U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: what should I do?
return to my country 24 64.86%
stay, become legal and try to live my American Dream 10 27.03%
you don't give a damn 5 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:43 AM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,788,600 times
Reputation: 6264

Advertisements

Um so why didn't you go to Canada or England - do they actually enforce immigration laws?

 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:44 AM
 
8,936 posts, read 15,857,638 times
Reputation: 6649
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
However, I think its very big of you to come out on a forum that is clearly hostile to illegal immigrants to say your piece.
I completely disagree. Typing some sentences on an anonymous message board doesn't make anyone big. It takes zero courage to do such a thing.

What would take some heart is to realize that the country you supposedly love is dictated by law & order and even though it may not be the most personally convenient, to respect these lays and follow the legal process.
 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,174,996 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanalien View Post
So you used us when it was convenient to do so and discarded us like used toilet paper when your loins got too big, interesting .
Used??? Us??? Say WHAT?!?!?
 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:45 AM
 
34 posts, read 68,266 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
So where (home country) did you come from?
I came from Uranus!
 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:51 AM
 
34 posts, read 68,266 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Used??? Us??? Say WHAT?!?!?
Naughty Pinestra, you know I was referring to immigrants in general.
 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:51 AM
 
6,011 posts, read 6,728,490 times
Reputation: 739
why cant an illegal mexican come here to be american? i dont think you should work inthe U.S to help your country out, as i seen before theres a rich mexico and a poor one

MEXICO'S HYPOCRISY- MEXICO IS NOT A POOR NATION,ITS LIKE THE U.S

YouTube - Mexico's Hypocrisy


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFrjn...eature=related


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a2-9sPeSoA

 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:51 AM
 
28,906 posts, read 45,220,684 times
Reputation: 45815
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanalien View Post
I am an illegal alien in the United States. I guess that makes me a leper on this site. One of the reasons I signed up with City-Data is due to the fact that I was appalled to see all the vitriol that was being leveled against "people of my kind on this site" and I thought it was important to share my story as an illegal immigrant so you can get a perspective from the other side for once. I am not your typical illegal immigrant, or at least I don't fit the stereotype that many of you have in your minds. I am not Mexican and I did not walk across the border. I speak perfect English and is college educated. I came to this country legally as a tourist but have since overstayed my visa. I love the United States. Honestly I would admit that I came here with the intention of not returning to my homeland. I am in love with America and I can't imagine spending my life anywhere else but here. I want to live the American Dream one day like everybody else. I consider myself an intellectual refugee. I came to this country not just looking for a better economic environment, if that was all, I could have gone to Canada or England where I have family but I came to the United States because I believe in the ideals of this country. I share a strong sense of feeling with American values which I believe are superior to any other country on earth. I think it is those fundamental values enshrined in this country's declaration of independence namely: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness that have made America one of the greatest civilizations ever in the history of mankind. Why do you blame me for wanting to partake in this great liberty, isn't this a simple craving of the human soul?

I know you are going to counter strongly by saying that America is country of laws and it can't just accept anyone who wants to live here. Your point is well taken but if that was an absolute rule, many of your fore-parents would never have been allowed to settle here. I see myself as an American on the inside and I am determined to become a citizen of this country eventually no matter how difficult it may be. I would join this country's armed forces if given the opportunity to do so because I think this Democracy is worth fighting for. Those of you who are Americans, count yourselves blessed but all I'm saying is don't badmouth all us "illegal aliens" as we are not a homogeneous group. God Bless America.
Okay. First of all, thanks for the kind words.

That being said, you need to realize some important points.

1. The United States is a sovereign country, which means that we have a sovereign right to regulate the flow of people over our borders. If one of our citizens snuck into Mexico or Germany or New Zealand, we would never question the right of those countries to evict him speedily and without hearing. Why you think the United States has lesser sovereign rights in that regard is beyond me.

2. I suppose at some time or another, immigration regulations were a lot more lax than they are today. However, using that to justify your presence here is a ridiculous argument. 200 years ago in this country, the use of marijuana, cocaine, and opium was perfectly legal. However, that does not give us the right to use those drugs today. Laws change and new laws come into existence based on the perceived needs of society as a whole. While bringing those laws into question certainly offers you a slight moral advantage, it does not give you the right to be here.

3. We love our country too. My great grandparents came in through Ellis Island and had to go through lengthy inspection. However, many on the boat were rejected and sent back to their respective countries, because the immigration authorities had clear-cut guidelines on who would be accepted into this country. Some of those guidelines would be outrageous today. Others, such as those with chronic health issues, could be argued to be sensible precautions taken in the interest of public health.

4. At the same time, we love the concept of fairness. One friend of mine patiently waited six years for his work visa before he could come here. It is patently unfair to him that you defy our laws and still expect the same outcome of citizenship.

So, in short, get back on the airliner, go back to your home country, and begin the process in a legal, above-board way. Because we are a nation of immigrants, and we cherish immigrants who come here the right way in accordance with our laws. Not people who flout our hospitality or wriggle in under the barbed wire fence when the border patrol isn't watching.
 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:53 AM
 
6,011 posts, read 6,728,490 times
Reputation: 739
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanalien View Post
I came from Uranus!
LOL. someone can take that in 2 ways
 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:54 AM
 
Location: TX
740 posts, read 1,806,426 times
Reputation: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I completely disagree. Typing some sentences on an anonymous message board doesn't make anyone big. It takes zero courage to do such a thing.
Not only that. Anybody can pretend to be anybody, like "americanalien" pretending to be an illegal alien under the pretext of debating with others.
 
Old 07-16-2008, 11:55 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
2,568 posts, read 5,840,432 times
Reputation: 1905
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
So, in short, get back on the airliner, go back to your home country, and begin the process in a legal, above-board way.
What legal ways are available to him? Other than marriage I don't see any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top