U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what should I do?
return to my country 24 64.86%
stay, become legal and try to live my American Dream 10 27.03%
you don't give a damn 5 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:07 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,133,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanalien View Post
Interesting how you don't tell the Cubans to "go home and do it legally". I'm not defending illegal immigration, I know I'm wrong but probably y'all should go pick those tomatoes yourselves and clean your own toilets if you were so sick of illegals and their "leeching off of the taxpayers".
I would be happy to pick my own food and we do clean our own toilets. We as a family have built our own homes by hand. I would love to see Americans working the fields and I am willing to bet they would do so if necessary. We have prisons full of able bodies trustees that can work. My son (in college) now has a job formerly held by an "illegal" and he is happy to have this job. I see Americans of all colors now doing the landscaping at our development and they look very happy to have these jobs. Don't take yourself so seriously, nobody else does.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:08 AM

34 posts, read 68,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
My great, great, great grandparents came from Ireland on a boat and went through the legal channels at the time. Go home. That was not meant to hurt your feelings. I would not sneak into your country or any other and demand, expect all the gratuities that this great nation hands out daily. You broke our laws and obviously do not give a damn about this country or you would have followed them like the good, honest people standing in line trying to get in. I would trade every one of you "illegals" for a dozen of the ones going through the proper channels, because they respect our law. You are here, not for a better life, but to raid our assets and take from it what you want. You contribute little and take much.
C'mon you can't compare immigration during the days of your great great grandparents to now. US Immigration policy was far more lax then than it is now. All you needed to settle in the US at that time was a ticket to cross the Atlantic on a steam ship, good health and a little money in your pocket to prove to the immigration official at Ellis Island that you could support yourself and your family until you find a job. That's all, no one had to sponsor you or anything. Things are significantly more difficult now. If you don't have a family or spouse to file for you now you have virtually no way to come here as an immigrant unless you are extremely rich and plan to invest several millions on the stock market. Many of the Irish Immigrants who came here during the height of immigration era spanning 1897-1924 were very poor working class people who were running from a potato faming in their land. Many of them would have been denied an immigrant visa according to today's strict immigration policy. I bet you don't think those starving Irish Immigrants were trying to raid America's assets and take from it what they want.

Last edited by americanalien; 07-16-2008 at 11:24 AM..

Old 07-16-2008, 11:09 AM

300 posts, read 481,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
Don't take yourself so seriously, nobody else does.
You have that right!!!! He is nothing but a troll anyway and has proven it by his opening post and his replying posts.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:12 AM

740 posts, read 1,805,740 times
Unless he volunteers more information about his alien status, I suspect "americanalien" isn't who he claims to be.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:14 AM

300 posts, read 481,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
Unless he volunteers more information about his alien status, I suspect "americanalien" isn't who he claims to be.
Like I said...a TROLL and nothing else. He is also a trouble maker, which is proven by all of his posts.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky Cynick View Post
You have that right!!!! He is nothing but a troll anyway and has proven it by his opening post and his replying posts.
Cynick you satisfy all the definitions of a troll so you are trying to relieve your guilt by throwing that accusation at me. You simply can't stand someone who has a differing opinion can you? I have been very rational and articulate in my argument. You sound irrational and and a bit nutty to say the least.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:18 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
Quote:
C'mon you can't compare immigration during the days of your great great grandparents to now. US Immigration policy was far more lax then than it is now. All you needed to settle in the US at that time was a ticket to cross the Atlantic on a steam ship, good health and a little money in your pocket to prove to the customs official at Ellis Island that you could support yourself and your family until you find a job. That's all, no one had to sponsor you or anything. Things are significantly more difficult now. If you don't have a family or spouse to file for you now you have virtually no way to come here as an immigrant unless you are extremely rich and plan to invest several millions on the stock market. Many of the Irish Immigrants who came here during the height of immigration era spanning 1897-1924 were very poor working class people who were running from a potato faming in their land. Many of them would have been denied an immigrant visa according to today's strict immigration policy. I bet you don't think those starving Irish Immigrants were trying to raid America's assets and take from it what they want.
OF COURSE American immigration policy was different 100 years ago. America was different 100 years ago. This nation has gotten to a point that WE DON'T NEED millions of immigrants anymore. If you don't like the rules, don't play the GAME!

BTW, when the Irish came during the Potato Famine, America was NOT a welfare state.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:18 AM

2,568 posts, read 5,837,600 times
Quote:
C'mon you can't compare immigration during the days of your great great grandparents to now. US Immigration policy was far more lax then than it is now. All you needed to settle in the US at that time was a ticket to cross the Atlantic on a steam ship, good health and a little money in your pocket to prove to the customs official at Ellis Island that you could support yourself and your family until you find a job. That's all, no one had to sponsor you or anything. Things are significantly more difficult now. If you don't have a family or spouse to file for you now you have virtually no way to come here as an immigrant unless you are extremely rich and plan to invest several millions on the stock market. Many of the Irish Immigrants who came here during the height of immigration era spanning 1897-1924 were very poor working class people who were running from a potato faming in their land. Many of them would have been denied an immigrant visa according to today's strict immigration policy. I bet you don't think those starving Irish Immigrants were trying to raid America's assets and take from it what they want.

Well said. Yes a lot of people sit on their high horse and call others criminals when their ancestors may have done the same thing if they had to to survive.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
phoenix, you've been one of the less acerbic commenter on this thread but I will say this, I wasn't born yesterday. I know why you're asking me all this information. I will not say anything that will jeopardize my already tenuous status so you can drop it now.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky Cynick View Post
Like I said...a TROLL and nothing else. He is also a trouble maker, which is proven by all of his posts.
Quirky are you ignorant or just choose to act ignorant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or