Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 01:41 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cribster View Post
I am battling both as best I can through correspondence with my representatives and by spreading awareness.

As I've said before, America and it's citizens will be destoyed by M & M's (Mexicans and Muslims.)
That I strongly doubt:

OPEC will self destruct in the near future and Mexico may as well.

Besides: many Americans who are either Muslim or of Mexican background are true patriots as well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 02:32 PM

299 posts, read 546,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
I would agree for the most part with Muslims, I don't feel it with Mexicans.
That shows that you are a bigot.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:41 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,020 times
[quote=Quirky Cynick;4510966]That shows that you are a bigot.

No, not a bigot.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:46 PM

299 posts, read 546,927 times
[quote=sassyone;4511101]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky Cynick View Post
That shows that you are a bigot.

No, not a bigot.
You don't like Muslims but you like illegals, both of whom are invading and wanting and getting special treatment.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:04 PM

185 posts, read 355,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
That I strongly doubt:

OPEC will self destruct in the near future and Mexico may as well.

Besides: many Americans who are either Muslim or of Mexican background are true patriots as well
That's true AB, but there's a large movement/assembly going on that isn't talked about much.

Excuse me for wandering off topic for a sec.

Islamberg, upstate N.Y.

Jihad Watch: Islamberg, New York: "You can hear gunfire up there. I can't understand why the FBI won't shut it down"

There are hundreds of mosques springing up around America. There is a call to prayer tower, I think it's in Illinois. It's not operational yet but the very fact that it is even being built is disturbing.

I could go into a lot more but I don't want to derail the thread.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:59 PM

[quote=Quirky Cynick;4511173]
Quote:

You don't like Muslims but you like illegals, both of whom are invading and wanting and getting special treatment.
It is just one of those things I might like one person, but not like you.
I don't care much for judgemental people in general.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:13 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
[quote=sassyone;4515863]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky Cynick View Post

It is just one of those things I might like one person, but not like you.
I don't care much for judgemental people in general.
I understand....you don't care for judgemental people....because, in your opinion, you 'judge them' as being all too willing to judge others. Sort of like your saying "I'm pretty tolerant..but I just can't STAND those who are intolerant."

Makes a certain amount of sense, I guess. May I add another hypothetical theory? I think PART of the current prejudice against illegals has to do with ethnicity. IF the stereotypical American "man-in-the-street" can be assumed to be a narrow-minded, xenophobic bigot.......and IF we can assign the term "he" when speaking of this segment of society...then, is it POSSIBLE that "he" (the 'man in the street') may be assumed to experience CONSIDERABLE ALARM at the situation...and, indeed, that this may almost approach the point of 'panic'.....and thus we could say that "The American workingman is in a state of alarm, and illegal immigration is part of the cause of 'his panic' ".....and is it THEN too big a stretch to think that maybe "his panic" looks subliminally similar to "Hispanic"...and maybe THIS is the cause of much irrational fear? (after all, they're SPELLED the same....right?)...

Just a thought. Certainly we'd both agree that SOMETHING irrational is driving all this anti-immigrant bias..right? It couldn't POSSIBLY be that people are really that alarmed about a few hard-working new neighbors....could it?

Old 07-19-2008, 04:00 PM

[quote=macmeal;4522274]
Quote:

I understand....you don't care for judgemental people....because, in your opinion, you 'judge them' as being all too willing to judge others. Sort of like your saying "I'm pretty tolerant..but I just can't STAND those who are intolerant."

Makes a certain amount of sense, I guess. May I add another hypothetical theory? I think PART of the current prejudice against illegals has to do with ethnicity. IF the stereotypical American "man-in-the-street" can be assumed to be a narrow-minded, xenophobic bigot.......and IF we can assign the term "he" when speaking of this segment of society...then, is it POSSIBLE that "he" (the 'man in the street') may be assumed to experience CONSIDERABLE ALARM at the situation...and, indeed, that this may almost approach the point of 'panic'.....and thus we could say that "The American workingman is in a state of alarm, and illegal immigration is part of the cause of 'his panic' ".....and is it THEN too big a stretch to think that maybe "his panic" looks subliminally similar to "Hispanic"...and maybe THIS is the cause of much irrational fear? (after all, they're SPELLED the same....right?)...

Just a thought. Certainly we'd both agree that SOMETHING irrational is driving all this anti-immigrant bias..right? It couldn't POSSIBLY be that people are really that alarmed about a few hard-working new neighbors....could it?
I would say put the blame where the blames started, with employers and our government. It is crazy to blame the ones that come here to work.
If there were no jobs they would not come.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:16 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
[quote=sassyone;4523333]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

I would say put the blame where the blames started, with employers and our government. It is crazy to blame the ones that come here to work.
If there were no jobs they would not come.
True. And if we all rode bikes, there'd be no car thieves. But some of us drive cars, anyway....and when a car gets stolen, we may blame the owner, for leaving the keys in the ignition....but MOST of us (including the police) would also blame the guy who does the stealing....and that's not 'crazy'.

I don't know anyone who doesn't blame the Government for this crisis, as well as employers. However, most of us don't share your feeling that it's 'crazy' to blame the illegals, as well. They have a part in this too. You're not suggesting that they 'can't help themselves'...are you?

Old 07-19-2008, 07:04 PM

[quote=macmeal;4523465]
Quote:

True. And if we all rode bikes, there'd be no car thieves. But some of us drive cars, anyway....and when a car gets stolen, we may blame the owner, for leaving the keys in the ignition....but MOST of us (including the police) would also blame the guy who does the stealing....and that's not 'crazy'.

I don't know anyone who doesn't blame the Government for this crisis, as well as employers. However, most of us don't share your feeling that it's 'crazy' to blame the illegals, as well. They have a part in this too. You're not suggesting that they 'can't help themselves'...are you?
If there were NO jobs, they would not make a decision to risk their lives to come over here in the first place. Is it possible for the employer to know ahead of time who is legal and who is illegal? If you were an employer would you know by looking at their documents if in fact they were illegal?
I do not blame the Illegals for trying to make hopefully a better life for themselves and their families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration