U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-24-2008, 06:24 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Like the Muslim Nazi's?
Remember that Louis Farrakhan (Nation of Islam and a Black man) apparently was close to George Lincoln Rockwell, a deceased leader of the American Nazi Party.

Farrakhan has been quoted as saying Hitler was a great man----never mind that quite a few German Black (Negro) citizens were murdered by the latter man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-24-2008, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Northern VA (for now)
22,998 posts, read 31,942,334 times
Reputation: 30367
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I can't get over all these people who want to blame illegal immigrants for all the problems they're dealing with in their lives. Please tell me how you know that primary reason your college and high school peers were because of illegal immigrants? You can't. Did prospective employers tell them the reason they weren't getting hired is because of illegal immigration? Highly doubtful. Your excuses sound like a cop out or just a blatant lie. Most illegals who come here work low-skill jobs. Please tell me how illegals impeded your college friends from getting a professional job? Are illegal immigrants suddenly financial planners, teachers, or government workers? I don't think so. Do your friends have jobs now, or are they still unemployed while blaming other people for their plight?

I made a point of saying that most illegal immigrants who are here are hard-working, honest people. I am sorry if you have to contend with the MS-13 gang in your community. I would again ask you how you know that all the people in the gang are illegal immigrants? Are they unable to produce social security cards upon your requests? Did one or two of them drop a birth certificate and an expired green card out of the window during a drive-by that you just happened to sweep up later? Likely, no. Are they Hispanic, and do they speak Spanish? The likely answer to that is yes. Same goes with your neighbors who you claim "do whatever the please." How do you know that they're illegal? You like don't. You likely presume that because they converse in another language and have 10-20 in a house that they must be illegal.

There are certain cultures where many people do live within one household. I am sure that 20 unrelated people living in one house is illegal pretty much anywhere in the United States. Why don't you call the police on these people if they are causing a disturbance or breaking the law? While you do it, how about telling police that you suspect these people are illegal immigrants. If they are breaking a law, the police can check to make sure that they are in the country legally. If they are here illegally, they mostly either go to jail and/or get deported.

It sounds like you have very little, if any, hard evidence that the people who you live around and come across are illegal immigrants. I don't really care if you're African-American, white, Asian, or Latin American, you can still be racist. All the problems that you describe dealing with can be caused by legal residents. There are plenty of Americans who are overcrowded into housing and apartment units. There are plenty of Americans who are part of street gangs terrorizing communties. I fail to see what you feel is the differentiating factor between those types of Americans and illegal immigrants that gives you the power to presume that certain people around you are illegal.

I dont give ALL the blame to illegals. I also blame my elected officals for not listening to the at-large public and catering to these illegals. I blame business for caring about their bottom line more than the needs of my community by hiring illegals.

Are illegals the sole cause of the problems i mentioned? No, but they sure dont help matters.

The reason i like to mention my race in this forum is that too many people see this as a white vs. hispanic issue. Being an anti-illegal black gives me a platform to say that this is an At-large public vs. radicals issue.

Last edited by The Dissenter; 07-24-2008 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 07:32 PM
 
29 posts, read 151,719 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Jimjames since you want to legalize the ones here, in your estimation should they have to pass a test in English or should we just continue to be forced to learn their language?
I don't believe anyone should be forced to do anything as far as learning but its obviously advantageous to incoming immigrants who want to assimilate to learn the prevalent language which is English. I also do believe it is advantageous for English speakers to try and learn other major languages in the US, especially Spanish if not for anything then for business purposes.

But since this is really a "cultural war" (the immigration debate), if and when this or the coming White House passes some sort of legalization bill or begins path to citizenship process, I will not be surprised if there is an in-built clause or requirement to learn some basic English as a condition for legalization..but again, we'll have to wait and see...

Last edited by jimjames3000; 07-24-2008 at 08:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 07:34 PM
 
Location: London UK & Florida USA
7,922 posts, read 7,617,489 times
Reputation: 2035
It's NOT anti immigration that Americans are looking for. It's Anti ILLEGAL immigration. Big difference but they are always being spoken about as if they are the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 07:41 PM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,611,035 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I dont give ALL the blame to illegals. I also blame my elected officals for not listening to the at-large public and catering to these illegals. I blame business for caring about their bottom line more than the needs of my community by hiring illegals.

Are illegals the sole cause of the problems i mentioned? No, but they sure dont help matters.

The reason i like to mention my race in this forum is that too many people see this as a white vs. hispanic issue. Being an anti-illegal black gives me a platform to say that this is an At-large public vs. radicals issue.
As you stated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 07:57 PM
 
Location: 602/520
2,441 posts, read 5,931,647 times
Reputation: 1815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I dont give ALL the blame to illegals. I also blame my elected officals for not listening to the at-large public and catering to these illegals. I blame business for caring about their bottom line more than the needs of my community by hiring illegals.

Are illegals the sole cause of the problems i mentioned? No, but they sure dont help matters.

The reason i like to mention my race in this forum is that too many people see this as a white vs. hispanic issue. Being an anti-illegal black gives me a platform to say that this is an At-large public vs. radicals issue.
You have yet to explain to me how you know these problems that are (have) affecting (ed) your friends were caused by people who you are sure are illegal immigrants, or as you describe them "these illegals." Until you can prove to me something different, I can only believe you classify people as being illegal immigrants using superficial criteria. Whenever someone starts classifying groups of people using superficial criteria they are considered to stereotype people, which is often caused by prejudiced or racist thoughts.

I fail to see how politicans are bending backward to cater to illegal immigrants. I have heard some politicians express the difficulty that would be involved with deporting the tens of millions of illegal immigrants in this country. That is not false. We have NEVER even attempted to deport those numbers of people. There are a whole bunch of circumstances that makes make illegal immigration more than a black and white issue. There are some politicians who see that and who are proposing reasonable ideas for the immigration situation. If you think this country is in poor economic shape now, let's deport 15 million people over the next week and see what happens. It wouldn't be pretty.

I realize that illegal immigration is often thought of as a white VS. Hispanic, it's not. I don't really question the fact that illegal immigration is an issue that needs to be addressed. I just question people's motives for being against illegal immigration. A lot of comments on this sub-forum are full of people using the term "illegal" on people who they do not know are illegal immigrants. A lot of people think that non-English speaking Mexicans in the United States are illegal immigrants. Some think that people who live in households with 5 or 6+ people are automatically illegal immigrants. That's where I have a problem. There is NO justification for classifying people's immigration status off of what you think they are. I personally think that one of the reasons that this immigration battle is mainly seen as a white VS. Hispanic issue is because other minority groups know the vehement discrimination and stereotyping they had (have) to face from other groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 08:02 PM
 
Location: London UK & Florida USA
7,922 posts, read 7,617,489 times
Reputation: 2035
Why not just open the borders and allow any one from anywhere to come into America. That is what is happening now with the mexican Border. Why call it America... Call it everywhere land. America should have borders and only allow in who they see fit to live in America. Not just every waste of space that wants a slice of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 08:12 PM
 
Location: California
3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Reputation: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I dont give ALL the blame to illegals. I also blame my elected officals for not listening to the at-large public and catering to these illegals. I blame business for caring about their bottom line more than the needs of my community by hiring illegals.

Are illegals the sole cause of the problems i mentioned? No, but they sure dont help matters.

The reason i like to mention my race in this forum is that too many people see this as a white vs. hispanic issue. Being an anti-illegal black gives me a platform to say that this is an At-large public vs. radicals issue.
There are plenty of Blacks, Whites, and even Latinos who are against illegal immigration.

But theres also some whites and blacks who are just anti-Latino.

Just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 08:23 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
2,568 posts, read 5,837,600 times
Reputation: 1905
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Why not just open the borders and allow any one from anywhere to come into America. That is what is happening now with the mexican Border. Why call it America... Call it everywhere land. America should have borders and only allow in who they see fit to live in America. Not just every waste of space that wants a slice of America.
America goes from Canada all the way to Argentina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2008, 08:23 PM
 
29 posts, read 151,719 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
You have yet to explain to me how you know these problems that are (have) affecting (ed) your friends were caused by people who you are sure are illegal immigrants, or as you describe them "these illegals." Until you can prove to me something different, I can only believe you classify people as being illegal immigrants using superficial criteria. Whenever someone starts classifying groups of people using superficial criteria they are considered to stereotype people, which is often caused by prejudiced or racist thoughts.

I fail to see how politicans are bending backward to cater to illegal immigrants. I have heard some politicians express the difficulty that would be involved with deporting the tens of millions of illegal immigrants in this country. That is not false. We have NEVER even attempted to deport those numbers of people. There are a whole bunch of circumstances that makes make illegal immigration more than a black and white issue. There are some politicians who see that and who are proposing reasonable ideas for the immigration situation. If you think this country is in poor economic shape now, let's deport 15 million people over the next week and see what happens. It wouldn't be pretty.

I realize that illegal immigration is often thought of as a white VS. Hispanic, it's not. I don't really question the fact that illegal immigration is an issue that needs to be addressed. I just question people's motives for being against illegal immigration. A lot of comments on this sub-forum are full of people using the term "illegal" on people who they do not know are illegal immigrants. A lot of people think that non-English speaking Mexicans in the United States are illegal immigrants. Some think that people who live in households with 5 or 6+ people are automatically illegal immigrants. That's where I have a problem. There is NO justification for classifying people's immigration status off of what you think they are. I personally think that one of the reasons that this immigration battle is mainly seen as a white VS. Hispanic issue is because other minority groups know the vehement discrimination and stereotyping they had (have) to face from other groups.
I think this post is extremely important and I commend you for your boldness miamiman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top