Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 08:00 AM

4,829 posts, read 7,748,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I smell a troll.... its obvious the OP is wrong... I think he is just trying to troll the thread...
How is the OP a troll? Just because he has different views from you doesn't make him a troll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjames3000 View Post
As an American, I personally feel that the anti-immigrant wave that is sweeping the country is both unfair and immoral. Now before I catch some heat and be labeled a pro-illegal, there are some observations I’d like to share with everyone:

1. Anti-immigrant proponents say “another amnesty would not be good for America”. They fail to explain why and how……
2. If you look at a lot of the “anti-illegal” comments and the people who post them, they are just one-liners, filled with a loathsome dislike for “illegals”. Note the statements are one-liners and lack intelligent debate.
3. On the economy, it's not illegals who are to blame. Illegals are not running the Federal Reserve and the US Chamber of Commerce (nor the banking industry)
4. There are anywhere between 10 to 25 million illegals in the country. This number is not deportable and they cannot even fit in the current justice system facilities (jails) that we have. So the people baying for mass deportations are deluded. One report states that it would take 60,000 flights flying daily to ship everyone back home or cost hundreds of billions of dollars to investigate, arrest, incarcerate, process and ship ALL the illegals.
5. That illegals are “taking jobs” from Americans is not entirely accurate. The top of the crème American jobs are not for the unskilled. They require college degrees and above to fill and therefore are still filled by Americans.
6. E-verify-If implemented tomorrow, over 10 million people will suddenly be without jobs and no way to feed their families or survive. Crime would skyrocket and social upheaval would be rampant. I don’t know of a society that can remain stable with 10 million or more people who suddenly are without a livelihood. Cities like San Antonio, Miami, Houston and LA would experience social upheavals not unlike the LA riots. Washington and the general US public also cannot tolerate a 10%+ national unemployment rate.
7. The US economy is fanned almost 100% by consumerism. That means it depends entirely on you and me's shopping especially for luxuries. The removal of the 10 million plus purchasing power from the economy would wreak havoc and wildly suppress the consumer confidence index.
8. The current housing market crisis-This was caused by over-construction and traditionally high credit requirements. To get rid of excess inventory, the lenders decided to depress the credit requirements and started lending to people with sub-prime credit who eventually defaulted causing the system to crash. The banking industry is also reeling because of the same thing. Legalizing immigrants would actually jumpstart the housing market because many immigrants who are now living underground would come into the economic mainstream (not to mention that they are already in the social mainstream)
9. The US economy’s 3-4% annual growth still generates thousands of “odd jobs” which Americans do not want and will not do (that is why over 90% of all illegals have jobs!)

I could go on……but lets look at the proposed solutions

1. Not all immigrants are the same. Not all are illiterate welfare pushers. Many have families, college degrees, jobs and are daily contributors to the US economy. These are ALREADY integrated in the economy. Legalizing them would not harm the US in anyway.
2. There are immigrants who have been here for too long and have no ties to their home countries.
3 .The argument that an amnesty would cause the immigrants to invite their relatives living in their home countries is not true. A recent poll shows that most immigrants are opposed to this.
4. Legalizing immigrants would actually keep jobs in America because many of them would start businesses, contribute to consumer spending on big ticket items and boost the economy.
5.We can simply institute a fine for violating the law and the millions raised would be used to fund technological advancements are the border, better employer verification and next generation ID cards.

The "hate" we're witnessing has been fueled by recent reports and publications showing that by the year 2050, indigenous whites will not be the majority. This is simply because their birthrate is lower as opposed to that of today's minorities.
Good post.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:29 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I thnik ti is like anyhting else in which the law is ignored by the governamnt and then problems start. It turns into a matter of urgency.If the governamnt and those supporting this ileagl activity would have aloowed more pro active satnce thqan this reactive reaction wouldn't have occurred.Ignoring a law is not a wise thing really becuase the law reflects the eoles thoughts.

Old 07-24-2008, 08:48 AM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
Get rid of the Anchor baby law and forcefully punish employers who hire illegals and you will see a drop in illegal immigrants invading our country.

For those that support them, you have my permission to fund them on your own. Don't expect me to pay for them.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:29 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,127 times
I also find illegals being victimized when it is in reality the employers and the federal Government to blame. Putting it in perspective, its like putting pie on the window sill. If people are hungry enough, they'll come and get it. There really is no barrier stopping them, not even the border.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I also find illegals being victimized when it is in reality the employers and the federal Government to blame. Putting it in perspective, its like putting pie on the window sill. If people are hungry enough, they'll come and get it. There really is no barrier stopping them, not even the border.
Blaming the gov't and employers is not as fun.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:07 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
The same way they got here but in reverse. They then apply like millions of others who have legally immigrated to America and wait there turn.

Random
Apply for what? They is not a visa they can apply for.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:09 AM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
Get rid of the Anchor baby law
So you do not want people born in US to have the rights of Citizenship? Um just like Europe was ...

Old 07-24-2008, 10:10 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
They KNOW what they're doing - they know it's illegal, they know it's illegal to steal someone else's identity, they're not stupid AT ALL. They know they get benefits if they come over here.

And, what really, really burns the American taxpayers' butts is that they take and take from us - OUR money - and then spit in our faces - flip us the bird, march around with Mexican flags, actually "demanding" their so-called rights!

No one likes people who bite the hand that feeds them.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:14 AM

1,417 posts, read 1,157,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
They KNOW what they're doing - they know it's illegal, they know it's illegal to steal someone else's identity, they're not stupid AT ALL. They know they get benefits if they come over here.

And, what really, really burns the American taxpayers' butts is that they take and take from us - OUR money - and then spit in our faces - flip us the bird, march around with Mexican flags, actually "demanding" their so-called rights!

No one likes people who bite the hand that feeds them.
Wait so you don't blame the federal government for making it so they get benefits and you pay for them? The only place you should be rallying for immigration reform is in front of the white house, not on the other side of the street protesting against the pro-illegal groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration