Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 05:07 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,523,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Thank you!
You're welcome. Now I'm going to go lie down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 05:20 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,740,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
It is not necessary for you to inject black people into every discussion when trying to make a point about Mexicans and discrimination, and the terrible treatment illegal Mexicans are experiencing in this country. Your incessant involvement of black people in your discussions is unnecessary and irrelevant, and adds nothing to this debate.

Bottom line....fight your own battles, with your own weapons; and stop pulling on the coattails of blacks. Our struggles are not now, nor have they ever been the same.
Pulling on the coattails of blacks? Please.
Its not a competition, and people like you who view it in that way are the reason cooperation is so difficult.

You didn't grow up around a lot of Mexicans. I feel pretty safe in assuming you grew up in a black/white society.

I didnt. Modern problems are different than the problems of the civil rights era, and I saw the Black kids down the way dealing with the same issues as the Mexican kids in our neighborhood.

Theres plenty of Black people who realize the shared problems of Blacks and Latinos.
Its people like you who have the "US FIRST!" mentality that make working together difficult. You cant even fathom any shared problems.

Old 07-28-2008, 05:51 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,740,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I may be a bit of a "see it to believe it" guy...But for a Catholic, that wouldn't work too well.(We HAVE to believe a lot of stuff we can't see) What I am MOSTLY, is a "there's trouble, and then there's REAL trouble" kind of guy. I 'came of age' during the Viet Nam years. I did military service, I distinctly remember MLK, the civil rights struggle...even the 'Central High School' debacle in Little Rock, Arkansas. I've seen TRUE discrimination, and TRUE problems faced by people...and I've seen other problems that people 'thought' they had...or discrimination that people 'thought' might be in others' minds.....I've seen the very worst of racism, and I've seen 'the race card' played in situations that were just plain silly. I've learned to 'pick and choose' my causes.

I've been to many countries (Navy plus Merchant Marine service) and seen societies where 'ethnicity' was everything. It was interesting, but I had no desire to ever live like that.(I still don't). I've been to places that never HAD the opportunities this country is so eager to 'throw away'. We're worried about someone 'not liking our accent'...but I've seen places where people are happy to EAT semi-regularly. You quickly see who's got 'problems' and who has 'hurt feelings'.

I've seen illegal immigrants happy to be here, glad to be out of Mexico, and accepted by society. I've lived for years among people who arrived from Mexico in former times, who had absolutely NO illusions about 'where they wanted to be' (hint: it was HERE).

I've also been married for decades to someone identical in race to most illegals. I've seen discrimination and racism....and I've seen silly, bad-mannered redneck people whose opinion means nothing to me, and who are one of our biggest sources of private 'laughs'. I've learned to 'pick my battles'.

I've also seen America 'wilt' under a barrage of nonsense regarding illegal immigration, to the point it's just about impossible to discuss it anymore, so great is the 'guilt' factor. My wife can only shake her head in wonder at this 'white guilt'....glad she doesn't share it. And I agree with her.

I guess we're just of two different generations. I just have a longer perspective than you do.

To you, "True Discrimination" is "open discrimination". Its only real if its in your face and you see it.
"This is nothing! In our time.." arguments don't mean much, and they don't erase the problems that exist.
Different kinds of problems are still problems. But its easy to say everythings okay, and blame it on ethnicity.

I'm sure you do your best to provide for your children, try to move to the "nice part of town" so they can have decent schools, live in a safe neighborhood.
Why is that? Surely, its not in your culture to join gangs, drop out of school, end up in prison, etc.
You should save a fortune in house payments and move into South Central, Pico Union or East LA.
Your kids would definitely stick on a straight path growing up there, because their culture doesnt approve of that stuff.

Or do you prefer they don't live in neighborhoods to see stuff like this?
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/homi...nesday-af.html
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/homi...dnt-deser.html

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/homicidereport/

Ah, theres no "real problems" though. Its all their own fault. Those people in poor minority neighborhoods are a bunch of crybabies.
In the 50s, people used to yell slurs at each other! No political correctness!
Minorities are on easy street now.

Old 07-28-2008, 07:47 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,523,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
To you, "True Discrimination" is "open discrimination". Its only real if its in your face and you see it.
"This is nothing! In our time.." arguments don't mean much, and they don't erase the problems that exist.
Different kinds of problems are still problems. But its easy to say everythings okay, and blame it on ethnicity.
/[/url]

I don't think you'll find any of my endless posts blaming anything on anyone's ethnicity.(Didn't you and I get into it several times over my distrust of 'ethnic pride'? I'm SURE it was you.).. In fact, I've repeatedly said quite the opposite...I'm always harping on 'culture'. Cultures are different...they emphasize different things, and downplay different things. Some cultures 'look forward', other cultures look back. Some push their members to succeed, while other cultures hold their members back.

But you don't need to hear me whine....after all, who cares about all THAT silly stuff, anyway?. As usual, I defer to your superior powers of reason and logic. Forgive me..I guess I'll just never learn. Once again, you win. Round 115 goes to you....(in fact, as I recall, just about EVERY round has gone to you...you've beaten ALL challengers). Congratulations.....I give up.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:49 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,036,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Not a mystery at all. There's no scientific evidence of any 'superior humans'..and if there WAS, it would probably turn out to be Asians, not whites....Asians seem to be on the highest 'track to success' as far as respect for education, staying out of trouble, etc.

But you and I know there's REALLY no 'superior humans', don't we? What there are, is humans who make the effort and exert the self-discipline needed to 'stay on the straight and narrow' and to succeed....even if it means spending time IN the library, and OFF the skateboard.(shudder)

Maybe they just 'got a good set of parents'....maybe they're 'just lucky'. Maybe (please don't be shocked)...their culture contains a certain capacity for "SHAME", and maybe this means that 'acting bad' and 'living sloppy' brings one serious peer-disapproval...and maybe people NEED this type of shame in their lives. (Don't quote me on that) But I suspect most of it is plain focus and hard work.
Even that I doubt-------oceans have a strong tendency to separate the 'wheat from the chaff'; shall we say.

If Mexico were a bunch of islands 5,000 miles away and China was next door-------trust me; we would not be grumbling about Latinos 'jumping the fence' and being trouble. And; those few Mexicans who made it here from overseas would tend to have a major 'can do' attitude.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:32 PM

15 posts, read 17,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
im glad they caught these guys and i hope they spend the rest of their lives in jail. death would be too kind. to beat someone to death? even to knock them out causing a fall resulting in death? barbaric. we dont need people like this in this on our streets.

I agree, legal or illegal no one should treat annother human this way. Most illegal imigrants are only comming to help their family. Of course there are acceptions, but that is the main cause.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:55 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,036,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgconroy View Post
I agree, legal or illegal no one should treat annother human this way. Most illegal imigrants are only comming to help their family. Of course there are acceptions, but that is the main cause.
Those illegals can go help their families back home.

The USA is hurting bad financially and we do not need those leeches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration