U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2008, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
And God knows if you had a family to feed, you'd do what you had to do, right?
Yes; I would take my chances and not whine if caught by the authorities------assuming that my family was actually starving.

Malnutrition is no longer a big problem SOB-------that is more of a Sub Saharan Africa thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2008, 05:59 PM
 
4,247 posts, read 9,151,370 times
Reputation: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Yes; I would take my chances and not whine if caught by the authorities------assuming that my family was actually starving.

Malnutrition is no longer a big problem SOB-------that is more of a Sub Saharan Africa thing.
Oh, come on, ArizonaBear, do you eat when you're hungry? I do. In fact I am just eating some homemade curry as I am HUNGRY, and darn grateful I have it to eat. Plus, I am a great cook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2008, 10:43 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Now, how do I feel about this? Mixed feelings. OTOH, I did say I was fully bilingual and I've been told by a fluent person I am. OTOH, I had to have a 15 minute interview with "someone" "somewhere" on the phone who asked me 20 completely unrelated questions in Spanish. Stuff like, what do you wear when you are cold? Do you prefer black and white or color photographs? Now, everyone knows that when under pressure and without the benefit of someone sitting across from you, not to mention accents, it can be a challenge. Then I had to do a half an hour written test in Spanish.

So, this is the point we are getting to in Arizona. Thoughts?
I believe it is discrimination. Discrimination against people of non-hispanic ethnicities especially when the questions had nothing to do with the job requirements. It's absurd that after Equal Opportunity laws that banned discrimination on the basis of national origin that this kind of thing is being done and is allowed to be done.

This kind of thing allows these businesses to hire Mexican nationals over other immigrants such as Haitians or Polish, and of course over American citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2008, 03:23 PM
 
4,247 posts, read 9,151,370 times
Reputation: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I believe it is discrimination. Discrimination against people of non-hispanic ethnicities especially when the questions had nothing to do with the job requirements. It's absurd that after Equal Opportunity laws that banned discrimination on the basis of national origin that this kind of thing is being done and is allowed to be done.

This kind of thing allows these businesses to hire Mexican nationals over other immigrants such as Haitians or Polish, and of course over American citizens.
Well,they are closer, and they know how to speak English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2008, 05:46 PM
 
4,247 posts, read 9,151,370 times
Reputation: 1452
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I believe it is discrimination. Discrimination against people of non-hispanic ethnicities especially when the questions had nothing to do with the job requirements. It's absurd that after Equal Opportunity laws that banned discrimination on the basis of national origin that this kind of thing is being done and is allowed to be done.

This kind of thing allows these businesses to hire Mexican nationals over other immigrants such as Haitians or Polish, and of course over American citizens.
The reality is that we live with Spanish speakers. No way around it. One must adapt. Of course I could have an issue with the fact my job offer was based on being bilingual, but I did say I am biligual, which is the truth. Now, is my vocabulary 110% in English? I would like to think so, but I know I lack. Likewise with Spanish, although I lack more. By and by, I do pretty darn well.

But you really do have a point about questions being asked that have nothing to do with the job. One could make a case for that and win. I wonder why it hasn't been done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2008, 06:45 PM
 
4,135 posts, read 9,115,274 times
Reputation: 2677
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You may be better off living elsewhere then just for your peace of mind.

BTW: I used to be much more 'liberal' till those illegal immigrants' 'rights' protests in May 2006-------I took grave offence at those insolent people who clearly did not have the guts to fight for their rights in Mexico, etc.

God knows if I were illegal: I would make damn sure to 'fly under the radar'.
EXCELLENT POST! (Tried to give you a +, only it wouldn't work)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2008, 06:47 PM
 
4,135 posts, read 9,115,274 times
Reputation: 2677
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I believe it is discrimination. Discrimination against people of non-hispanic ethnicities especially when the questions had nothing to do with the job requirements. It's absurd that after Equal Opportunity laws that banned discrimination on the basis of national origin that this kind of thing is being done and is allowed to be done.

This kind of thing allows these businesses to hire Mexican nationals over other immigrants such as Haitians or Polish, and of course over American citizens.
I fully agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2008, 09:41 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,690,207 times
Reputation: 22158
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
The reality is that we live with Spanish speakers. No way around it. One must adapt. Of course I could have an issue with the fact my job offer was based on being bilingual, but I did say I am biligual, which is the truth. Now, is my vocabulary 110% in English? I would like to think so, but I know I lack. Likewise with Spanish, although I lack more. By and by, I do pretty darn well.

But you really do have a point about questions being asked that have nothing to do with the job. One could make a case for that and win. I wonder why it hasn't been done.

But that's the problem. Sure they are Spanish speakers and they intend to never learn the language of this country and are even less motivated with these practices of catering to them.

All other immigrants are able to learn English -- and we're getting immigrants from hundreds of language backgrounds. Why the special treatment of just the one group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top