Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 12:08 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Excellent post, and I would rep you if I could.

The fact is that the US has caused many hurts to the ancestors to its citizens. Hopefully, we are addressing those hurts and are beginning to heal from them. But to compare the experiences of illegal immigrants to the American black experience is just....ridiculous. They may as well try to compare a raid on a Hormel plant to the Wounded Knee massacre.
Thanks! Tremendous progress has been made in this country, and I am one black who does not hold ANY animosity. There is not one individual alive today in this country who is culpable for slavery. Although there are some who still hold these despicable racist views of blacks, they are slowly dying off.

It angers me to even have to refer to slavery and past mistreatment of blacks to prove a point. But this was too outrageous to ignore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 12:11 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,634,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
You guys think that the American Man, and the Mexican immigrant were treated as equals, always. Never treated less at no point in history. Perhaps I need to whip out some history reading for that will clear up all the ignorances.

OK, so you are talking about what point in history? Are you talking about the times of the Potato Famine when NINA signs were all the rage in NYC? Or perhaps the chaingangs known as working for the railroad that the Chinese endured while making the transcontinental railroad? Because I hate to break it to you, but the modern illegal immigrant has it pretty damn good compared to the lives of slaves and legal immigrants that came before them. In fact, I do consider it just plain silly to try to compare the two.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:14 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,428 times
Quote:
You guys think that the American Man, and the Mexican immigrant were treated as equals, always. Never treated less at no point in history. Perhaps I need to whip out some history reading for that will clear up all the ignorances.

Where's the beef?......

I would love to to read how illegal immigrants where treated as badly as blacks were in the past.

And you are still trying to mix all Mexican immigrants together. Do not disrespect the legal Mexican immigrants by grouping them is the illegal ones.

And since when have law breakers ever been treated the same as law abiding people? And even for law breaker they are tread pretty well.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:17 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
OK, so you are talking about what point in history? Are you talking about the times of the Potato Famine when NINA signs were all the rage in NYC? Or perhaps the chaingangs known as working for the railroad that the Chinese endured while making the transcontinental railroad? Because I hate to break it to you, but the modern illegal immigrant has it pretty damn good compared to the lives of slaves and legal immigrants that came before them. In fact, I do consider it just plain silly to try to compare the two.
Please read my post again, I specifically enquired about the times after slavery. Back before the Jim Crow laws were deemed unconstitutional, and then some. I was regarding my post to the inhumanities faced by Mexicans, both illegal and illegal on par to the Black people. As in we could not drink from White water fountains, we could not enter certain places, exploitation e.t.c.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
No one has stated that Mexicans, legal or illegal have not experienced discrimination in this country. However, the discussion is related to illegal alien Mexicans.

I challenge you to produce reputable evidence of illegal alien Mexicans receiving treatment comparable to that of the hundreds of years of slavery and oppression experienced by blacks.

There is no comparison, and it’s an affront to me as a black person for you to marginalize the suffering of my ancestors by equating the coddling of illegal aliens in this country to those atrocities.

Old 07-28-2008, 12:22 PM

There everyone goes off again, never reading, but assuming. Taking those assumptions, skewing them making the person who has gone against their beliefs, regarding people Un-American or the hater of American people. Seems to be the recurring role with these forums.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:07 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times
Quote:
Perhaps you need to show us pictures of Mexicans in chains, starving to death on ships or being beaten by a White American Massa. Only then will your ludicrous, delusional comparisons gain any form of credibility.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Perhaps you need to show us pictures of Mexicans in chains, starving to death on ships or being beaten by a White American Massa. Only then will your ludicrous, delusional comparisons gain any form of credibility.
I'm being attacked because I said that Mexicans have a long history of being discriminated against. Jebus, why!?!?!

Old 07-28-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I'm being attacked because I said that Mexicans have a long history of being discriminated against. Jebus, why!?!?!
That is NOT what you said. Go back and read your posts. Clue: It was related to a comparison between Blacks and Mexicans.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:25 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times
Quote:
Someone demanding accountability for statements you make = being attacked? What gives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration