Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 07:37 AM

7,025 posts, read 11,382,075 times

Advertisements

So far, the toll of AIDS in the nation's largest and fastest growing minority population has mostly been overshadowed by the epidemic among African-Americans and gay white men. Yet in major U.S. cities, as many as 1 in 4 gay Hispanic men have HIV.

Blacks still have the highest HIV rates in the country, but language difficulties, cultural barriers and legal status make the threat in the Hispanic community unique. For those who arrived illegally, fear of arrest and deportation is a daunting obstacle to seeking diagnosis and treatment.

"Officials need to stop downplaying or ignoring what's happening among Latinos," said Oscar De La O, president of Bienestar, a Latino service organization. "We are at the center of the storm."

Even with the United States embroiled in a fierce debate over immigration policy, the problem of AIDS in Latinos had received scant attention from political and public health officials. At the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, where only two of 17 approved HIV programs target Hispanic Americans, officials have added Spanish-language hot lines, confidential testing sites and other initiatives aimed at filling the gap.

AIDS rate swelling among Hispanics -- Page 1 -- Times Union - Albany NY (http://timesunion.com/ASPStories/Story.asp?StoryID=705788&LinkFrom=RSS - broken link)

Just what we need, a nation filled with HIV positive anchor babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 06:18 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,087,565 times
If you don't have sex with them, or share their needles you should be fine.
Look at the aids that have ravaged Africa, and we have our share here also

Old 07-23-2008, 06:21 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,151,926 times
Read this in the article in the newspaper today. JDubsMom, before you get mad at an entire group of people, lets focus on this group of people. The article only mentioned Gay Latino men. chill...

Old 07-23-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Read this in the article in the newspaper today. JDubsMom, before you get mad at an entire group of people, lets focus on this group of people. The article only mentioned Gay Latino men. chill...
Excuse me, but hello but the article clearly states:

Quote:
For those who arrived illegally, fear of arrest and deportation is a daunting obstacle to seeking diagnosis and treatment

And we all know many of them arrive in full blown labor anxious to give birth to an "American citizen", thus my comment about anchor babies.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
If you don't have sex with them, or share their needles you should be fine.
Look at the aids that have ravaged Africa, and we have our share here also

Wow, thank you for your delusionallly useless and unsolicited advice Nurse sassyone.

Old 07-23-2008, 06:43 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,635,106 times
Default Information should be made available!

All I can say about this is they are here, so we may as well help get the information out there to them so they can start exercising due caution. Not that that is a solution, we here in the US have known about AIDS for thirty years and we still have our fair share of cases. But if we can make information available to these people who are ignorant of the epidemic, it may help combat the rising number of cases. I am by no means pro illegal, but I see no reason not to help spread the word and provide info. to these people who seem to be at high risk right now. We don't need this on top of our already mounting problems with the illegal population. My question is do they provide information on this subject at any of the 47 Mexican consulates around the country. If not those places would be a great place to start spreading the word. We need to all remember that this disease is in fact an epidemic which has killed millions of people around the world. Anything we can do to help anyone get informed about this disease is helpful. No matter if they are illegal or not.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:42 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,151,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post

And we all know many of them arrive in full blown labor anxious to give birth to an "American citizen", thus my comment about anchor babies.
GAY MEN. How many illegals are there? And how many are gay? Homosexuality in Mexican culture is really taboo. How are illegal aliens Anchor babies? Last time I checked people who were born in the U.S are American citizens.

Old 07-23-2008, 07:48 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,087,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post

How does the ones in full blown labor relate to AIDS ?

Old 07-23-2008, 09:36 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,515,932 times
And how much of it has to do with the AIDS sufferers of Mexico and Central America coming here to claim their free health care? A whole lot of HIV positive types have recently immigrated and why not? In Mexico they might have to pay something toward their health care, here it will be provided free of charge.

Old 07-23-2008, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
All I can say about this is they are here, so we may as well help get the information out there to them so they can start exercising due caution. Not that that is a solution, we here in the US have known about AIDS for thirty years and we still have our fair share of cases. But if we can make information available to these people who are ignorant of the epidemic, it may help combat the rising number of cases. I am by no means pro illegal, but I see no reason not to help spread the word and provide info. to these people who seem to be at high risk right now. We don't need this on top of our already mounting problems with the illegal population. My question is do they provide information on this subject at any of the 47 Mexican consulates around the country. If not those places would be a great place to start spreading the word. We need to all remember that this disease is in fact an epidemic which has killed millions of people around the world. Anything we can do to help anyone get informed about this disease is helpful. No matter if they are illegal or not.
The only thing the Mexican government/consulates supplies are matricular cards and instructions on how to cross the border and if caught how to avoid deportation. THEY DON'T CARE about their "brown people" why do you think they supply them with maps and instructions on how to illegally cross our borders? They have built 47 consulates here so that the "brown people" don't have an excuse or a reason to come back. As for us educating them, like everything else, I'm sure our "generous government" provides pamphlets in SPANISH, it's not like the have to LEARN ENGLISH to read them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration