U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-19-2008, 08:40 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Reputation: 620

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think the article left out an awful lot. We don't know what the victim did, the article even implied he did something to antagonize the group. How smart is it to be in some foreign country and start mouthing off or threatening some group of locals? That wouldn't be smart no matter what your country of origin is. If an American tourist in Juarez started acting up with a group of local teens, would the outcome be a lot better?
Even if he did, is that enough to justify him getting beaten to death?

Btw, where in the article does it imply that he did something to antagonize the group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-19-2008, 08:43 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Police Chief Matthew Nestor acknowledged there have been problems as the community the birthplace of big band musicians Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey and home of Mrs. T's Pierogies has tried to adjust to an influx of Hispanics, who now comprise as much as 10 percent of the population.
Teenagers have sprayed racially tinged graffiti and yelled racial slurs at the newcomers, he said
It's all about the hatred of hispanics now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 08:44 AM
 
105 posts, read 199,533 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You're right. How reasonable it it to expect Americans watch millions of illegals brought in to lower wages to levels that no one can live in, watch their taxes be raised to provide services to the millions of illegals who gladly accept low paying jobs because they'll take food stamps, WIC, Medicaid and free housing to make up the difference.

We've got American youths who cannot find employment because illegals are brought in to work cheap. Large numbers of unemployed youths with nothing to fill their time is a bad situation, no matter what the race or ethnicity of the youths. The worst thing for older teens is to have no hope of jobs, nothing to do to fill their days. They are being told if they can't speak fluent Mexican Spanish, don't bother applying for a job.

We're having the Mexican flag shoved in our faces, being told that our land belongs to Mexico. It's a stress that many aren't going to put up with for long. Many of us will blog and say why uncontrolled and illegal immigration is so bad for this country but there are those who won't say it that way. Most of us have not lost our jobs to illegals, we're not in jobs yet that require Mexican Spanish fluency, we aren't desperate or bored or hopeless. Obviously we don't and won't participate in violence but we all know full well there are those who will.

And what do you think about those who will? ... I'm against illegal immigration also, but if you want to stop it, how about: 1) stopping the automatic birthright citizenship for those who come over just so they can have their child be a U.S. citizen; 2) stopping the government benefits to illegals; 3) punishing severely companies/businesses that hire illegals; and 4) protecting our border. ... Killing another human being who has done nothing to put your life in any kind of jeopardy is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 08:45 AM
 
608 posts, read 880,943 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Who's defensive? You need to go back and re-read this thread, apparently you missed my post.
I saw your post I am missing your point and your true intent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 08:46 AM
 
4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny1031 View Post
And what do you think about those who will? ... I'm against illegal immigration also, but if you want to stop it, how about: 1) stopping the automatic birthright citizenship for those who come over just so they can have their child be a U.S. citizen; 2) stopping the government benefits to illegals; 3) punishing severely companies/businesses that hire illegals; and 4) protecting our border. ... Killing another human being who has done nothing to put your life in any kind of jeopardy is wrong.
Your side of the argument clearly need more level headed people like you. Others on here who are trying to justify the beaten reflect badly on your cause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 08:47 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Why are many Americans cancelling vacations to Mexico or day trips to Ciudad Juarez? Because they fear violence and becoming victims. Why are Mexicans continuing to pour over the border, legally and otherwise? Because they don't fear violence from Americans.

Out of 30 to 40 million illegals, one has become a victim of possibly Americans although the article does not make that clear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 08:51 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny1031 View Post
And what do you think about those who will? ... I'm against illegal immigration also, but if you want to stop it, how about: 1) stopping the automatic birthright citizenship for those who come over just so they can have their child be a U.S. citizen; 2) stopping the government benefits to illegals; 3) punishing severely companies/businesses that hire illegals; and 4) protecting our border. ... Killing another human being who has done nothing to put your life in any kind of jeopardy is wrong.
Murder is a crime and a sin. Obviously I don't approve, I'm just saying that our political leaders (what a bunch of jokes they are) should (and likely do) realize what will happen when American youths are left unemployed and truckloads of illegals are brought in to work for dirt wages that no American could or should have to live on.

Didn't we already see the disasterous effects of urban inner city unemployment and lack of opportunity and hope? It's all about greed. The ONLY reason millions of illegals are being brought in is to bring wages way way down, replace the American people with a more docile desperate worker and maybe to accomplish some kind of corporate globalist dream of a big new hispanic nation filled with low paid workers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 08:55 AM
 
105 posts, read 199,533 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Why are many Americans cancelling vacations to Mexico or day trips to Ciudad Juarez? Because they fear violence and becoming victims. Why are Mexicans continuing to pour over the border, legally and otherwise? Because they don't fear violence from Americans.

Out of 30 to 40 million illegals, one has become a victim of possibly Americans although the article does not make that clear.
I would respond by saying they come over for the economic benefits instead. If you stop the economic benefits (ie. government benefits, jobs from companies/businesses), they probably won't come. The driving force for most humans is a better life for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 09:02 AM
 
608 posts, read 880,943 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny1031 View Post
I would respond by saying they come over for the economic benefits instead. If you stop the economic benefits (ie. government benefits, jobs from companies/businesses), they probably won't come. The driving force for most humans is a better life for themselves.
Exactly why I added a thread about removing root causes to enable illegal immigration and ensure fair wages for all workers legal and non-legal. When we allow companies to play on peoples fears, we also allow them to treat workers inconsistently thereby driving down wages and no enforcing equally safe working environments. I guess people are more attracted to the dark side of the subject rather than look at the bigger picture.

http://www.nelp.org/docUploads/FromAnti-ImmigranttoPro-workerFinal.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by HoustonCynic; 07-19-2008 at 09:04 AM.. Reason: fixing link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2008, 09:03 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by manny1031 View Post
I would respond by saying they come over for the economic benefits instead. If you stop the economic benefits (ie. government benefits, jobs from companies/businesses), they probably won't come. The driving force for most humans is a better life for themselves.
Yes -- many are brought in to be the dirt paid labor for the greedy class and corporations, and the reason they are brought in is precisely for that reason although there may be even more ulterior motives. They are coming because the laws are not being enforced, they can be brought over the border by the truckloads and busloads, they can steal the identies and social security numbers of Americans with no consequences in doing so, employers are allowed to bypass wage and labor laws, discriminate against American citizens in hiring. I blame the government mostly. The existing laws already in place if enforced would prevent this.

And what are the Americans supposed to do who are being denied jobs? It's not wise to have many youths anywhere, not even in the USA, out of work and out of hope.

The government has turned against it's citizens, and is not enforcing laws meant to protect the people of this country. It's a disaster waiting to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top