U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-18-2008, 12:19 PM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky Cynick View Post
Good on ya JDubs. It will continue too and don't you just love how the pro-illegal crowd is squirming as they are. We can even see it in this forum.

That's because they know that the clock is ticking and the expiration date for illegal aliens getting away with lawlessness in America is looming . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-18-2008, 03:23 PM
 
608 posts, read 881,125 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
So so true, Lakewooder

However, my point was IF he had a command of English he would have understood the other drivers trying to alert him.
What? With Hurricane Katrina still fresh an everyone's mind, there was panic, pandemonium and traffic we had never experienced before. All were on edge, anxious, tired and very annoyed beyond belief. If you looked at another driver wrong they just cussed you out thinking you were trying to get in their lane... yet traffic was not moving. I don't blame the driver for not paying attention to other drivers. If you weren't there you could never relate.

Now the driver didn't own the bus a company who hired him did. But we also wont talk about Governor Perry who's office waived violations in order to place buses on the road to evacuate people who were not able to flee.

Granted the guy was driving on an expired Mexican license but his alleged illegality really didn't have anything to do with the events leading up to the fire. The company who owned the bus, with incorrect license plates and questionable registration should be the focus of your anger. Right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2008, 05:03 PM
 
3,368 posts, read 10,275,065 times
Reputation: 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
If you noticed, the guy who was given the ticket was a Legal resident.
Who was granted a LEGAL commercial driver's license from one of the United States. He had to pass a written exam before he was issued his license, correct?

I don't have a huge problem with a State creating a higher standard for commercial truck drivers (that they at least "be able to converse with an officer an English"), but it's troublesome that people are expressing anger at this PARTICULAR truck driver who a) was a legal resident and b) passed both a driving test and a written exam in English to get his license.

If you can't speak English then get the hell out of the country?!? What about people that are in the PROCESS of learning English?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2008, 05:08 PM
 
300 posts, read 481,825 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Who was granted a LEGAL commercial driver's license from one of the United States. He had to pass a written exam before he was issued his license, correct?

I don't have a huge problem with a State creating a higher standard for commercial truck drivers (that they at least "be able to converse with an officer an English"), but it's troublesome that people are expressing anger at this PARTICULAR truck driver who a) was a legal resident and b) passed both a driving test and a written exam in English to get his license.

If you can't speak English then get the hell out of the country?!? What about people that are in the PROCESS of learning English?
Doesn't matter if they are learning English is they are illegal. But on the other hand, if they are legal and learning then they should be given some slack of course.

If the guy took the test in English then he had to have cheated since he spoke no English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2008, 08:40 PM
 
307 posts, read 458,237 times
Reputation: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky Cynick View Post
If the guy took the test in English then he had to have cheated since he spoke no English.
From the article

"Most states let truckers and bus drivers take at least part of their license tests in languages other than English. But the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has proposed rules requiring anyone applying for a commercial drivers license to speak English during their road test and vehicle inspection. The agency wants to change its rules to eliminate the use of interpreters, and congressional approval isn't required."

Yep thats what I want on the road. Someone with an 80,000 pound big rig hauling who knows what at 70 MPH who can't read the sign that says "I-5 freeway closed use alternate route. Tune into 1620 for more info."

Random
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-18-2008, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Southern Arizona
9,308 posts, read 25,663,111 times
Reputation: 10566
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Granted the guy was driving on an expired Mexican license but his alleged illegality really didn't have anything to do with the events leading up to the fire. The company who owned the bus, with incorrect license plates and questionable registration should be the focus of your anger. Right?
. . . and completely excuse the ILLEGAL DRIVER with an expired license?

You've gotta be kidding . . . TWO WRONGS DO NOT MAKE A RIGHT. There's plenty of blame for both parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 01:16 AM
 
608 posts, read 881,125 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
From the article

"Most states let truckers and bus drivers take at least part of their license tests in languages other than English. But the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration has proposed rules requiring anyone applying for a commercial drivers license to speak English during their road test and vehicle inspection. The agency wants to change its rules to eliminate the use of interpreters, and congressional approval isn't required."

Yep thats what I want on the road. Someone with an 80,000 pound big rig hauling who knows what at 70 MPH who can't read the sign that says "I-5 freeway closed use alternate route. Tune into 1620 for more info."

Random
But the US doesn't have an official language overall. Only certain states have declared official language.

Constitutional Topic: Official Language - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
Quote:
Many people are surprised to learn that the United States has no official language. As one of the major centers of commerce and trade, and a major English-speaking country, many assume that English is the country's official language. But despite efforts over the years, the United States has no official language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 01:18 AM
 
608 posts, read 881,125 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
. . . and completely excuse the ILLEGAL DRIVER with an expired license?

You've gotta be kidding . . . TWO WRONGS DO NOT MAKE A RIGHT. There's plenty of blame for both parties.
Exactly my point however you forgot a third party... the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 02:12 AM
 
Location: Bountiful, Utah
219 posts, read 378,522 times
Reputation: 71
I have not heard of anyone getting a ticket for this before. It is VERY important that truckers be able to speak English, my dad is an OTR truck driver and he comes in contact with many who do not speak English AT ALL. I am glad to see they are finally enforcing some of the laws on the books. And I agree with you Quirky Cynick, the are in our country not vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 10:59 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,711,508 times
Reputation: 22158
Legal immigrants should be required to already speak Engish, I guess they dropped that requirement somewhere along the line. Tourists of course are a different matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top