U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would Making Illegal's Legal Ruin Mexican Work Ethics?
Yes, they would become lazy like the current American Citizens. 12 70.59%
No, they would continue to work cheap and work hard. 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 10:50 AM

109 posts, read 235,286 times

Advertisements

How are Americans lazy? Most European countries have less than a 40hr work week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 10:54 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
Well I put both as a majority. The majority of Illegal workers are not lazy, they are in a constant state of fear. Americans are not lazy when we need them most, such as 9/11, Katrina, etc....
That I agree with.

Best anaology would be to the slave labor that the Nazi's, etc. used during WW II---------big difference is the illegals here at least get paid something and can leave anytime they want.

General Tojo of Imperial Japan made that exact same mistake thinking that us Americans were basicaly lazy losers--------till we all but destroyed that nation duirng WW II.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:58 AM

13,043 posts, read 21,154,444 times
Quote:
European immigrants. But it's not like the old days, 35% of the population are not first generation European immigrants.
Do you mind if I ask how old you are? It might help put your responses into perspective.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 AM

Quote:
European immigrants. But it's not like the old days, 35% of the population are not first generation European immigrants.
You must mean 200 years ago or better.

Even in 1920 when we slowed down the stream of immigrants (from everywhere)-------our population was maybe 20% foreign born, tops.

Old 07-23-2008, 10:59 AM

263 posts, read 1,875,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Do you mind if I ask how old you are? It might help put your responses into perspective.
I'm 23.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
You must mean 200 years ago or better.

Even in 1920 when we slowed down the stream of immigrants (from everywhere)-------our population was maybe 20% foreign born, tops.
...and were what now... maybe 10% foreign born other than the Mexicans?

Old 07-23-2008, 11:12 AM

Quote:
...and were what now... maybe 10% foreign born other than the Mexicans?
Factoing in those folks born in Mexico who are either US citizens or green card holders.......I am guessing 10% as you stated

Old 07-23-2008, 11:13 AM

15,179 posts, read 15,807,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Then you can speak for yourself. I'm American and I have a strong work ethic. My work doesn't end at the office either, I am working for pretty much all my waking hours.
Thank you! Legal U.S. citizens do not have a monopoly on laziness; nor do the majority of illegals have exemplary work ethics. The only people who ‘may’ only work 8 hours and leave their jobs at work, are non-exempt employees. Most exempt employees work well over 8 hours, and do indeed take work home on a regular basis. Some are even on-call, and wouldn’t dare be separated from their BlackBerry or cell phone.

Compared to other countries, U.S. workers take less time off from work for R&R, and work longer hours. I’m not sure what your premise is, but at 23 you haven’t been in the workforce long enough to become an arbiter of the work habits of MOST U.S. citizens.

If illegals were granted citizenship, they would no longer be exploitable, and would be protected by labor laws. More importantly, they would no longer be an attractive labor pool for the greedy unscrupulous employers, who are amassing great fortunes from dirt cheap illegal labor. Therefore, the new “citizens” would find themselves in the same predicament as other low-skilled U.S. citizens……in a canoe in treacherous waters -- without a paddle, life jacket, or communication device. In other words, SOL.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:22 AM

I've been working for 9 years. So I do have somewhat of an understanding in the 21's century. I worked a lot from the ages 10-15 also, but for relatives illegally tax free (received cash). I was also a small business owner from the ages of 19-21, but got out of it due to stress.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:43 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Quote:
You're speaking about a time before American's were lazy. Come to Illinois and see how clean the Mexicans clean the buildings compared to the Polish immigrants. Also how would a illegal immigrant survive here if they were lazy? They can't get a legitimate job.

I don't have to come to Illinois I work in an office building in downtown Chicago.

As for how they survive, in light of the fact that Chicago is an IA sanctuary, they have plenty of opportunities handed to them on a silver platter. Unfortunately, judging from the rising IA gang statistics, the majority of them prefer making their money selling narcotics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration