U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2008, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,879 posts, read 25,564,528 times
Reputation: 5396

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
B.S, what statistics do they have to lead them to believe it's because of the crackdown? Without any concrete study, this could be attributed to anything by anyone with an agenda.

Btw, can you find a better source than world net daily?
You do raise a good question about backing up claims with statistics.

The link below is from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It shows that Oklahoma's unemployment rate is down since November of last year, but it has fluctuated somewhat. Overall, it is still down though. And, the (p) for June is a preliminary estimate.

http://data.bls.gov/PDQ/servlet/Surv...=%2522EaG%2522
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2008, 08:12 AM
 
608 posts, read 648,971 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
What the hell are people talking about, in saying anti-immigrant legislation. It's not possible unless you start yanking peoples green cards or rescinding citizenship from them. Unbelievable.... If we decide to reduce legal immigration, is it anti-immigrant, because we would still be taking in immigrants. So exactly what number of legal immigrants should be allowed in for us not to be labled "racist" or "anti-immigrant"? 200,000 , 500,000 , 1 million, 2 million, 20 million. This whole arguement is arbitrary in the fullest......
In this forum I am really beginning to question if it is anti-immigrant or anti-illegal-immigrants. The lines are often crossed and even blurred. But then again maybe the forum title is misleading as well. Immigration seems to be all inclusive legal and illegal. But it doesn't matter I see the bandwagon filling up already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,181 posts, read 10,351,286 times
Reputation: 2984
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
In this forum I am really beginning to question if it is anti-immigrant or anti-illegal-immigrants. The lines are often crossed and even blurred. But then again maybe the forum title is misleading as well. Immigration seems to be all inclusive legal and illegal. But it doesn't matter I see the bandwagon filling up already.
I personally do not know of anyone who is anti-immigrant. You can thank organizations such as La Raza for obfuscating this issue by refusing to make a distinction between legal and illegal immigration.
Quote:
In her closing speech, Ms. Murguia said they consider campaigning against illegal immigration the same as campaigning against immigrants and Hispanics in general.
Washington Times - Hispanic leaders eager to 'referee debate'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 08:30 AM
 
300 posts, read 356,407 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
B.S, what statistics do they have to lead them to believe it's because of the crackdown? Without any concrete study, this could be attributed to anything by anyone with an agenda.

Btw, can you find a better source than world net daily?
And one is a fool if they believe everything that the government posts or says, especially since they have changed, over and over again, how they tally up the unemployment rates in the country. Go ahead and skoff at the source. Just because it does not go along with your pro-illegal open borders agenda is the only reason you don't approve. What a joke the op was in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 08:31 AM
 
300 posts, read 356,407 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
You do raise a good question about backing up claims with statistics.

The link below is from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. It shows that Oklahoma's unemployment rate is down since November of last year, but it has fluctuated somewhat. Overall, it is still down though. And, the (p) for June is a preliminary estimate.

Bureau of Labor Statistics Data
Oh but, it doesn't follow his agenda of open borders and loving illegals and all. Thank you for your post and link though. Appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 08:59 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 4,860,879 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky Cynick View Post
And one is a fool if they believe everything that the government posts or says, especially since they have changed, over and over again, how they tally up the unemployment rates in the country. Go ahead and skoff at the source. Just because it does not go along with your pro-illegal open borders agenda is the only reason you don't approve. What a joke the op was in the first place.
*bangs head against wall*

First of all, you provide a gov't source to back up your claim that unemployment is down because of the illegal immigrants leaving. I just posted that SAME source to show you the unemployment level is almost back to the same level before they left and you claim i'm a fool for believing what the gov't says?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 03:40 PM
 
300 posts, read 356,407 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
*bangs head against wall*

First of all, you provide a gov't source to back up your claim that unemployment is down because of the illegal immigrants leaving. I just posted that SAME source to show you the unemployment level is almost back to the same level before they left and you claim i'm a fool for believing what the gov't says?
I don't believe them but it is all that one can get on a minute's notice. BTW, you were already proven to be wrong in that OK has been fluncuating with their unemployment and it is down and not up like you are saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 06:03 PM
 
4,828 posts, read 4,860,879 times
Reputation: 619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky Cynick View Post
I don't believe them but it is all that one can get on a minute's notice. BTW, you were already proven to be wrong in that OK has been fluncuating with their unemployment and it is down and not up like you are saying.
What? Before the law went into effect, the unemployment was at 4% and you claimed it went down to 3.1 because of the illegals leaving right? Now it's back up to 3.9 percent again... so what do you attribute that to now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
8,575 posts, read 2,418,051 times
Reputation: 835
another good thing about cracking down on illegal immigrants is that you will see a huge reduction in crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Pinal County, Arizona
25,100 posts, read 24,643,518 times
Reputation: 4813
There are no "anti immigrant" initiatives out there.

There are "illegal immigration" initiatives out there - not the same thing though -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:28 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top