Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 07:50 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,407,293 times

Advertisements

The 18-year-old De La Cruz graduated barely in the top 20% of her San Pedro High class and is competing against students with much higher GPAs and test scores. She probably doesn't have enough money to finish her first year of classes.

She has almost no safety net: She doesn't know her father, and her mother, who lives across the street, didn't get up to wish her good luck. She met a few people during orientation but doesn't have anyone she would consider a friend.

UCLA officials acknowledge that some freshmen are admitted for reasons other than their grades and test scores, that some students come from dramatically different backgrounds than many of their peers but show academic promise.They say there are programs on campus to help these students But De La Cruz isn't aware of them.

"To have a chance to thrive here, students like that need an advocate," said Charles Alexander, UCLA's associate vice provost for student diversity.

For an illegal immigrant, getting into UCLA was the easy part - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-freshman2-2009feb02,0,7890948.story - broken link)

Gee, I guess they can't find a single poverty stricken American child that has big enough hardships to overcome in order to be allowed to attend an American University.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 06:41 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
The 18-year-old De La Cruz graduated barely in the top 20% of her San Pedro High class and is competing against students with much higher GPAs and test scores. She probably doesn't have enough money to finish her first year of classes.

She has almost no safety net: She doesn't know her father, and her mother, who lives across the street, didn't get up to wish her good luck. She met a few people during orientation but doesn't have anyone she would consider a friend.

UCLA officials acknowledge that some freshmen are admitted for reasons other than their grades and test scores, that some students come from dramatically different backgrounds than many of their peers but show academic promise.They say there are programs on campus to help these students But De La Cruz isn't aware of them.

"To have a chance to thrive here, students like that need an advocate," said Charles Alexander, UCLA's associate vice provost for student diversity.

For an illegal immigrant, getting into UCLA was the easy part - Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/front/la-me-freshman2-2009feb02,0,7890948.story - broken link)

Gee, I guess they can't find a single poverty stricken American child that has big enough hardships to overcome in order to be allowed to attend an American University.
De La Cruz needs to be deported post haste----------along with her 'mother'. Needless to say: we do not need that sort of trash here in the USA.

Before anybody here dares call me a racist or similar: many folks here (including myself) have no problem using the phrase PW Trash------and, I am White.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:42 AM

46 posts, read 99,904 times
How nice of them to get the in-state tuition break unlike the other Americans who live outside of CA. Pathetic.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:26 AM

217 posts, read 513,131 times
Most illegals at UCLA are the janitors and the cooks.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:50 PM

2,075 posts, read 2,137,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
De La Cruz needs to be deported post haste----------along with her 'mother'. Needless to say: we do not need that sort of trash here in the USA.

Before anybody here dares call me a racist or similar: many folks here (including myself) have no problem using the phrase PW Trash------and, I am White.
Radical does not equal racist. Anyone calling you "racist" would be uninformed and non objective. College should be for Americans not illegals.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:37 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,558,654 times
Actually, the concept of granting in-state tuition or ANY preferential treatment to illegal aliens is absurd. It’s the old stray cat syndrome. How can we ever expect to rid ourselves of illegals if we continue to feed them goodies?

Old 02-03-2009, 05:39 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,126,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Actually, the concept of granting in-state tuition or ANY preferential treatment to illegal aliens is absurd. It’s the old stray cat syndrome. How can we ever expect to rid ourselves of illegals if we continue to feed them goodies?
I prefer stray cats myself

Never mind the little monsters can be a PITA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration