U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:32 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Yeah you're absolutely correct. But there is nothing like riling up people by jacking up polls another 20% LOL!

Agreed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 11:59 AM

3,496 posts, read 8,344,345 times
Illegal Immigration is a hot topic...But of course isn't as hot an issue as the War...or Gas prices...or the economy...or the housing busts and now banking busts...

People are going to focus in where it hits the the hardest...the pocket book...and while illegals effect everyone in the pocket book it is an indirect effect.

Paying at the pump is a direct hit...seeing your neighbors lose their home is a direct hit...And this is why these are hotter issues right now...

Old 07-24-2008, 12:09 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,816,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
Illegal Immigration is a hot topic...But of course isn't as hot an issue as the War...or Gas prices...or the economy...or the housing busts and now banking busts...

People are going to focus in where it hits the the hardest...the pocket book...and while illegals effect everyone in the pocket book it is an indirect effect.

Paying at the pump is a direct hit...seeing your neighbors lose their home is a direct hit...And this is why these are hotter issues right now...
Agreed. However, as more U.S. citizens lose jobs due to plant closures, outsourcing, and insourcing; and they see illegal aliens working in whatever capacity -- illegal immigration will become a much more “direct hit” and citizens will respond accordingly.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:20 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,898,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Agreed. However, as more U.S. citizens lose jobs due to plant closures, outsourcing, and insourcing; and they see illegal aliens working in whatever capacity -- illegal immigration will become a much more “direct hit” and citizens will respond accordingly.

Excellent points! At the rate that Americans are losing jobs, state by state all the way up to the federal level, the loss of tax dollars will increase.

Already the loss of jobs is resulting in the shrinkage of funds being allocated to track down, jail, deport, pay welfare to and provide food stamps for anchors, is beginning to be scrutinized by local governments.

Even the most corrupt of government officials will have no choice but to take notice and start doing whatever it takes to get rid of the unnecessary financial drain of illegal aliens.

My money is on state by state the reality that it's time to enforce the laws will take hold. The fact that Chicago's IA loving Mayor Daley is ok with Gov. Helmet Hair calling in the National Guard to get rid of the multitude of IA gangbangers has me believing dreams come true and miracles really do happen.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:46 PM

327 posts, read 669,186 times
To be honest, I don't know anyone (well, except one person) who seems to be in a panic over illegals here. It's possible more people are and they just don't verbally express themselves, I suppose.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:22 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Remember too that in most parts of the USA; illegal immigrants really do try to 'fly under the radar'------with the exception of parts of our Southwest (Arizona is becoming too dangerous now) and Chicago, etc.

Besides: the imploding economy may be doing more to force out most of the Hispanic illegals due to their proximity to Mexico than actual ICE enforcement.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:44 PM

3,640 posts, read 4,310,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
We're all created equal-- if we're born in the U.S. So we must bare the burden . Even though I think most social programs should be cut off from the sole purpose of people abusing them. Most being American.
I do love how pro-illegal people love to place any blame on the citizens of this country when they know that the illegals don't belong here in the first place. It reminds me of the Bush administration always blaming Clinton for what they did or got caught doing. No different. Yes, we have idiot citizens that abuse the system, but that does not make it ok for the damn illegals to do it. How in the heck can you love law breakers so much is beyond me.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:39 PM

6,797 posts, read 6,121,348 times
What do you think the results of that poll will be when unemployment hits 8%?

Old 07-26-2008, 01:42 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,628,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
What do you think the results of that poll will be when unemployment hits 8%?
Bingo

For the record: I suspect our unemployment rate here in Arizona would already be at 7-8% if those illegals here were US citizens/green card holders.

Remember an inordinate number of the illegal construction workers here hailed from either Mexico or Guatemala-----and, between the crashing economy and employer sanctions law they are fleeing in droves.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:07 PM

8,575 posts, read 6,089,074 times
I am sure that a lot of them are focused on the economy, which is directly impacted by illegal immigration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Guess how many think that the "invasion" is the most important problem facing the U.S?

2%

http://surveys.ap.org/data/Ipsos/nat...opline_MIP.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration