U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 10:36 PM

354 posts, read 761,789 times

Advertisements

Little My, in which third-world country were your "American" Levi's manufactured? My sources point to China, but it could be any number of oversees factories that Levi Strauss & Co. opened after eliminating production in the United States. Imagine that-- you indirectly benefit from unskilled, non-English speaking, non-white, underpaid laborers under the guise of American-made! But, I guess as long as its NIMBY (in this case, your backyard), it's alright?

I have a feeling that your staunch patriotism has clouded certain aspects of your vision, if you catch my drift .

http://www.alternet.org/story/13095/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 11:57 PM

919 posts, read 1,667,798 times
Default levis in america

In the NW there is a company, K&l manuf that makes Levis, jackets and jeans. I beleive they have three plants. and they work americans. what a concept. they do struggle against other countries, since there paying a good wage. I do try to buy as much made in america as I can.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:40 AM

2,798 posts, read 9,704,464 times
Default Great post

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
I keep seeing the immigration threads and frankly I find them to be completely one-sided, and almost always ignorant.

Do you wear Levi's?
Tommy Hilfiger?
etc.

Let's face it, "globalization" is nothing more than big corp dancing around the US minimum wage law. We send work orders over to Mexico (among MANY other places), and we get labor for a fraction of what it would cost here in the US. Follow me on this one.

So now, we have the country of Mexico. They have been manufacturing for us for YEARS, and are even starting to become a white collar "offshore" destination. Anyway, here they are stitching one pair of Levi's after another, all day long, day in day out. At the end of the week, they can barely afford to feed their family much less buy a pair of what they are assembling.

Wouldnt YOU say "**********" and jump the fence? I mean, as long as we're going to be taking advantage of other countries like Mexico to keep our costs down and drive our economy, why should we get upset when they want a piece of the pie THEY HELPED BAKE???? Illegal, lol. What should be illegal is a US based company paying poverty level wages overseas and taking jobs away from the US in the process. Sure, we'd have to spend $300 on a pair of Nike's, but we buy too much crap as it is. Spending more and buying less may not be a bad thing.

-TT
Great post, but I'm afraid you probably lost Little My at the clause "Follow me on this one." That's when Little My's head exploded in a blast of red, white and blue fireworks show.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-23-2007 at 12:48 AM..

Old 01-23-2007, 12:47 AM

2,798 posts, read 9,704,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Now I know who you sound like, "it's a cookbook, it's a cookbook!!!"

I love that episode. Thanks for bringing humor to my day.
THAT's why I keep coming back to read Little My's blast of mostly incomprehensible ramblings and free associations to concepts that have no basis in reality. The responses are absolutely ROFL funny!

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-23-2007 at 12:56 AM..

Old 01-23-2007, 03:45 AM

634 posts, read 2,555,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little My View Post
You've read somewhere some time ago about illegal aliens intentionally having babies in the US to get the citizenship for the whole family.
You heard of foreigners with visitor's visas having babies here in America to get in and out anytime smoothly for the entire family. And if they wanted to even stay, they would do that too.

They are both utterly disgusting just the same, legal or not.

They don't really care to be Americans. They never care about us. They just want to fake us. They are just taking our advantage. They are using us!
Is it just disgusting or what. If I hate them, it's not my fault.

Just because you were born here doesn't automatically make you like who we really are. Your body's here but your heart will never be, and you know it.

Change the stupid law.
99.99999999% of all recent immigrants came to the U.S. for economic reasons, rather than virtue as was the case with most European immigrants in the past.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:38 AM

1,275 posts, read 2,123,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
THAT's why I keep coming back to read Little My's blast of mostly incomprehensible ramblings and free associations to concepts that have no basis in reality. The responses are absolutely ROFL funny!
Exactly, that’s why I enjoy reading them and decide not to actualy engage in any form of a rational discussion. It’s like trying to explain nonlinear equations to a four year old. Each post littlemy makes reminds me of the line in billy madison from the competition judge:

“What you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I’ve ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.”

Last edited by madicarus2000; 01-23-2007 at 10:39 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-23-2007, 12:00 PM

1,313 posts, read 5,655,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little My View Post
Change the stupid law.
That "stupid law" is the 14th Amendment to the Constitution. It probably is worth revising, but it's not eay to accomplish.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:34 PM

5,019 posts, read 12,468,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Exactly, thatís why I enjoy reading them and decide not to actualy engage in any form of a rational discussion. Itís like trying to explain nonlinear equations to a four year old. Each post littlemy makes reminds me of the line in billy madison from the competition judge:

ďWhat youíve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things Iíve ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.Ē
Had to give you both rep points. I'm tearing up with laughter here....

Bummer that Little My got banned. Think we can ask the mods for a reprieve?

I miss him/her!!!

Old 01-23-2007, 01:46 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,490,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve97415 View Post
That "stupid law" is the 14th Amendment to the Constitution. It probably is worth revising, but it's not eay to accomplish.

If you read the whole thing you will know what it was written for and there is no reason to revisit it...Just follow it ! Liberals want to take one part of it and make it say what they want to hear...

Old 01-23-2007, 01:47 PM

1,298 posts, read 2,365,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
and

Had to give you both rep points. I'm tearing up with laughter here....

Bummer that Little My got banned. Think we can ask the mods for a reprieve?

I miss him/her!!!
I think the mods should be more forgiving, lol.

Sometimes its like watching a bird fly into a window, or a dog chase his tale until he vomits, lol.

It's sort of cruel, but always funny.

-TT
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration