U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:23 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,214,639 times

Advertisements

I'm looking on WikiPedia and seeing that Hispanics are not a race, which made me wonder why.

If Hispanics intermarry with other races, they're considered part of that race and not biracial. Why is that?

Will Hispanics ever become a racial group?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 06:57 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wclac View Post
I'm looking on WikiPedia and seeing that Hispanics are not a race, which made me wonder why.

If Hispanics intermarry with other races, they're considered part of that race and not biracial. Why is that?

Will Hispanics ever become a racial group?
Hispanic is a political label only.

Most people that are perceived as Hispanics/Latinos here in the USA are actually partially or wholly American Indian in the genetic sense that adopted an archaic form of Spanish culture.

Legally speaking: a Nordic White blue eyed blonde from Argentina with the name of Gisela Nordstrom is just as 'Hispanic' as a dark brown skinned Mayan Indian from Guatemala named Jose Perez.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:20 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,276,533 times
I knew AZBear would be good for answering this one.

"Hispanic" should not in any way be used as a racially descriptive label in the United States. In fact, here in NYC, I haven seen interracial couples, both members of which happen to be Hispanic (one mulatto, one mestizo is the most common). If I were to date a Hispanic person who was not white, we would also be an interracial - albeit Hispanic - couple.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:36 PM

1,238 posts, read 2,180,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post

Most people that are perceived as Hispanics/Latinos here in the USA are actually partially or wholly American Indian in the genetic sense that adopted an archaic form of Spanish culture.

Legally speaking: a Nordic White blue eyed blonde from Argentina with the name of Gisela Nordstrom is just as 'Hispanic' as a dark brown skinned Mayan Indian from Guatemala named Jose Perez.
Quite a few Argentinians come into my club to workout here in Illinois. They all look like white people, so I was surprised when this one couple was speaking Spanish. One woman had brown hair, other blonde.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:40 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
Quite a few Argentinians come into my club to workout here in Illinois. They all look like white people, so I was surprised when this one couple was speaking Spanish. One woman had brown hair, other blonde.
Racially speaking; Argentina is the 'Whitest' country in the New World.....on the order of 97%.

Hell: one is more likely to find English 'people of color' in London.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:00 PM

2,568 posts, read 5,839,397 times
I have been explaining for years that Spaniards are a mixture of North Europeans and North African. You can find blond blue eyed Spaniards as well as middle Eastern looking Spaniards.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:13 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,996,951 times
Quote:

I think its more culutral than "political". Its an umbrella term.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:28 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,722,338 times
Someone once pointed out that "hispanic" as a race didn't even exist until after affirmative action and quotas. Before that time, the box for "caucasian" was generally the one checked.

It makes little sense. People whose ancestors came from countries that speak Spanish now see that as some special race. They can be 100% white or 100% black, have no Spanish ancestry at all. Someone that is 100% Lebanese for example will be given affirmative action if they came from a Latin American nation, but not if they came directly to the USA and end up being white.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:45 PM

3,368 posts, read 10,276,533 times
Latin Americans understand that they are people from the New World (just like Americans from the United States) and that they pertain to no special race by virtue of being from a Spanish-speaking country. It is largely Hispanic-AMERICANS (overwhelmingly of Mexican-American extraction) who try to equate "Hispanic" with race. Most Hispanic people know very well that they are white, black, indigenous/Asian, or a mix of one or more of the mentioned.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:04 PM

11,215 posts, read 7,608,764 times
Quote:
Racially speaking; Argentina is the 'Whitest' country in the New World.....on the order of 97%.

Hell: one is more likely to find English 'people of color' in London.
Also, if I might add, Uruguay has just about no native population left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration