U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: what should I do?
return to my country 24 64.86%
stay, become legal and try to live my American Dream 10 27.03%
you don't give a damn 5 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:27 AM
 
34 posts, read 68,281 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
Well said. Yes a lot of people sit on their high horse and call others criminals when their ancestors may have done the same thing if they had to to survive.
Thank you Suzie. At least there is one sane person around here.

 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:31 AM
 
Location: TX
740 posts, read 1,806,934 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanalien View Post
phoenix, you've been one of the less acerbic commenter on this thread but I will say this, I wasn't born yesterday. I know why you're asking me all this information. I will not say anything that will jeopardize my already tenuous status so you can drop it now.
Your 'status' is already jeopardized the moment you outed yourself as an "illegal alien". If you are who you say you are, any information you add about your status isn't going to help or hurt. Why are you on this forum anyway? You ought to be seeking a community that would support someone like yourself.
 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:33 AM
 
34 posts, read 68,281 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
OF COURSE American immigration policy was different 100 years ago. America was different 100 years ago. This nation has gotten to a point that WE DON'T NEED millions of immigrants anymore. If you don't like the rules, don't play the GAME!

BTW, when the Irish came during the Potato Famine, America was NOT a welfare state.
So you used us when it was convenient to do so and discarded us like used toilet paper when your loins got too big, interesting .
 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:37 AM
 
34 posts, read 68,281 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
Your 'status' is already jeopardized the moment you outed yourself as an "illegal alien". If you are who you say you are, any information you add about your status isn't going to help or hurt. Why are you on this forum anyway? You ought to be seeking a community that would support someone like yourself.
I like debating and I'm not looking for people to kiss up to me. I love this country and everything about it, including some of the folks on this site who are giving me a hard time. I like fighting for what I believe in, that's the American way.
 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:37 AM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,998,873 times
Reputation: 332
To be perfectly honest, I dont really sympathize with your situation. You appear to be educated, and I'm assuming you are well off.
If you came on a student visa, and realized you loved the country, you had the means to immigrate here legally and I really think you shouldve gone for it. With your background, I'm sure you could have a comfortable life as a legal immigrant.

When I say that, I dont mean to criticize or judge, but thats just my take on the situation.

However, I think its very big of you to come out on a forum that is clearly hostile to illegal immigrants to say your piece. I hope you find a way to be here legally since you probably have a better chance than some of the more unfortunate illegals.
 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
2,568 posts, read 5,842,529 times
Reputation: 1905
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanalien View Post
Thank you Suzie. At least there is one sane person around here.
I just think the solution to the problem is to change immigration laws. Illegal immigrants are taken advantage all the time because of their fear of being deported. If there was a way to became legal even if it is paying a special tax most of them would do it. There has to be a middle ground between sending them all back(unrealistic) and the status quo. JMHO.
 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:39 AM
 
Location: TX
740 posts, read 1,806,934 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanalien View Post
I like debating and I'm not looking for people to kiss up to me. I love this country and everything about it, including some of the folks on this site who are giving me a hard time. I like fighting for what I believe in, that's the American way.
So where (home country) did you come from?
 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:40 AM
 
34 posts, read 68,281 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I just think the solution to the problem is to change immigration laws. Illegal immigrants are taken advantage all the time because of their fear of being deported. If there was a way to became legal even if it is paying a special tax most of them would do it. There has to be a middle ground between sending them all back(unrealistic) and the status quo. JMHO.
Exactly, and that is where the rest of mainstream America lies. Americans are not extremists like some on this site. They are a practical set of people and like taking the middle ground on most issues. I presume that comprehensive immigration reform will become a reality sooner than later.
 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:41 AM
 
8,938 posts, read 15,865,392 times
Reputation: 6659
America adapting it's immigration laws is not different than any other modern nation that has done the same - in fact, it is still often easier to get into the US then it is in many European countries - just try and get a work permit in a place like Norway, it's tough and there is no way they would tolerate anyone staying over

You have to follow the laws of your time in history. Should I be allowed to grow, use & distribute drugs because they were not illegal in the 1800s? After all, my ancestors could of done it that way.

I'm only interesting in having people capable of following the laws enter this nation. I really feel bad for people like those above who are going through the chanels and dealing with all the angst of doing it the right way.

They have my respect.

Also, you marriage plan could very possibly fail if you ever exit the country. I had a friend who is now living in Australia because he married an Australian women here in the US. They went back to Australia to celebrate with here family. She was not allowed back into the US.

People like you who go out of your way to skirt the system only make it harder for those who are trying to do things the right way.
 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:42 AM
 
2,790 posts, read 5,578,169 times
Reputation: 1913
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I would trade every one of you "illegals" for a dozen of the ones going through the proper channels, because they respect our law. You are here, not for a better life, but to raid our assets and take from it what you want. You contribute little and take much.
Does simply respecting our laws make them more desirable? I understnad where you are coming from but I think a blanket statement like that is rather brash. History is full of poeple who followed our laws to get in, and then caused all kinds of havoc once they got here. The same could be said for them raiding assets, contributing little, and taking much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top