U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-24-2008, 11:40 PM
 
Location: US
3,082 posts, read 3,346,314 times
Reputation: 1629

Advertisements

We can talk all day and all night about how unfairly illegal immigrants are treated, but the bottom line is, we cannot afford for them to be here.

Center for Immigration Studies

Before anyone discusses how this is a 2004 article, remember that if we couldn't afford them in 2004, how can we afford them now. And if you think employers pass on lower prices to American citizens because of the labor they save, then I have a piece of property here in Florida I'd like to sell you at 2006 prices. You can find video after video and article after article about hospitals collapsing under the strain of treating illegal immigrants, along with the other strains.

The racist and hate arguments are horribly old and weak. Some of the other arguments are so silly, they don't deserve comment. My son attends a predominately Latin school and he asked me if a "Hispanic" is anyone who speaks Spanish. He said he wants to be "Hispanic" too.

But I do have a solution. Anyone who thinks illegals should be granted amnesty, along with any other illegals who come along (as they will--who wouldn't--they are getting everything for free), then those Americans can register and agree to have $200 taken out of every paycheck to pay for the free healthcare and other free benefits illegals receive that American citizens cannot get. Remember, that agreement will extend to your children, grandchildren, and so on, and the amount will be upped according to the increase in free benefits given to illegals. According to what you say here, that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Below is another great article on how to stop illegal immigration. You probably won't like it because it recommends sanctions and a cessation of public benefits.

FAIR: How to Stop Illegal Immigration

A local politician sent out a paper of 2008 survey responses. One of the questions was whether those surveyed supported stricter enforcement of employment verification laws and tougher penalties for employers wo hire illegal immigrants. Out of 2493 responses, 2255 said "yes."

People are sick of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2008, 11:42 PM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,858,290 times
Reputation: 22174
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I fail to see how politicans are bending backward to cater to illegal immigrants. I have heard some politicians express the difficulty that would be involved with deporting the tens of millions of illegal immigrants in this country. That is not false. We have NEVER even attempted to deport those numbers of people. There are a whole bunch of circumstances that makes make illegal immigration more than a black and white issue. There are some politicians who see that and who are proposing reasonable ideas for the immigration situation. If you think this country is in poor economic shape now, let's deport 15 million people over the next week and see what happens. It wouldn't be pretty.
Exactly. We have never even attempted to deport illegals so who can say it's not possible? Mexico did, Mexico certainly believes it's economy is greatly enhanced by having 15 million of it's people gone from there. If Mexico doesn't want it's people, then why should we?

Any time even 5 illegals are sent back, the Mexican government is all up in arms about how damaging they are to the Mexican economy. With the loss of over 10% of it's population, Mexico has moved up fast economically. Mexico no longer has to provide the free schools and free hospitals for over 10% of it's population. It doesn't have to build prisons, wealthy Mexicans pay very little taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,923,670 times
Reputation: 6517
Yes Mexico has become masters of the crying game. They have watched and learned that some americans are simply born with the need to apologize often repeatedly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2008, 12:24 AM
 
Location: 602/520
2,441 posts, read 5,949,823 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Exactly. We have never even attempted to deport illegals so who can say it's not possible? Mexico did, Mexico certainly believes it's economy is greatly enhanced by having 15 million of it's people gone from there. If Mexico doesn't want it's people, then why should we?

Any time even 5 illegals are sent back, the Mexican government is all up in arms about how damaging they are to the Mexican economy. With the loss of over 10% of it's population, Mexico has moved up fast economically. Mexico no longer has to provide the free schools and free hospitals for over 10% of it's population. It doesn't have to build prisons, wealthy Mexicans pay very little taxes.
Deporting 15 million people is impossible. Many of the 15 million people who anti-illegal immigrant activists want to deport are part of the backbone of the low-skilled, low-wage American economy. All of those jobs will NOT be filled up by American workers. Some of the jobs currently done by illegal immigrants would not be touched with a 10-foot pole by Americans. Many illegal immigrants have a much stronger work ethic than Americans. After all, employment is the main reason many illegal immigrants are in the United States. Additionally, the challenge of not only deporting people working those jobs, but paying new workers a higher wage for the same position. Many businesses can't afford to do that.

There are a host of other issues including parents who are illegal, but children who are legal, people who were brought here illegally by their parents at a very young age and raised in the United States, etc. These are intricate issues that cannot be solved. While we spent countless time and money trying to figure out how to deport ALL of the illegal immigrants who are here, more will cross the border into the United States. It's almost like trying to take a bucket and scoop all the water out of the ocean. It's not going to work.

I don't know who this "we" is that you are referring to? I doubt American citizens will ever see eye to eye on illegal immigration. As I have stated, I do not have a problem with hard-working, honest illegal immigrants. They have absolutely no effect on my day-to-day routine. They are so intertwined in society by now that any effort to remove them would not be wise. You have no idea of the negatives that would come with deporting 15 million people.

I have not heard any news reports about how the Mexican government complains every time we send 5 illegal immigrants back. The fact of the matter is that we are doing what we can to curtail the issue. For every 5 illegal immigrants who we send back, 30 will replace them. As long as the economic picture in the United States is better than it is in Mexico, we will have people coming here.

Who knows, if we had Mexico's economy and they had ours, you might be down in Nogales, Sasabe, or San Luis trying to hop the border into Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2008, 12:35 AM
 
Location: 602/520
2,441 posts, read 5,949,823 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
We can talk all day and all night about how unfairly illegal immigrants are treated, but the bottom line is, we cannot afford for them to be here.

Center for Immigration Studies

Before anyone discusses how this is a 2004 article, remember that if we couldn't afford them in 2004, how can we afford them now. And if you think employers pass on lower prices to American citizens because of the labor they save, then I have a piece of property here in Florida I'd like to sell you at 2006 prices. You can find video after video and article after article about hospitals collapsing under the strain of treating illegal immigrants, along with the other strains.

The racist and hate arguments are horribly old and weak. Some of the other arguments are so silly, they don't deserve comment. My son attends a predominately Latin school and he asked me if a "Hispanic" is anyone who speaks Spanish. He said he wants to be "Hispanic" too.

But I do have a solution. Anyone who thinks illegals should be granted amnesty, along with any other illegals who come along (as they will--who wouldn't--they are getting everything for free), then those Americans can register and agree to have $200 taken out of every paycheck to pay for the free healthcare and other free benefits illegals receive that American citizens cannot get. Remember, that agreement will extend to your children, grandchildren, and so on, and the amount will be upped according to the increase in free benefits given to illegals. According to what you say here, that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Below is another great article on how to stop illegal immigration. You probably won't like it because it recommends sanctions and a cessation of public benefits.

FAIR: How to Stop Illegal Immigration

A local politician sent out a paper of 2008 survey responses. One of the questions was whether those surveyed supported stricter enforcement of employment verification laws and tougher penalties for employers wo hire illegal immigrants. Out of 2493 responses, 2255 said "yes."

People are sick of it.
I guess this is supposed to be in loose reference to my postings. I would love to hear how my claims of racism are horribly old and weak. I asked a poster how he was sure that everyone he termed an "illegal immigrant" was, in fact, an illegal immigrant? He failed to even address my question, so that leads me to believe that he really has no idea on whether the people he deals with are actually illegals. I guess because they live different lifestyles and speak a different language they must not belong here.

I am really sorry that you had to contend with the indescribable horror of your son telling you he wanted to be Hispanic. I can't imagine the anguish and physical pain that you must have felt. Seriously though, illegal immigration is not going to stop any time soon. You quoted an article back from 2004. It is now almost 2009. Obviously this country hasn't fallen apart yet. It is brutally apparent in this economic recession that we have a lot more serious issues to worry about than if our neighbors are citizens.

I wish you and the 2,000 other Americans luck in trying to move 15 million people to another country. You're going to need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2008, 01:37 AM
 
47,576 posts, read 58,858,290 times
Reputation: 22174
Deportation hasn't been tried so how can you claim it cannot work? Lets start out by deporting 15 million, see if it cuts back some of the welfare use and medical costs and crime. Then we can go from there.

Remember -- Mexico was able to accomplish it, why can't we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2008, 02:37 AM
 
Location: 602/520
2,441 posts, read 5,949,823 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Deportation hasn't been tried so how can you claim it cannot work? Lets start out by deporting 15 million, see if it cuts back some of the welfare use and medical costs and crime. Then we can go from there.

Remember -- Mexico was able to accomplish it, why can't we?
How has Mexico successfully achieved deportation? As far as I am concerned, Mexico never tried to rid itself of millions of people Millions of people have voluntarily crossed the border. It's not as if they were exiled.

You act as though we can implement a plan where people will want to go back to Mexico, or whatever country they came from. We can't. Unless you want to significantly reduce the quality of life for ALL Americans to the point where Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, etc. become attractive I do not know how you are going to shuffle so many people back there.

Can YOU tell me why YOU have such a huge problem with illegal immigrants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2008, 02:43 AM
 
Location: southern california
55,237 posts, read 72,580,874 times
Reputation: 47459
i am anti illegal anything. i am pro legal. they call pro illegal people crooks no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2008, 07:54 AM
 
Location: DFW - Coppell / Las Colinas
30,018 posts, read 34,685,876 times
Reputation: 36053
Default You've got to start somewhere

Quote:
Deporting 15 million people is impossible.
It's really simple, you do it 1 bus load at a time.

What's the old saying --- How do you eat an elephant ? One bite at a time.

Hey, I'd be satisfied with 1 bus load at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2008, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,685,038 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
How has Mexico successfully achieved deportation? As far as I am concerned, Mexico never tried to rid itself of millions of people Millions of people have voluntarily crossed the border. It's not as if they were exiled.

You act as though we can implement a plan where people will want to go back to Mexico, or whatever country they came from. We can't. Unless you want to significantly reduce the quality of life for ALL Americans to the point where Mexico, Honduras, Guatemala, etc. become attractive I do not know how you are going to shuffle so many people back there.

Can YOU tell me why YOU have such a huge problem with illegal immigrants?
Because illegal immigrants are arrogant lawbreakers-------especially factoring in crimes like ID theft with are Felonies.

Moreover: the USA is a sovereign nation yet that cabal of losers in government/big business are de facto traitors selling out regular working class Americans.

So a bunch of 'yuppies' will have to pay market wages for the hired help-------tough.

Next question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top