Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what should I do?
return to my country 24 64.86%
stay, become legal and try to live my American Dream 10 27.03%
you don't give a damn 5 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 11:56 AM

34 posts, read 73,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Um so why didn't you go to Canada or England - do they actually enforce immigration laws?
Um because I think that America is greater than those two respective countries. America rocks, no other country comes close. I could have gone to either Canada or England as I have relatives there who could sponsor me but my heart is with America and I don't want to live anywhere else but here.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:58 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Then you better get your act together.

Old 07-16-2008, 11:59 AM

742 posts, read 2,067,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanalien View Post
Um because I think that America is greater than those two respective countries. America rocks, no other country comes close. I could have gone to either Canada or England as I have relatives there who could sponsor me but my heart is with America and I don't want to live anywhere else but here.
What is it specifically about America that rocks over the other two countries?

Old 07-16-2008, 11:59 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times
Quote:
Naughty Pinestra, you know I was referring to immigrants in general.
GuyPinestra has a little trouble with comprehension. You have to give him a little time and a small boost sometimes, but he always ends up getting it.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:00 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
Quote:
where are you from, i dont think canada is all that nicer to mexican immigrants there are that many there,thats if you are mexican

Old 07-16-2008, 12:04 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
What legal ways are available to him? Other than marriage I don't see any.
Plenty of ways detailed here

USCIS Home Page

Old 07-16-2008, 12:04 PM

34 posts, read 73,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. First of all, thanks for the kind words.

That being said, you need to realize some important points.

1. The United States is a sovereign country, which means that we have a sovereign right to regulate the flow of people over our borders. If one of our citizens snuck into Mexico or Germany or New Zealand, we would never question the right of those countries to evict him speedily and without hearing. Why you think the United States has lesser sovereign rights in that regard is beyond me.

2. I suppose at some time or another, immigration regulations were a lot more lax than they are today. However, using that to justify your presence here is a ridiculous argument. 200 years ago in this country, the use of marijuana, cocaine, and opium was perfectly legal. However, that does not give us the right to use those drugs today. Laws change and new laws come into existence based on the perceived needs of society as a whole. While bringing those laws into question certainly offers you a slight moral advantage, it does not give you the right to be here.

3. We love our country too. My great grandparents came in through Ellis Island and had to go through lengthy inspection. However, many on the boat were rejected and sent back to their respective countries, because the immigration authorities had clear-cut guidelines on who would be accepted into this country. Some of those guidelines would be outrageous today. Others, such as those with chronic health issues, could be argued to be sensible precautions taken in the interest of public health.

4. At the same time, we love the concept of fairness. One friend of mine patiently waited six years for his work visa before he could come here. It is patently unfair to him that you defy our laws and still expect the same outcome of citizenship.

So, in short, get back on the airliner, go back to your home country, and begin the process in a legal, above-board way. Because we are a nation of immigrants, and we cherish immigrants who come here the right way in accordance with our laws. Not people who flout our hospitality or wriggle in under the barbed wire fence when the border patrol isn't watching.
I rated your post positively because it was very articulate and objective. I wished everyone around here followed your example. You respectfully offered an opposing opinion without attacking me personally. Thanks.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:05 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Plenty of ways detailed here

USCIS Home Page
Apart from marriage, every other way involves him leaving the U.S and invoking the 10 year ban for overstaying his visa.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:07 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,947,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Okay. First of all, thanks for the kind words.

That being said, you need to realize some important points.

1. The United States is a sovereign country, which means that we have a sovereign right to regulate the flow of people over our borders. If one of our citizens snuck into Mexico or Germany or New Zealand, we would never question the right of those countries to evict him speedily and without hearing. Why you think the United States has lesser sovereign rights in that regard is beyond me.

2. I suppose at some time or another, immigration regulations were a lot more lax than they are today. However, using that to justify your presence here is a ridiculous argument. 200 years ago in this country, the use of marijuana, cocaine, and opium was perfectly legal. However, that does not give us the right to use those drugs today. Laws change and new laws come into existence based on the perceived needs of society as a whole. While bringing those laws into question certainly offers you a slight moral advantage, it does not give you the right to be here.

3. We love our country too. My great grandparents came in through Ellis Island and had to go through lengthy inspection. However, many on the boat were rejected and sent back to their respective countries, because the immigration authorities had clear-cut guidelines on who would be accepted into this country. Some of those guidelines would be outrageous today. Others, such as those with chronic health issues, could be argued to be sensible precautions taken in the interest of public health.

4. At the same time, we love the concept of fairness. One friend of mine patiently waited six years for his work visa before he could come here. It is patently unfair to him that you defy our laws and still expect the same outcome of citizenship.

So, in short, get back on the airliner, go back to your home country, and begin the process in a legal, above-board way. Because we are a nation of immigrants, and we cherish immigrants who come here the right way in accordance with our laws. Not people who flout our hospitality or wriggle in under the barbed wire fence when the border patrol isn't watching.
Woo hoo... and well said. I didn't spend a career in the Navy to protect illegal aliens.

The OP willingly and knowingly broke the law. I don't care the reasons other than survival (unless the OP will starve or be shot going back to their home country). And more than likely, that's not the case... because in my experience (I have lived in 4 other countries and visited almost 30) anyone who is that articulate and educated as our OP "seems" to be, had to have lived a privilaged life. No poor people get to go to college in a poor country. Only privilaged or well-to-do families do.

So we're back to the OP either doesn't care about our laws enough to blatently break them and "hope" for exception, or they really aren't from a foreign country.

I'm interested to know (as are many others)... give us your country of origin. Certainly can't be any harm in that.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:07 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,592,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Apart from marriage, every other way involves him leaving the U.S and invoking the 10 year ban for overstaying his visa.
Oops... Too bad, so sad.

Be a whoer or go home and WAIT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration