U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:28 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Do you guys believe the federal government is not to blame for any of this?
Obviously it is, the federal government is in the pockets of the greedy corporations who benefit by unlimited illegal immigration but also there seems to be "deals" made between the corrupt Mexican government and our own. Mexico obviously relies very much on the "safety valve" of massive immigration to the USA.

As long as people who want a better life can simply cross the border, it helps the very very wealthy elite of Mexico remain in control, otherwise there would be a big demand for reform. Many wealthy Mexicans are perfectly happy with the status quo and why not? Although their fellow citizens might be dying by the hundreds every year trying to get out, they themselves are rolling in the money. They see no reason to change a thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 10:29 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I would say FOLLOW THE MONEY. Many illegal apologists are obviously employers of them, they are profiting very nicely from all the cheap illegal labor either through their businesses that employ them or the plentiful low wage servants they believe they are entitled to.

Remember -- with illegal immigration, the profits are privatized, the costs are socialized. Many of the apologists see nothing better than bringing down wages of this country, and having a very large pool of very desperate submissive workers.
And I am afraid you are correct

I suspect that quite a few so-called 'Yuppies' would be up the proverbial creek without a paddle if they had to pay market prices for their hired help.

Oh well.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:35 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Quote:
Obviously it is, the federal government is in the pockets of the greedy corporations who benefit by unlimited illegal immigration but also there seems to be "deals" made between the corrupt Mexican government and our own. Mexico obviously relies very much on the "safety valve" of massive immigration to the USA.

As long as people who want a better life can simply cross the border, it helps the very very wealthy elite of Mexico remain in control, otherwise there would be a big demand for reform. Many wealthy Mexicans are perfectly happy with the status quo and why not? Although their fellow citizens might be dying by the hundreds every year trying to get out, they themselves are rolling in the money. They see no reason to change a thing.
Really? Then why all the city's and certain states refusing to uphold federal laws? Why are certain states passing laws making it difficult for employers to verify status?
We tread lightly on Mexico because we need not just want their oil. I am all for hitting them with tariffs and shutting down NAFTA. But guess what its not just the GOV and greedy corporations. Blame the lazy cheap individuals out there who hire illegals to everything from lawn care to house keeping. Blame the greedy landlords who knowingly allow illegals to rent from them. Blame the hard left politicians who are passing sanctuary laws. Blame Joe good neighbor who doesn't report illegals when he finds out about them.
Blame the fed gov for not making it easier to do so.

Old 07-25-2008, 07:42 AM

8,575 posts, read 6,084,465 times
the federal government is certainly to blame. they are enablers. if they did their job and FINED people who rent to and employ illegals, and cut off all social programs to illegals, the illegals would go away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Do you guys believe the federal government is not to blame for any of this?

Old 07-25-2008, 07:44 AM

didn't say I was cool, just pointed out that you weren't. all you do is apologize for people who break the laws. you don't offer any solutions, you just call those who want reform, and to enforce current laws, racists. tired, boring, predictable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
Haha, with the amount of time i spend on this part of the forum, i'm even surprised i even have more than a 25 point reputation.

FYI, it was even worse when the negative rep system was in place. Btw, you are so cool for having a 300 plus reputation on a message board. *High Five*

Old 07-25-2008, 08:28 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,989,171 times
Quote:

And there you have it. The nations roll toward absolute corporatism. The corporations run the government. The government serves the corporate interests first and foremost and the people get the scraps. The door is open to...dare I use the word? No I'll just call it corporatism, as it should be called.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:08 AM

20,310 posts, read 18,878,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
the federal government is certainly to blame. they are enablers. if they did their job and FINED people who rent to and employ illegals, and cut off all social programs to illegals, the illegals would go away.
Easier said than done. You have many cities with sanctuary laws that protect illegals and make it difficult for fed law enforcement to do their jobs. I feel any state or city that does not comply with fed law should forfeit any fed money.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:49 AM

that's how they got louisiana to raise the drinking age in the state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Easier said than done. You have many cities with sanctuary laws that protect illegals and make it difficult for fed law enforcement to do their jobs. I feel any state or city that does not comply with fed law should forfeit any fed money.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:01 AM

2,731 posts, read 5,935,503 times
I wish i could understand the thought process of the pro-illegal crowd.
Why would anyone be in favor of something that hurts wages,increases crime..
There are a few things i believe motivate some folks.
1.More Illegals=Future Democrat votes
2.Some elites and corporations would love to drive down wages,benefits.
To be against Illegal Immigration is common sense and rational.
Time to think about whats good for OUR country and not bleeding heart sentiment.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:10 PM

185 posts, read 319,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Here's my 2 cents....as can be seen on this forum, today's controvery over illegal immigration is 10% logic, and 90% emotion....with the logic strongly supporting the "anti" position. Like it or not, 'shake' it any way you like, illegal immigration is essentially nothing more than a low-level crime. Its huge numbers are what's now getting it so much attention.

Those who support illegal immigration are forced to 'rationalize' it, since it cannot be supported by logic. No one advocates 'the cause' of tax cheats, 'deadbeat dads', or drunk drivers...yet many people who KNOW better insist on advocating for the "cause" of illegals. To do so, they must obviously rationalize. Usually, this takes one or more of several predictable 'stances'..:

(1) Illegals break the law, but they're really "good" people..

(2) Illegals break the law, but that's OK, because it's a 'stupid' law..

(3) Illegals may be 'bad', but most Americans are 'just as bad'...

(4) Illegals can't "help themselves", because various well-connected Americans 'lure' them here...

(5) To oppose illegals is an act of racism..thus the 'opposition' to them becomes worse than what the illegals themselves do...

(6) America has a long tradition of welcoming immigrants...thus illegals arriving here are part of our 'tradition'...with one small difference..

(7) We'd 'like' to stop illegal immigration, but efforts to do so would end in failure, since 'it can't be stopped'...thus we should save our money and not even try..

(8) Illegals cause problems, but other things cause WORSE problems...

Bottom line is, you can support illegal immigration all day long...but you can't do it from a logical or rational position...thus supporters of illegals are forced to rationalize....or to 'cloud the issue'. Thus, almost NO ONE argues from the point that "illegal immigration is good"...rather, it's argued from the point that "illegal immigration really isn't bad....it just SEEMS bad. You only THINK it's bad because you're a racist"....arguments like this, based on emotion, are almost impossible to 'settle', because neither side accepts the other side's 'proof'.
Excellent post! That sums up the crux of the matter better than any post I've seen anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration