U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what should I do?
return to my country 24 64.86%
stay, become legal and try to live my American Dream 10 27.03%
you don't give a damn 5 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 PM

740 posts, read 1,805,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
where are you from, i dont think canada is all that nicer to mexican immigrants there are that many there,thats if you are mexican
He's neither mexican nor illegal nor alien. Probably a troll. Read his OP. Something about it doesn't seem right.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Rei

494 posts, read 1,600,432 times
Everything changes, including immigration laws.
Just because it was okay according to the laws back then, doesn't mean it's ok now.
Yesterday is yesterday, and today is today. What the law says today, is the one you should follow.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:10 PM

8,936 posts, read 15,851,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Apart from marriage, every other way involves him leaving the U.S and invoking the 10 year ban for overstaying his visa.
So.................

After 10 years he would still be eligible and then could establish a life in this country for himself and his family.

Once again it comes down to wanting it all without having any regard for others or the laws.

The OP should of either extended their visa or should of left the country within the alloted time. Now to come back legally he has to wait longer because he willingly broke the law.

Crime & Punishment is more than just a good read.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:13 PM

28,906 posts, read 45,202,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
What legal ways are available to him? Other than marriage I don't see any.
That's not really my problem, given how he chose an illegal method to begin with.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,838,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Plenty of ways detailed here

USCIS Home Page
That is not a list just a home page. I am telling there isn't a way please prove me wrong.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:15 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Oops... Too bad, so sad.

Be a whoer or go home and WAIT.
How do you know he doesn't have an American citizen girlfried that he loves already? Last time i checked, there are no laws preventing illegal immigrants from falling in love and marrying american citizens.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:16 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,838,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
That's not really my problem, given how he chose an illegal method to begin with.
I thought we had moved on to a general discussion not just about the OP.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
So.................

After 10 years he would still be eligible and then could establish a life in this country for himself and his family.

Once again it comes down to wanting it all without having any regard for others or the laws.

The OP should of either extended their visa or should of left the country within the alloted time. Now to come back legally he has to wait longer because he willingly broke the law.

Crime & Punishment is more than just a good read.
The likelihood of him being given a visa after a 10 year ban is very remote. The 10 year ban is just a polite way of telling them you are never going to be given a chance to come back legally again.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanalien View Post
I am an illegal alien in the United States. I guess that makes me a leper on this site. One of the reasons I signed up with City-Data is due to the fact that I was appalled to see all the vitriol that was being leveled against "people of my kind on this site" and I thought it was important to share my story as an illegal immigrant so you can get a perspective from the other side for once. I am not your typical illegal immigrant, or at least I don't fit the stereotype that many of you have in your minds. I am not Mexican and I did not walk across the border. I speak perfect English and is college educated. I came to this country legally as a tourist but have since overstayed my visa. I love the United States. Honestly I would admit that I came here with the intention of not returning to my homeland. I am in love with America and I can't imagine spending my life anywhere else but here. I want to live the American Dream one day like everybody else. I consider myself an intellectual refugee. I came to this country not just looking for a better economic environment, if that was all, I could have gone to Canada or England where I have family but I came to the United States because I believe in the ideals of this country. I share a strong sense of feeling with American values which I believe are superior to any other country on earth. I think it is those fundamental values enshrined in this country's declaration of independence namely: Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness that have made America one of the greatest civilizations ever in the history of mankind. Why do you blame me for wanting to partake in this great liberty, isn't this a simple craving of the human soul?

I know you are going to counter strongly by saying that America is country of laws and it can't just accept anyone who wants to live here. Your point is well taken but if that was an absolute rule, many of your fore-parents would never have been allowed to settle here. I see myself as an American on the inside and I am determined to become a citizen of this country eventually no matter how difficult it may be. I would join this country's armed forces if given the opportunity to do so because I think this Democracy is worth fighting for. Those of you who are Americans, count yourselves blessed but all I'm saying is don't badmouth all us "illegal aliens" as we are not a homogeneous group. God Bless America.
How old are you and what country did you come from?

Old 07-16-2008, 12:19 PM

218 posts, read 392,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_talons View Post
He's neither mexican nor illegal nor alien. Probably a troll. Read his OP. Something about it doesn't seem right.
I suspect you are right. There is something off about this whole thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or