Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2008, 01:51 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,152,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Three white teens were charged Friday in what officials said was an epithet-filled fatal beating of a Mexican immigrant in a small northeastern Pennsylvania coal town. Brandon J. Piekarsky, 16, and Colin J. Walsh, 17, were charged as adults with homicide and ethnic intimidation in the death of Luis Ramirez. Derrick M. Donchak, 18, was charged with aggravated assault and ethnic intimidation.
3 Pa. teens charged in fatal attack on immigrant - Inside Bay Area (http://www.insidebayarea.com/search/ci_9996051?IADID=Search-www.insidebayarea.com-www.insidebayarea.com - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 03:10 PM

105 posts, read 228,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
3 Pa. teens charged in fatal attack on immigrant - Inside Bay Area (http://www.insidebayarea.com/search/ci_9996051?IADID=Search-www.insidebayarea.com-www.insidebayarea.com - broken link)
My main problem with this incident is that nowhere in the article does it say that the persons who killed Mr. Ramirez knew for a fact whether he was an illegal immigrant or not. If that is the case, then the epithets they hurled at Mr. Ramirez were said out of dislike/hatred for Mr. Ramirez's ethnicity and not because of any knowledge of his immigrant status. That type of behavior stinks and should be condemned.

Now granted, they could assume Mr. Ramirez is illegal. But then, their rationale would have to be that he's an illegal simply because he might look different or speak with an accent. And if they're going to start making those assumptions, then they can just as easily target persons born in this country (and I don't mean anchor babies) or those here legally who might happen to look different or speak with an accent. That kind of behavior is crap also.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny1031 View Post
My main problem with this incident is that nowhere in the article does it say that the persons who killed Mr. Ramirez knew for a fact whether he was an illegal immigrant or not. If that is the case, then the epithets they hurled at Mr. Ramirez were said out of dislike/hatred for Mr. Ramirez's ethnicity and not because of any knowledge of his immigrant status. That type of behavior stinks and should be condemned.

Now granted, they could assume Mr. Ramirez is illegal. But then, their rationale would have to be that he's an illegal simply because he might look different or speak with an accent. And if they're going to start making those assumptions, then they can just as easily target persons born in this country (and I don't mean anchor babies) or those here legally who might happen to look different or speak with an accent. That kind of behavior is crap also.
This is the immigration section, all posts don't have to relate to illegal immigration. Secondly, its not because he was an immigrant, because the color of his skin and his appearance, this occurred.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:18 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,040,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
This is the immigration section, all posts don't have to relate to illegal immigration. Secondly, its not because he was an immigrant, because the color of his skin and his appearance, this occurred.
At least the authorities are releasing the names of the perps.

For the record: I have met Mexicans (legal or illegal I am not sure, probably the former) who have no obvious indigenous heritage and 'Anglo' surnames---------they flat admitted that they had no problems here in the USA.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:35 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,637,460 times
im glad they caught these guys and i hope they spend the rest of their lives in jail. death would be too kind. to beat someone to death? even to knock them out causing a fall resulting in death? barbaric. we dont need people like this in this on our streets.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:38 PM

219 posts, read 424,373 times
Happens all the time white on white, black on black, white on black, you get the idea, but the only time it makes headlines when it's a poor illegal immigrant. This behavior shouldn't be tolerated at all, but it should not be reported selectively.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
At least the authorities are releasing the names of the perps.

For the record: I have met Mexicans (legal or illegal I am not sure, probably the former) who have no obvious indigenous heritage and 'Anglo' surnames---------they flat admitted that they had no problems here in the USA.
I'm also wondering why they mentioned their names since they were under the age of 18.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:46 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,731,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGrrrrrl View Post
Happens all the time white on white, black on black, white on black, you get the idea, but the only time it makes headlines when it's a poor illegal immigrant. This behavior shouldn't be tolerated at all, but it should not be reported selectively.
I am sure you are okay with all the other news articles posted by others of every single crime an illegal immigrant commits.

Old 07-25-2008, 03:49 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,587,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
I am sure you are okay with all the other news articles posted by others of every single crime an illegal immigrant commits.
I don't think the posting of "every single crime an illegal immigrant commits" is even possible, is it? So many of them go totally unreported in TODAY'S media...

Old 07-25-2008, 04:37 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,584,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGrrrrrl View Post
BS....how about the blacks kids beating up on the white kids in Louisiana? In Jena or something like that...and they tried to charge the blacks with attempted murder at that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration