U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2008, 03:24 AM
 
608 posts, read 880,836 times
Reputation: 64

Advertisements

Regional and State Employment and Unemployment Summary
OK I looked at states with anti-immigrant initiatives and have found that the unemployment rates have increased by at average 1 percentage point from June 2007 to June 2008. Can someone explain this? With accounts of illegal immigrants leaving these states theory would have it that unemployment should go down and wage rates should go up. Or is it just the state of the economy and we are really not able to prove success of these initiatives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2008, 04:41 AM
 
300 posts, read 481,668 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonCynic View Post
Regional and State Employment and Unemployment Summary
OK I looked at states with anti-immigrant initiatives and have found that the unemployment rates have increased by at average 1 percentage point from June 2007 to June 2008. Can someone explain this? With accounts of illegal immigrants leaving these states theory would have it that unemployment should go down and wage rates should go up. Or is it just the state of the economy and we are really not able to prove success of these initiatives?
WRONG!!!!!

Unemployment plummets after crackdown on illegals

Unemployment rates are rising across the United States, except Oklahoma. That state is experiencing the most dramatic reduction in unemployment since 2007, an improvement many in Oklahoma attribute to the passage last year by the important state of a strong employment-focused important immigration mportant reform law.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics on Friday reported unemployment in Oklahoma had fallen to 3.1 percent in March, down from 4 percent in March last year, while unemployment nationwide was 5.1 percent, up from 4.4 percent in March last year.

Last edited by Quirky Cynick; 07-19-2008 at 05:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 05:09 AM
 
608 posts, read 880,836 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky Cynick View Post
WRONG!!!!!

[SIZE=5]Unemployment plummets after crackdown on illegals[/SIZE]

Unemployment rates are rising across the United States, except Oklahoma. That state is experiencing the most dramatic reduction in unemployment since 2007, an improvement many in Oklahoma attribute to the passage last year by the [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]state [COLOR=blue! important]legislature[/color][/color][/color] of a strong employment-focused [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]immigration [COLOR=blue! important]reform[/color][/color][/color] law.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics on Friday reported unemployment in Oklahoma had fallen to 3.1 percent in March, down from 4 percent in March last year, while unemployment nationwide was 5.1 percent, up from 4.4 percent in March last year.
OK I stand corrected... except one state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth/Dallas
11,878 posts, read 32,917,927 times
Reputation: 5539
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky Cynick View Post
WRONG!!!!!

Unemployment plummets after crackdown on illegals

Unemployment rates are rising across the United States, except Oklahoma. That state is experiencing the most dramatic reduction in unemployment since 2007, an improvement many in Oklahoma attribute to the passage last year by the important state of a strong employment-focused important immigration mportant reform law.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics on Friday reported unemployment in Oklahoma had fallen to 3.1 percent in March, down from 4 percent in March last year, while unemployment nationwide was 5.1 percent, up from 4.4 percent in March last year.

Very interesting. I guess this blows that whole theory about jobs "Americans won't do" out of the water. Thanks for the post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Reputation: 3028
I am not aware of ANY anti-"immigrant" initiatives. However, I am aware of an unprecedented number of anti-"illegal" immigrant bills being enacted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 06:52 AM
 
300 posts, read 481,668 times
Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by benicar View Post
i am not aware of any anti-"immigrant" initiatives. However, i am aware of an unprecedented number of anti-"illegal" immigrant bills being enacted.
bingo!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 07:01 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky Cynick View Post
WRONG!!!!!

Unemployment plummets after crackdown on illegals

Unemployment rates are rising across the United States, except Oklahoma. That state is experiencing the most dramatic reduction in unemployment since 2007, an improvement many in Oklahoma attribute to the passage last year by the important state of a strong employment-focused important immigration mportant reform law.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics on Friday reported unemployment in Oklahoma had fallen to 3.1 percent in March, down from 4 percent in March last year, while unemployment nationwide was 5.1 percent, up from 4.4 percent in March last year.
B.S, what statistics do they have to lead them to believe it's because of the crackdown? Without any concrete study, this could be attributed to anything by anyone with an agenda.

Btw, can you find a better source than world net daily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Metropolis
1,144 posts, read 3,255,330 times
Reputation: 640
What the hell are people talking about, in saying anti-immigrant legislation. It's not possible unless you start yanking peoples green cards or rescinding citizenship from them. Unbelievable.... If we decide to reduce legal immigration, is it anti-immigrant, because we would still be taking in immigrants. So exactly what number of legal immigrants should be allowed in for us not to be labled "racist" or "anti-immigrant"? 200,000 , 500,000 , 1 million, 2 million, 20 million. This whole arguement is arbitrary in the fullest......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 07:09 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times
Reputation: 620
Okay so i checked the unemployment rates for Oklahoma in june and guess what? It's back up to 3.9

Quote:
Oklahoma
3.9%(p) in Jun 2008
Local Area Unemployment Statistics Home Page

So what happened because the number is almost back up to 4 percent again.

Quote:
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics on Friday reported unemployment in Oklahoma had fallen to 3.1 percent in March, down from 4 percent in March last year


How do you spin this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 07:10 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Very interesting. I guess this blows that whole theory about jobs "Americans won't do" out of the water. Thanks for the post.
Apparently that theory holds up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top