U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 05:31 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quirky Cynick View Post
ALL ILLEGALS, no matter where they are from, need to be deported.
Of course, if they would simply enforce our laws, this would be a non-issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 05:32 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,989,978 times
First of all I am not insulting anyone personally but I am saying that forceful opinions with no absolute proof need to be severely examined because a lot of this stuff sounds somewhat racist among other things.

Second as others have stated here the problem of illegal Irish is minimal and about as important on the list of immigration problems as illegal Americans in Germany or Norway. If you feel that you must say something about European illegals in the US then lets look at the real problems. Poles, Rumanian's, Russians, Serbs and Croats all present a larger social problem than do the Irish. If it's crime you are after stopping than it is these people, especially the Russians and the Ukrainians. Irish gangs are like Italian gangs..they are Americans of Irish or Italian extraction. The problem of criminal aspect of the native who are Italians or Irish is pretty much ancient history.

If it is true that legal or illegal immigrants go where the money is then why of all people would the Irish still constitute a major immigration problem in the US or Canada since they have a standard of living that is as good as those countries? Doesn't make much sense. However it does make sense in the case of Eastern Europeans, peoples of the ME and Southern Asia.

If we get paranoid about the situation in general then we will not solve the problem. The immigration service has always been short handed and the reorganization into "Homeland Security" has not cured that malady in the least. We have to go after the main part of the problem first. Asian, Mexican, Central American and Eastern European illegal immigration first then we can worry about the quite well off Irish (BTW I haven't a drop of Irish blood) or Liechtensteiner or Maltese or whatever.

The Irish, as I mentioned before, do not pose a major or even a minor threat to the US at this time. They are in small numbers of a few people who overstay their visas much less than the groups I have mentioned. We no longer have the country full of IRA members being hidden out by the locals (arrests are made, rarely, of the few wanted IRA terrorists) but there are plenty of others who would do us damage and have done so. When was the last time the IRA attacked Americans, OK OK I am being factitious but just to make the point.

As I said I have not insulted anyone unless you think pointing out a silly uniformed statement and then a weak excuse for making is an insult..and that since when? Oversensitive much? As far as insults go I am as expert as anyone but i have not exercised that talent here.

Old 07-21-2008, 05:38 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,275,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Of course, if they would simply enforce our laws, this would be a non-issue.
Often laws are not enforced because:

a) it would be more costly to enforce them than to allow them to be broken
b) they are outmoded and instead of waiting years for Congress to change them, law enforcement officials decide to do little to nothing.

I know people across the spectrum of socioeconomic class and color and even most of the people I know who are strongly against illegal immigration cannot tell me why it personally affects them in an adverse way. I surely can say that it doesn't adversely affect me. This may smack of selfishness, but I would be lying if I were to say that how something affects me isn't at least part of my position. In combination with this sentiment, I just don't think that the harmful effects of illegal immigration are greater than the monetary and social cost that this nation would absorb if our current immigration laws actually were enforced. (I'll duck the flying tomatoes now)

Old 07-21-2008, 08:09 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,989,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Often laws are not enforced because:

a) it would be more costly to enforce them than to allow them to be broken
b) they are outmoded and instead of waiting years for Congress to change them, law enforcement officials decide to do little to nothing.

I know people across the spectrum of socioeconomic class and color and even most of the people I know who are strongly against illegal immigration cannot tell me why it personally affects them in an adverse way. I surely can say that it doesn't adversely affect me. This may smack of selfishness, but I would be lying if I were to say that how something affects me isn't at least part of my position. In combination with this sentiment, I just don't think that the harmful effects of illegal immigration are greater than the monetary and social cost that this nation would absorb if our current immigration laws actually were enforced. (I'll duck the flying tomatoes now)
That's an excellent post and goes to the heart of the matter. More often than not these laws are poorly enforced or not enforced at all because a certain very elitist section of our population does not really want them enforced and will circumvent the law. Here is something that happened to me in 1991, long before the average population was paying any attention to the illegal problem.

I was working the Cuban Mariel parole hearings at Oxford Federal Correction Center in Oxford Wisconsin with two of the most dedicated USPB agents I have ever known. We were having an after dinner drink in the bar when one of our guys struck up a conversation. It turns out these two men were working for a mega-farm that produced soy beans. They were using illegal help which they transported up to Wisconsin from the Southwest. They told us in no uncertain terms that they were using illegal workers and no matter what we thought they didn't give a tinker's damn and they were going to keep right on using illegal workers in spite of the law. Well, it was all I could do to keep one of the Border patrol agents from jumping over the bar and strangling this arrogant b*****ds and that is the God's honest truth. If the people who hire them have this attitude the situation is difficult, painful and negative for those who are not at the top of the food chain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or