Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 07:37 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times

Advertisements

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's immigration and crime sweeps are being targeted in a lawsuit that alleged his officers have racially profiled countless Hispanics.

The attack on the sweeps alleged the officers based some traffic stops on the race of Hispanics who were in vehicles, had no probable cause to pull them over and made the stops so they could inquire about their immigration status.

Arpaio's sweeps are targeted in lawsuit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 10:51 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
One of the officers asked for a Social Security Card....

Who here carries their Social Security Cards? SS cards are to be locked up in a fire safe....not to be carried around as documentation.

Add to the fact that these are Americans....Big settlement coming. Big mistake by Joe's team...Remember the feds are watching now and this does not look good. Also bad news for the officer...I'm sure he will be fired by Joe.

Quote:
The suit says deputies asked David Rodriguez for a Social Security card, driver's license, vehicle registration and proof of insurance but did not ask for documentation from other drivers who had also driven down the same closed road.

When Jessica Rodriguez asked why the deputy needed to see a Social Security card, the deputy responded, "standard procedure," the suit says.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:58 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
I carry my social security card in my wallet... If pulled over, I hand over my license... and if they asked to see my social security card, they can see that too... as well as laminated birth certificate card...

Old 07-17-2008, 11:16 AM

299 posts, read 546,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I carry my social security card in my wallet... If pulled over, I hand over my license... and if they asked to see my social security card, they can see that too... as well as laminated birth certificate card...
Sorry, but if anyone asked to see my SS card, other than a worker at the SS office, they would get told that it was none of their business.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:32 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,844,914 times
If a police officer asked for it, I would show it... I have given out my social security to so many places I don't think its even a big secret anymore... credit card companies have it, licensing boards have it, workplace have, insurance companies have it... even the police officer probably has access to the database of SS numbers... if he wanted to know what my SSN is, its probably extremely easy to find out... my SSN card only validates it... but thats just my opinion...

Old 07-17-2008, 11:44 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
The federal agency that gave the officers the special training has said the sheriff has stayed within the bounds of its training agreement.
If the above statement is true, there should be no problem. They are attacking Sheriff Joe from every angle possible in an attempt to get him to stop the enforcement of immigration laws. As we know, they maliciously pursue anyone aggressively fighting illegal immigration.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:57 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If the above statement is true, there should be no problem. They are attacking Sheriff Joe from every angle possible in an attempt to get him to stop the enforcement of immigration laws. As we know, they maliciously pursue anyone aggressively fighting illegal immigration.
That is exactly how it is. They can't claim he's a racist because in his tents all of criminals are created equal. They all wear those nice pink jumpsuits and perform manual labor.

Old 07-17-2008, 11:58 AM

9,599 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio's immigration and crime sweeps are being targeted in a lawsuit that alleged his officers have racially profiled countless Hispanics.

The attack on the sweeps alleged the officers based some traffic stops on the race of Hispanics who were in vehicles, had no probable cause to pull them over and made the stops so they could inquire about their immigration status.
. . . and the BS and SPIN from the ILLEGAL LOVERS continues!

Old 07-17-2008, 04:19 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,404,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post

Arpaio's sweeps are targeted in lawsuit
Glad this suit was filed. I wish them luck.

But it will be hard given they must show intent, which is difficult when you face a the blue wall.

But, it serves a purpose of keeping Joe and his band of thugs in line and shining a light on their tactics. Checks and balances are a good thing, despite what the current administration in Washington believes.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:25 PM

299 posts, read 546,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irwin View Post
Glad this suit was filed. I wish them luck.

But it will be hard given they must show intent, which is difficult when you face a the blue wall.

But, it serves a purpose of keeping Joe and his band of thugs in line and shining a light on their tactics. Checks and balances are a good thing, despite what the current administration in Washington believes.
Gee whiz, not the illegals are doing anything ILLEGAL now is it?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration