U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:55 PM

1,417 posts, read 852,101 times

Advertisements

Where do Native Americans fall under the race category?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 02:07 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Where do Native Americans fall under the race category?
Strictly speaking in the genetic sense (full blood) Native American Indians are actually 'Asian'---------although, some of the tribes especially the Cherokee I am not sure.

Old 07-25-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Strictly speaking in the genetic sense (full blood) Native American Indians are actually 'Asian'---------although, some of the tribes especially the Cherokee I am not sure.

I've heard native americans are actually indigenous russians mixed with japanese.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:15 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,275,065 times
Native Americans pertain to the Mongoloid (Asiatic) race. Technically speaking, a typical mestizo Mexican is half Caucasoid and half Mongoloid.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Native Americans pertain to the Mongoloid (Asiatic) race. Technically speaking, a typical mestizo Mexican is half Caucasoid and half Mongoloid.
So would that make me a Caungo? Although I do have a white skin tone.

Old 07-25-2008, 04:34 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,275,065 times
I don't know your racial admixture; what all I am saying is that if you are mestizo you are Caucasoid mixed with Mongoloid. Being light-skinned doesn't really mean much besides that it's probable that you have more Caucasian than Amerindian blood in you. This is just a rule though, and there are many exceptions. I have seen very light-skinned Mexicans with very Amerindian facial features, and I have seen very dark-skinned Mexicans with very Caucasian facial features.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:47 AM

985 posts, read 3,190,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
I'm looking on WikiPedia and seeing that Hispanics are not a race, which made me wonder why.

If Hispanics intermarry with other races, they're considered part of that race and not biracial. Why is that?

Will Hispanics ever become a racial group?
Officially "Hispanics" are not a race, but it is de facto treated on the same classification level as "Asian", "White", and "Black" in the US. Thus many people consider Hispanic-Asian to be "interracial".

Old 03-11-2009, 08:32 AM

1,087 posts, read 2,341,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Officially "Hispanics" are not a race, but it is de facto treated on the same classification level as "Asian", "White", and "Black" in the US. Thus many people consider Hispanic-Asian to be "interracial".
I'm half Asian, half Caucausian. I always mark the "Other" square box when asked. Some other times, when asked "Are you Hispanic?", then I also mark that box. I guess I am multi-box.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:11 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,615,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Correct.....they are not a "race". Yet they ARE, apparently, being "profiled" as we speak, in Phoenix. I'm not sure what Sherriff Arpaio's 'secret formula' is....but apparently he can "spot 'em"....even though they're not a racial group. Not only can he SPOT 'EM, he apparently has a pretty consistent record of being able to "see" who is legal, and who isn't.

Pretty amazing, particularly when you're discussing a group who really isn't a 'race' in the classic sense....

Old 03-11-2009, 09:42 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTKing View Post
I'm half Asian, half Caucausian. I always mark the "Other" square box when asked. Some other times, when asked "Are you Hispanic?", then I also mark that box. I guess I am multi-box.
And to run with your ball further: Alberto Fujimori; the former president of Peru is of 100% Japanese lineage-------and, is considered to be a Hispanic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration