U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:52 PM

20,310 posts, read 18,956,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
How would you suppose insurance companies check the status of their customers?

It is none of thier business what my status is. All they need to know is what car I drive, my license info and my driving record.
Actually if your status is illegal, undocumented then it is every legal citizens business. You may be carrying disease. You damn sure are not paying your fair share in taxes, that is unless you have stolen someones identity in which case you are not only an illegal alien but a thief as well.
An insurance company by providing coverage for you is entitled to know your status. You after all are making them a partner in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 08:12 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,919,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
How would the insurance companies even know if someone is illegal? A little check box? And how does someone's status determine their driving record? Once agin, you are promoting dicrimination based on sterotypes, something that insurance companies have for too long been getting away with.

Because life insurance policies deal directly with a person's health. In no way does immigration status have anything to do with a person's ability to drive.

And once again, how will the insurance companies ever be able to know the status of a person and why is it any of their business what a person's status is? Insurance companies are offering a service, they have no business asking me what my status is no more than the guy I buy stuff from walmart or the place I get my oil changed.
It's not rocket science. It's very easy to spot fake documents. While many may consider it profiling, if the person speaks or reads little to no English, that's also a pretty good sign that they are here illegally. That being said, you cannot compare an oil change or purchase at Walmart to something as personally intense as applying for an insurance policy or a job.

I remember a time in this country that all you had to do was fill out an application and show a drivers' license and SS card as proof of who you are.

Now? If you go to any legitimate business in the US the application process is extensive. They want to know your last 3 addresses, your DOB, whether or not you are an illegal, your SSN, DL#, whether or not you have been convicted of a crime, any prior arrests, if you've ever been incarcerated and what for. After all of that they want you to sign a release for a background check, all 3 credit reports and fingerprinting.

Like Random said they have a right to ask you anything they want and you have a right to decline to answer at which point they will show you the exit sign.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:15 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,919,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Actually if your status is illegal, undocumented then it is every legal citizens business. You may be carrying disease. You damn sure are not paying your fair share in taxes, that is unless you have stolen someones identity in which case you are not only an illegal alien but a thief as well.
An insurance company by providing coverage for you is entitled to know your status. You after all are making them a partner in your life.

Excellent points and ITA!

Old 07-26-2008, 08:30 PM

307 posts, read 459,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Ok, you may have "disproved" my point about them not purchasing, but it still leaves my other point about accepting them. Offering them anything, but a ticket home, accepts them in our country.
Accepting them? They can already get in nearly every state; Life insurance, Home insurance Renters insurance, Library cards, Out of state College admission, Bus tickets, Hospital care, and so forth, all totally legally. And you honestly think allowing them to PAY FOR auto insurance that can protect an innocent AMERICAN is going to mean we accept them?!? Please, as with everything it's a matter of weighing the benefits vs. cost.

Benefit. They put money into the system and pay for their own medical care and that of any one they hit thus not burdening YOU and ME with even MORE costs.

Cost. They get an almost miniscule added degree of "acceptance" as you put it.

If you feel that that taking away that miniscule amount of acceptance is worth AMERICAN CITIZENS being left without needed medical aid, that’s fine.

I feel other wise.

Random

Old 07-26-2008, 08:31 PM

2,344 posts, read 3,815,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post

Really? You are going to come and knock on my door and ask me for my documents? Perhaps check points everywhere for the authorities to ask for papers? And what papers would those be?

No, insurance companies need to know what car you drive, your license number and your driving record, anything else is none of their business. Smeone being a citizen or legal immigrant does not make them automatically a better driver.

To me its not even about having illegals get insurance, to me its invasion of my privacy.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:38 PM

2,344 posts, read 3,815,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
It's not rocket science. It's very easy to spot fake documents. While many may consider it profiling, if the person speaks or reads little to no English, that's also a pretty good sign that they are here illegally. That being said, you cannot compare an oil change or purchase at Walmart to something as personally intense as applying for an insurance policy or a job.
Not rocket science? Show me the 100% national citizen database in this country that positively indentifies everyone as a citizen or not. Speaking or reading English is not a sign if a person here is legal or not, there are many legal immigrants here that have little knowledge of English.

And yes, I can compare to an oil change or walmart as an insurance company is a private owned business who needs to know nothing about me other than what is required in the conducting of business, in which please someone show me what immigration status has to do with how well someone can drive.

Quote:
I remember a time in this country that all you had to do was fill out an application and show a drivers' license and SS card as proof of who you are.
Yet everyone loves talking about the "good ole days". Perhaps the slippery slope of privacy keeps getting more slippery?

Quote:
Now? If you go to any legitimate business in the US the application process is extensive. They want to know your last 3 addresses, your DOB, whether or not you are an illegal, your SSN, DL#, whether or not you have been convicted of a crime, any prior arrests, if you've ever been incarcerated and what for. After all of that they want you to sign a release for a background check, all 3 credit reports and fingerprinting.
Yes, the application process is extensive, it needs to be for a place to hire, but it is not 100%. And again, that example is for getting hired, not for soliciting services.

Quote:
Like Random said they have a right to ask you anything they want and you have a right to decline to answer at which point they will show you the exit sign.
So where is the line? Or you think there is no line on how much a company should know about your personal life even though that information has nothing to do with the business at hand?

It seems you are one of those that view freedom as the right to be biased against others.

Old 07-26-2008, 08:40 PM

307 posts, read 459,255 times
Then you seem to agree, from what is stated below, that there are some illegals who fall into the categories where they would make use of the insurance. If that is the case then you have also agreed that AMERICANS hit in accidents by said IA's would benefit from it.

I have already showed how the little person would benefit. Saying that only the big companies would benefit is false.

And if as you seem to be trying to also say, "ILLEGALS WON'T BUY IT", then the insurance companies make nothing. In which case it's a non issue.

A DIRECT QUESTION TO YOU. WHICH DO YOU CONTEND.
1) IA's WON'T BUY THE INSURANCE?
2) IA'S WILL BUY IT?

You can't have it both ways. What ever you answer I will respond.

BRING IT ON, BIATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Opps....broke my exclamation key.

Quote:
Yes I have, One of my friends smokes pot, He is criminal. Aside from that he is an upstanding person who takes care of the elderly and disabled, will give money to the poor, and is an all around great guy.

1. Okay maybe I should have rephrased that, because smoking pot means your friend doesn't mind the risk of killing himself. This topic involves the lives of innocent, unwilling victims. That being said, to call someone an honest illegal alien is in and of itself a redundant impossibility.

Many do. Others use the same ID and have set themselves up as a single person who could be insured except for lacking a Drivers License.

2. Many does not equal all. Keep in mind there are at least 20 million of them here, living in the shadows. Very few are willing to admit they are even here illegally therefore the odds are both their license and insurance have been received under ficticious circumstances.

Many can read and write English. A few better then I.

3. There you go again . . . it's obviously a very few, otherwise everything in this country would not have been converted to English/Spanish. Prior to the invasion, other than printed government forms, everything ELSE was in ENGLISH ONLY.

That still leaves the 95% who are in an accident in their home town.

4. Again, you are making assumptions in terms of the 95%. Odds are if they have a drivers license (and for the sake of argument all 95% have insurance) it will embolden them to travel much farther distances than someone afraid of being caught without either form of identification. I would even go so far as to say they would make regular trips between the US and Mexico.

Either the insurance is meaningless or it HELPS us. Both are fine by me.

Wrong again, in the end just like everything else that has occurred as a result of this invasion it will only help BIG BUSINESS, namely Progressive Insurance. Everybody else (including the illegal alien) will lose.

I'll be waiting patiently for your reply and next time BRING IT . . and I'm talking about your biggest guns.

Last edited by RandomU; 07-26-2008 at 09:20 PM..

Old 07-26-2008, 09:04 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,804,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomU View Post
Then you seem to agree from what is stated below that there are some illegals who fall into the categories where they would make use of the insurance. If that is the case then you have also agreed that AMERICANS hit by said IA's would benefit from it.

I have already showed how the little person would benefit. Saying that only the big companies would benefit is false.

And if as you seem to be trying to also say "ILLEGALS WON'T BUY IT" then the insurance companies make nothing. It's non issue.

A DIRECT QUESTION TO YOU. WHICH DO YOU CONTEND.
1) IA's WON'T BUY THE INSURANCE?
2) IA'S WILL BUY IT?

You can't have it both ways. What ever you answer I will respond.

BRING IT ON, BIATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Opps....broke my exclamation key.
It's simple, they shouldn't be in this country so they shouldn't be allowed to buy it. That is my one and ONLY illogical argument i have.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:24 AM

3,082 posts, read 3,351,815 times
Insurance companies now pull credit reports before they insure you. The data there, to an insurance company, is an indicator of whether or not you would be a good risk. I wonder if a person's status would be shown there. Perhaps the lack of "history" would be an indicator.

Old 07-27-2008, 07:25 AM

25,370 posts, read 37,677,683 times
Build a huge wall around this country and don't let them in or have them pay for stuff. As a person legally here and be a foreigner it is also very frustrating that we had to pay so much to get here, stay here and had a hard time getting all things like credit cards, insurance, had to go to the DMV every year, before 9/11 we got the license for 7 years and than well they decided to cut it up every year and you have to go there every year some other have to go every 43 month and pay over and over.
I understand that this is a hard subject and there are good things to say for both sides but why do we have to proof everything if illegals get it without having proof who they are or they might even be criminals, well they all are since entering illegal is illegal as the word says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or