Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 09:42 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,752,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
No one, I repeat NO ONE, on death row in the United States of America has been tried and convicted without “due process.” They were not denied “counsel.” The argument (lame excuse) being used is that they did not have the opportunity to meet with members of the “Mexican Consulate” -- HUGE difference.
And yet we've put several innocent people on death row. Not everyone gets to benefit from cutting edge DNA testing technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2008, 10:16 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
And yet we've put several innocent people on death row. Not everyone gets to benefit from cutting edge DNA testing technology.
Is there NOTHING so low that you can't STOOP to support it, if it's for a Mexican, of course?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Is there NOTHING so low that you can't STOOP to support it, if it's for a Mexican, of course?
How is that stooping low?
I wasn't responding to the OP, but to the statement that every gets justice in our justice system.
Was I lying?

Old 07-16-2008, 10:22 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
people in prison have been found thru dna testing to have been erroneously charged.
as we progress with our high tech we will be better able to defend, and also be better able to accuse. the day will come when we no longer ask who you are and where have you been, we will already know.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
people in prison have been found thru dna testing to have been erroneously charged.
as we progress with our high tech we will be better able to defend, and also be better able to accuse.
Imagine if DNA testing could be applied to EVERY case out there? I bet the results would be shocking.

People on this board are so against groups like the ACLU, but they have helped free a few people who had their lives ruined by our justice system acting like a lynch mob.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:11 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Imagine if DNA testing could be applied to EVERY case out there? I bet the results would be shocking.

People on this board are so against groups like the ACLU, but they have helped free a few people who had their lives ruined by our justice system acting like a lynch mob.
So would you advocate for DNA samples of every citizen in the country? For each person who gets arrested must submit a sample?
I have no problem with that. Hell I would be happy to offer it up. When you don't commit crimes you don't really have a lot to fear from providing such samples.
Imagine a nationwide data base. Crime is committed. compare evidence to the data base and bingo we know who did it. It might be shocking how many unsolved crimes would be solved in a hurry.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:23 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,559,333 times
How did DNA testing become relevant in this discussion? Are the convicted murderers questioning the validity or reliability of the evidence presented? Are they claiming they were railroaded or falsely accused due to convictions based on circumstantial evidence? The answer to both is a resounding NO! Please correct me if I’m mistaken, but the ONLY issue involved in these cases is the failure of U.S. authorities to advise these murderers of the ‘availability’ of assistance from the Mexican Consulate.

One would have be living in a remote cave not to realize the importance of DNA testing in homicide cases; which is precisely why it is a routine and salient aspect of EVERY homicide and rape investigation.

It is easy to get “off topic” and I am also guilty of this; but can we stick to the topic, which is: should these convicted murderers not receive their “death” sentences simply due to a lack of Mexican Consulate involvement? Moreover, why is Mexico even involved, given the fact that they have essentially forced their miscreants out of their country and into the U.S. to wreak havoc? I have to run, but will return in a few hours.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:25 AM

299 posts, read 546,997 times
Quote:
Wjhich is why I have always been on the fence when it came to the death penalty. There are far too many innocent people who get convicted in our justice system, and unfortunately the majority of them happen to be minorities or jkust plain ass poor. I am for the death penalty if, and if being a very large word here, they can prove beyond a shadow of any doubt. I have found that eye witness accounts are not credible at all, especially when it happens to be a person of one race eye witnessing against a person of another race.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:26 AM

Quote:

I hate what the ACLU has become but I am all for the innocent being out and released. I am also for the innocents being able to sue the state and/or county for said incarceration.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How did DNA testing become relevant in this discussion? Are the convicted murderers questioning the validity or reliability of the evidence presented? Are they claiming they were railroaded or falsely accused due to convictions based on circumstantial evidence? The answer to both is a resounding NO! Please correct me if I’m mistaken, but the ONLY issue involved in these cases is the failure of U.S. authorities to advise these murderers of the ‘availability’ of assistance from the Mexican Consulate.

One would have be living in a remote cave not to realize the importance of DNA testing in homicide cases; which is precisely why it is a routine and salient aspect of EVERY homicide and rape investigation.

It is easy to get “off topic” and I am also guilty of this; but can we stick to the topic, which is: should these convicted murderers not receive their “death” sentences simply due to a lack of Mexican Consulate involvement? Moreover, why is Mexico even involved, given the fact that they have essentially forced their miscreants out of their country and into the U.S. to wreak havoc? I have to run, but will return in a few hours.
The world court has nothing to say, in my opinion, and should keep out of our affairs. I am sick of Mexico and Canada using the death penalty as a means to decide if they will extradite a criminal to us. Americans do not get the same treatment in their countries, well Canada does treat Americans better than Mexico for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration