one day.
How do you think you are going to obtain this? I'm curious, are you hanging around and just hoping a law gets passed that makes you legal?
 
Old 07-16-2008, 10:07 AM
 
34 posts, read 68,238 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Good luck with you're new life here.
Why, thank you Go Ne. I really do need some good luck.
 
Old 07-16-2008, 10:09 AM
 
34 posts, read 68,238 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
B/C you could be lying.

Most illegal Mexicans don't come here to be Americans, they come to make money and send it back to Mexico.

A terrorist could say the exact same thing as you and we're just supposed to take his word for it. I don't think so.

I'm not saying your intentions are false, but your breaking the law and need to be handled accordingly. As a citizen, if I break the law, I have to face the consequences...
..why shouldn't you???? If you really want to be a citizen, you would see this distinction.
An excellent point, but you are being absolute. What do you think of the US policy towards Cuban Americans who come here then?
 
Old 07-16-2008, 10:12 AM
 
19 posts, read 53,269 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanalien View Post
I am an illegal alien in the United States. I guess that makes me a leper on this site. One of the reasons I signed up with City-Data is due to the fact that I was appalled to see all the vitriol that was being leveled against "people of my kind on this site" and I thought it was important to share my story as an illegal immigrant so you can get a perspective from the other side for once. I am not your typical illegal immigrant, or at least I don't fit the stereotype that many of you have in your minds. I am not Mexican and I did not walk across the border. I speak perfect English and is college educated. I came to this country legally as a tourist but have since overstayed my visa. I love the United States. Honestly I would admit that I came here with the intention of not returning to my homeland. I am in love with America and I can't imagine spending my life anywhere else but here. I want to live the American Dream one day like everybody else. I consider myself an intellectual refugee. I came to this country not just looking for a better economic environment, if that was all, I could have gone to Canada or England where I have family but I came to the United States because I believe in the ideals of this country. I share a strong sense of feeling with American values which I believe are superior to any other country on earth. I think it is those fundamental values enshrined in this country's declaration of independence namely: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness that have made America one of the greatest civilizations ever in the history of mankind. Why do you blame me for wanting to partake in this great liberty, isn't this a simple craving of the human soul?

I know you are going to counter strongly by saying that America is country of laws and it can't just accept anyone who wants to live here. Your point is well taken but if that was an absolute rule, many of your fore-parents would never have been allowed to settle here. I see myself as an American on the inside and I am determined to become a citizen of this country eventually no matter how difficult it may be. I would join this country's armed forces if given the opportunity to do so because I think this Democracy is worth fighting for. Those of you who are Americans, count yourselves blessed but all I'm saying is don't badmouth all us "illegal aliens" as we are not a homogeneous group. God Bless America.
You have no right to be in this country and if you really do love this country you would come her the legal way, your country hates you
 
Old 07-16-2008, 10:18 AM
 
34 posts, read 68,238 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
How do you think you are going to obtain this? I'm curious, are you hanging around and just hoping a law gets passed that makes you legal?
I don't know exactly how. I might fall in love and get married to an American citizen - who knows, even though I don't like that because I believe marriage should be a genuine lifetime commitment with someone you really love and not just an avenue for a greater means. I really wouldn't mind having to earn my citizenship. I mean whatever I have to do I'll do it.
 
Old 07-16-2008, 10:26 AM
 
8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Reputation: 2873
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanalien View Post
I don't know exactly how. I might fall in love and get married to an American citizen - who knows, even though I don't like that because I believe marriage should be a genuine lifetime commitment with someone you really love and not just an avenue for a greater means. I really wouldn't mind having to earn my citizenship. I mean whatever I have to do I'll do it.
So you are willing to prostitute yourself? Or at least your ideals? Because that is what you are doing. You claim to love America and the constitution. However, with love comes responsibilities --- responsibilities you are dodging.
By the way, how are you making a living? I imagine that you are not granted a work permit based on a tourist visa?
Go home, start the paper work and do it right. Be able to look yourself in the mirror, because as it stands now you are breaking at least one law and that is hardly the basis to build a new life.
 
Old 07-16-2008, 10:29 AM
 
34 posts, read 68,238 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braybray View Post
You have no right to be in this country and if you really do love this country you would come her the legal way, your country hates you
You are very negative. I'll not allow your little comment to 'get to me'. I love this country and you can't tell me otherwise. I'll believe in this country no matter what. The overwhelming majority of Americans are positive people. Your sentiment sounds very anti-american.
 
Old 07-16-2008, 10:33 AM
 
Location: TX
740 posts, read 1,805,937 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanalien View Post
I am an illegal alien in the United States. I guess that makes me a leper on this site. One of the reasons I signed up with City-Data is due to the fact that I was appalled to see all the vitriol that was being leveled against "people of my kind on this site" and I thought it was important to share my story as an illegal immigrant so you can get a perspective from the other side for once. I am not your typical illegal immigrant, or at least I don't fit the stereotype that many of you have in your minds. I am not Mexican and I did not walk across the border. I speak perfect English and is college educated. I came to this country legally as a tourist but have since overstayed my visa. I love the United States. Honestly I would admit that I came here with the intention of not returning to my homeland. I am in love with America and I can't imagine spending my life anywhere else but here. I want to live the American Dream one day like everybody else. I consider myself an intellectual refugee. I came to this country not just looking for a better economic environment, if that was all, I could have gone to Canada or England where I have family but I came to the United States because I believe in the ideals of this country. I share a strong sense of feeling with American values which I believe are superior to any other country on earth. I think it is those fundamental values enshrined in this country's declaration of independence namely: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness that have made America one of the greatest civilizations ever in the history of mankind. Why do you blame me for wanting to partake in this great liberty, isn't this a simple craving of the human soul?

I know you are going to counter strongly by saying that America is country of laws and it can't just accept anyone who wants to live here. Your point is well taken but if that was an absolute rule, many of your fore-parents would never have been allowed to settle here. I see myself as an American on the inside and I am determined to become a citizen of this country eventually no matter how difficult it may be. I would join this country's armed forces if given the opportunity to do so because I think this Democracy is worth fighting for. Those of you who are Americans, count yourselves blessed but all I'm saying is don't badmouth all us "illegal aliens" as we are not a homogeneous group. God Bless America.
Couple of questions (just to be sure you're not yanking our chains).

1. What have you been doing to make a living?
2. Where do you currently live? City/state location will be fine.
3. How long have you overstayed your visa?
4. Do you still have your I-94? If yes, you are technically NOT an illegal. Alien, yes. Illegal, no.
5. Do you have a valid driver's license?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top