U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 11:24 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
The US is not the world's flophouse. Our legal immigration does need an overhaul, we should allow in only people who have something to offer the US and will not be a burden on society. I am confident the Australians would be willing to advise us on how to set up just such a system. The US has historically done very well during times of limited immigration during the 20th century so there is no innate need to have millions of uneducated, unskilled Third World denizens continually washing up on our shores.
As you stated.

It is past time to really restrict even legal immigration let alone come down really hard on illegals along with their enablers.

Frankly; we (the USA) needs to revert to the pre 1965 immigration rules-----------multiculturalists be damned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 03:03 PM

1,150 posts, read 990,803 times
<<They most likely register with Individual Tax Identification Numbers specifically created for non-citizens/foreigners who donít have SS#s but file taxes in the US.>>

Those numbers are for the sole purpose of filing taxes. They weren't meant to replace SS numbers for any other reason, so if they're being used to register for college, that's a fraudulent use of the numbers.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:56 PM

65 posts, read 65,705 times
Quote:
The US is not the world's flophouse. Our legal immigration does need an overhaul, we should allow in only people who have something to offer the US and will not be a burden on society. I am confident the Australians would be willing to advise us on how to set up just such a system. The US has historically done very well during times of limited immigration during the 20th century so there is no innate need to have millions of uneducated, unskilled Third World denizens continually washing up on our shores.
Did I mention flophouse? No. We should serve as a model and effectively use our resources to think more long term, and less in the mindset of the 19th and 20th century of Western idealism.

Of course, it seems, that you may not understand what I mean.

Limited immigration of the 20th century done well? Yeah the Great Depression was a roaring time in our nation's history.

Why do you refer to Australia? There was the "White Australia" policy? Should we also institute that?

The fact of the matter is that social reform here can, and has, changed the world.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
As you stated.

It is past time to really restrict even legal immigration let alone come down really hard on illegals along with their enablers.

Frankly; we (the USA) needs to revert to the pre 1965 immigration rules-----------multiculturalists be damned.
So we should restrict immigration and face what Japan is currently facing with an aging population? No, that's poor public policy.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Who are all these people who have achieved great things in their lives and what great things have they achieved? The Unabomber graduated from Harvard at age 20, earned a PhD and was teaching at Berkeley at age 25. Most would agree that these are great achievements, but he is still a criminal.
So illegal immigrants are sociopaths? That's a new one...

Old 09-07-2009, 09:31 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglorious View Post
Did I mention flophouse? No. We should serve as a model and effectively use our resources to think more long term, and less in the mindset of the 19th and 20th century of Western idealism.

Limited immigration of the 20th century done well? Yeah the Great Depression was a roaring time in our nation's history.

Why do you refer to Australia? There was the "White Australia" policy? Should we also institute that?

The fact of the matter is that social reform here can, and has, changed the world.
Suffice to say: we (the USA) would be better off by 'cherry picking' potential immigrants (of any ancestral race/ethnicity).............especially being that there is a long line of the above wishing to come here legally.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:32 PM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Quote:

Immigration was tightly controlled from 1924 to 1965. Unless my memory fails me, the US did very well in the late 40's to mid 60's with limited immigration.

Quote:
No, I think we should institute the 'you must bring something to the table and be able to support yourself if you are going to come here' policy.

Quote:
If the US collapses under an ever increasing burden of overwhelmingly unskilled and uneducated people we will be reforming nothing.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Immigration was tightly controlled from 1924 to 1965. Unless my memory fails me, the US did very well in the late 40's to mid 60's with limited immigration.

No, I think we should institute the 'you must bring something to the table and be able to support yourself if you are going to come here' policy.

If the US collapses under an ever increasing burden of overwhelmingly unskilled and uneducated people we will be reforming nothing.
You forgot the Great Depression. Also, you failed to mention that during the 2000s and the 1990s the stellar economy was marked by high levels of immigration.

The US won't collapse by the burden of unskilled labor. If anything it will collapse due to over consumption.

Wondering, how do you reconcile the fact that illegal immigrants do indeed rise well demographically over the generations? Is this simply a fluke? Do you think that this has any bearing to the conversation?

Old 09-07-2009, 09:52 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,076,921 times
Quote:
You forgot the Great Depression. Also, you failed to mention that during the 2000s and the 1990s the stellar economy was marked by high levels of immigration.

The US won't collapse by the burden of unskilled labor. If anything it will collapse due to over consumption.

Wondering, how do you reconcile the fact that illegal immigrants do indeed rise well demographically over the generations? Is this simply a fluke? Do you think that this has any bearing to the conversation?
Inglorious...I loved that movie. Good luck on trying to get people to get over these facts...

Old 09-07-2009, 10:26 PM

10,017 posts, read 16,692,551 times
AAhhh the great depression from 1929 to about 1939, my fathers family came over shortly after.
but seems the sentiment was around even then.Prior to the Great Depression, immigrants from other countries came to the U

The large and growing disparity of wealth between the well-to-do and the middle-income citizens made the U.S. economy unstable. Influx of immigrants, before great depression,,, great influx of immigrants in 1990-2000 another hit. We may not collapse due to unskilled labor, but do you honestly think 1. we need more of this crap and 2. That we should HAVE to put up with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration