Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 02:26 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,751,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
No-they are not "immigrants"-they are illegal aliens and lawbreakers. While some people may call them immigrants-they are not. OBL types may call them immigrants to try and give them the respect and validity that should be reserved for legal immigrants only. It is called muddying the waters. You state the only difference is taking the "proper steps" as if that difference is not a big deal. It is a very big deal and exactly the reason illegal aliens should never be called immigrants. Just another play out of the OBL playbook. If I were a legal immigrant, I would be pretty damn po'ed if I were getting lumped in with illegal aliens who broke the rules to get here. I am an American citizen and I think that it is disgusting lumping people who follow the rules-aka legal immigrants with lawbreakers who think they have a "right" to come here any way that they please.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

If you feel the only way you can fight illegal immigration is to dehumanize the "enemy" and make them seem more evil than they are, then thats all you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 02:28 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,592,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post

If you feel the only way you can fight illegal immigration is to dehumanize the "enemy" and make them seem more evil than they are, then thats all you.
Just exactly how is anything she wrote 'dehumanizing'?

Old 07-17-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Just exactly how is anything she wrote 'dehumanizing'?
Insisting one uses the word "criminal" or "alien" for illegal immigrants is dehumanizing what they see as the "enemy".
Thats why so many people use war analogies for this situation.
Its "them vs us"! They are "invading"! "Reconquista"! "Agenda!" etc etc.

When truth is, the problem of illegal immigration is in the numbers, the problem is with too much illegal immigration. The collective effect of so many being here and coming here.

But individually, not all of them are the villains many people here are trying to portray them as.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:34 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Quote:

So because I don't want people coming here illegally and breaking the law and because I make a distinction between illegal alien lawbreakers and legal immigrants I am "dehumanizing" them? Gotcha Name calling just another OBL tactic and quite typical. You cannot debate FACTS so pull out that crap. It is a shame that it is always something with you-crying racism or hate--now it is we are dehumanizing those that come here illegally? It is always something instead of debating fact. Instead of facts-name call. That is the real shame.

Since you said I am "dehumanizing them" please point out exactly where in my post I said that.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Insisting one uses the word "criminal" or "alien" for illegal immigrants is dehumanizing what they see as the "enemy".
Thats why so many people use war analogies for this situation.
Its "them vs us"! They are "invading"! "Reconquista"! "Agenda!" etc etc.

When truth is, the problem of illegal immigration is in the numbers, the problem is with too much illegal immigration. The collective effect of so many being here and coming here.

But individually, not all of them are the villains many people here are trying to portray them as.
In addition to real proof that I "dehumanized" them I would also like proof in my post as to where I called them the enemy.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:38 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
I made the statement because your claim that he going out getting Swedes or something like that is just stupid. He is targeting Mexicans, pure and simple. He is going to neighborhoods where Latinos and Hispanics predominate and pulling over people as a pretext to hassle them about their immigration status. If a white guy was pulled over, they wouldn't be asked about their green card. But if you have brown skin you get pestered about whether you are here illegally. That is racial profiling, pure and simple. No way around it.
Well if they aren't illegal they don't have anything to worry about, do they?

I don't see 20 million Swedes invading the USA...

Old 07-17-2008, 02:41 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Fantastic post except for the last sentence. I agreed with everything you had said until you said the words "racist" and "xenophobic" - in my experience, many people who have no problem with "brown" mestizo/indigenous Mexicans DO have a problem with Irishmen and Eastern Europeans who come illegally to Boston and NYC. I'd bet that there are plenty of people who are fascinated and enraged by the illegal immigrant "problem" in this country who are neither racist nor xenophobic. Sure, racism and xenophobia may be the motivation behind some people's opposition to illegal immigration, but I just don't think it's fair to associate all people who oppose illegal immigration with those insulting words.
I think if you look at the threads here (like the one with the English hairdresser) we have all been pretty consistently against illegal immigration no matter what the color.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:45 PM

Quote:
In addition to real proof that I "dehumanized" them I would also like proof in my post as to where I called them the enemy.
'
I see insisting on more negative terms for illegal immigrants as dehumanizing them.
Immigrant has is too nice of a term for you.
It has to be extremely negative. ALIEN.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
'
I see insisting on more negative terms for illegal immigrants as dehumanizing them.
Immigrant has is too nice of a term for you.
It has to be extremely negative. ALIEN.

So we should call people who ignore laws and rules nice fluffy happy sounding names? That is exactly the OBL playbook. Give them nice sounding names, lump them with LEGAL immigrants who play by the rules.

Alien = Foreigner.

Illegal is just that- illegal

An illegal alien is a foreigner that is here illegally-it is as simple as that. Sorry if the truth is too negative for you.

Old 07-17-2008, 02:52 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,120,382 times
Quote:
So because I don't want people coming here illegally and breaking the law and because I make a distinction between illegal alien lawbreakers and legal immigrants I am "dehumanizing" them? Gotcha Name calling just another OBL tactic and quite typical. You cannot debate FACTS so pull out that crap. It is a shame that it is always something with you-crying racism or hate--now it is we are dehumanizing those that come here illegally? It is always something instead of debating fact. Instead of facts-name call. That is the real shame.

Since you said I am "dehumanizing them" please point out exactly where in my post I said that.
The pro illegal side is becoming more and more strident because their side is losing the battle for public opinion--------big time.

It seems with every piece of legistlation pertaining to cracking down on the illegals and their enablers, the louder their howls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration