U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would Making Illegal's Legal Ruin Mexican Work Ethics?
Yes, they would become lazy like the current American Citizens. 12 70.59%
No, they would continue to work cheap and work hard. 5 29.41%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 02:26 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,003,997 times

Advertisements

They would demand their rights more, but Mexican-American's still work very hard. Its in our culture. Like people say on here, Mexican culture puts an emphasis on hardwork instead of education. With those assimilating, its both.
All these years, Mexicans have been portrayed as workers. Back to when most of them were legal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 03:33 PM

1,169 posts, read 3,309,793 times
I don't agree either that Americans are lazy, so not voting in the poll.
Funny, I'm visiting my old hometown for last few weeks. It's a very small rural area in Oregon with mimimal illegal presence. The houses are being built just like they always have been by a crew of all white workers, and the road construction crews are all white. Some of my former classmates own a business cleaning service, and all the workers are white. So weren't these supposedly jobs Americans won't do? Seems to be still being done by US citizens here.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:13 PM

263 posts, read 1,881,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaT2 View Post
Funny, I'm visiting my old hometown for last few weeks. It's a very small rural area in Oregon with mimimal illegal presence. The houses are being built just like they always have been by a crew of all white workers, and the road construction crews are all white. Some of my former classmates own a business cleaning service, and all the workers are white. So weren't these supposedly jobs Americans won't do? Seems to be still being done by US citizens here.
Are they doing it for $7-8 an hour? If so, I applaud them.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:24 PM

263 posts, read 1,881,332 times
Quote:
Ok, I'm sorry, I thought about the what would happen if there were no illegal aliens while I was eating my lunch. Major corporations would close down that hired them. Small business would take the work, since they could pay their employees more. When I ran my construction business I was making anywhere between $100-300 an hour (when I had work). I can see a cleaning business running successfully if it is a small business. But there would have to be no illegal aliens working in the area. I can see easily making $30-100 an hour cleaning buildings on my own over night or with a crew of 4-5 people making $20 an hour. I really wish something like this would happen around here, our country would be better off without illegal aliens.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:50 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,917,032 times
I can't vote because I don't feel all americans are lazy. Some are but not all in fact not most...
Thailand was in our shoes with Illegals and refugee's from Burma. Everyone thought wow what great workers and they work cheap. They only do jobs Thai's don't like to do. They were given visa's to stay.
Now they walk off the job in mass whenever they feel stressed or feel like it. The Thais that once did those jobs have moved on to other work. It is a crisis in Thai manufacturing to be sure.
By the way the poll should have asked:
Yes they will lose their work ethic as soon as they cornor a particular job market.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:58 PM

1,417 posts, read 855,075 times
This thread makes no sense because one, according to the Pew Hispanic center they make up only 57% of all illegal aliens. Secondly, What does being legal have to do with working harder or less hard? People work for money, case closed.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:02 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,737,812 times
Quote:
Washington and Oregon have a lot of illeglals, Woodburn, Salem, Hillsboro.
I'm not sure where you are at, but Oregon & Washington have more than their share.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:31 PM

1,169 posts, read 3,309,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
Washington and Oregon have a lot of illeglals, Woodburn, Salem, Hillsboro.
I'm not sure where you are at, but Oregon & Washington have more than their share.
Molalla area. Yes, there are some in the state, but still these jobs are done by the locals as they always have been around here anyway. Frankly I was amazed. I haven't visited in awhile, and currently living in California I haven't seen any white construction workers in awhile. The road crews here even had some women holding the traffic signs. I forgot how it used to be. My only point ws there are still some places that don't necessarily need illegals to get by, and that there are jobs many people say Americans won't do being done as they always have been by Americans. There are agricultural workers here though.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:44 PM

1,417 posts, read 855,075 times
Quote:
Molalla area. Yes, there are some in the state, but still these jobs are done by the locals as they always have been around here anyway. Frankly I was amazed. I haven't visited in awhile, and currently living in California I haven't seen any white construction workers in awhile. The road crews here even had some women holding the traffic signs. I forgot how it used to be. My only point ws there are still some places that don't necessarily need illegals to get by, and that there are jobs many people say Americans won't do being done as they always have been by Americans. There are agricultural workers here though.
So because they're Latino you automatically assume they're illegal...?

Old 07-23-2008, 09:01 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,737,812 times
Quote:
I think mostly they worked in the fields and orchards I have not been there for awhile, too much rain, LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration