U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2008, 09:18 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
I didn't have to look up the word 'vendido', I posted that so everyone ELSE on this board would see what it means. I don't live in a 'Hispanic' neighborhood and never have. My family has been here for generations and I am PROUDLY assimilated AS AN AMERICAN. I was raised to believe that following the law was the most righteous thing that a man can do.

Think what you will, but I don't buy into the 'ethnicity over citizenship' mindset that seems to be so prevalent from you and others on this board. That's why I stick around here, I'm a counter-point to the tripe you pro-illegals post.

I guess that makes me a coconut, huh?
Sorry, Mach50, but I have to go along with GuyP on this. To me its as obvious as the Law of Gravity....too much emphasis on ethnic pride and ethnic 'uniqueness', at the expense of a sense of 'commonality', in an extremely diverse and multi-racial society, is pretty clearly a recipe for disaster at some point. It may work for a time...but when 'things get rough', watch out.

Remember, when YOU are feeling 'Hispanic', looking out for the rights of Hispanics, making sure Hispanics get their fair share of respect, seeing to it that Hispanics get the recognition they deserve as a unique, one-of-a-kind culture, (which in your eyes is the 'best' culture), at the same time, the United States contains several dozen (at least) OTHER cultures which AREN'T Hispanic....each of which is unique, 'special', worthy of getting its 'fair share', and not wanting to have to 'step aside' for anyone else. At the same time you're 'looking out for Hispanics', by definition, you're NOT looking out for blacks, for Arabs, for Filipinos, for Norwegians, Italians, or Czechs. Apparently you expect all these people to 'look out for themselves'...right? And of course, when all these groups are looking out for 'their' interests, you're OK with the fact that they WOULDN'T be looking out for Hispanics...right?

The ONLY way this could possibly work is if the "other" cultures all got together and allowed Hispanics to feel 'different' and special, while they themselves (all the non-Hispanics) agreed to 'act more adult', and to downplay their own differences. Then, and only then, it just MIGHT work...but that wouldn't really be fair, would it?

The OTHER scenario..the "fair" one...would have EVERY culture feeling that IT and its members were 'unique' and deserved special consideration. That might be 'fair'..but it wouldn't last too long, IMHO. Just ask the folks in Bosnia about that situation.

If you're going to have a diverse, multiethnic, multiracial society, and if you're going to live in relative peace, prosperity, and freedom, you just can't 'beat the drum' of cultural identity and ethnic pride very loudly. There are just too many 'others' out there, for that to ever be fair.

So GuyPinestra has 'forgotten his roots' and 'lost his heritage'? Well, congratulations to him! Sounds to me like he's adopted his NEW heritage, one his distant ancestors never knew...the heritage of being, and of regarding himself as, an American. There are several hundred million other Americans who've done much the same thing. Otherwise, "America", as a concept, just wouldn't work...just as you, youself, as a veteran, know very well that "the military", as a concept, would not work, if all members held onto their 'civilian ways' and their 'civilian habits' and their 'civilian clothing'. Doesn't mean that military personnel 'hate' their civilian relatives at all...or that they've 'forgotten' civilian life,....but it DOES mean that if you're going to be "in" the military, you're going to have to "become" military. Otherwise the system collapses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 09:22 AM
Status: "Make America the Great Joke Again" (set 23 days ago)

9,059 posts, read 15,467,286 times
I think it is great to assimilate, and I do believe you can be Hispanic and American, just as someone can be African and American or Asian and American. By the way I would look out for anyone I think is being treated unfairly, I don't see the forum for complaining about Norwegians or Italians, show that to me and I will be there.

Just look at the title of this thread: " Are Latinos a threat to the U.S." where is the equivalent Norwegian thread? I think their yodeling is a threat!!!

What Guy does is draw ignorance and feed it with some of his posts, that's not only forgetting your roots, that is anti-Hispanic. Perhaps he is a self-hating hispanic, I know a few, but coupled with his lack of overall knowledge and his constant proclaiming that he is Hispanic gives me my doubts.

Last edited by Mach50; 08-01-2008 at 09:31 AM..

Old 08-01-2008, 09:49 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Why someone who is Hispanic would post in a manner as to draw more hatred to yourself, your family and other Hispanics is beyond natural logic. The latest Child Predator thread showed you have no real cares about the hispanic people being assumed as illegals, since you assumed it yourself.

I am too mature to call people names like Coconut, I will just tell you what I think, and I think you are either not hispanic, have very little blood in you and have been filtered down enough to not care about your heritage at all. I am betting on the first option.
It's really not much of an assumption here in Phoenix, there's so many illegals here. I work with them on a daily basis, and on jobsites the percentages are overwhelmingly high. Actually, it's not much of an assumption ANYWHERE in the US, we both know there's a lot more than 12 million.

As for my 'blood' and 'heritage', you illustrate my point PERFECTLY. To you, blood and heritage are paramount to your identity. You've been taught that you're Mexican FIRST, then American, as long as the American part doesn't get in the way of being Mexican. I was raised entirely opposite, and I thank God that I was. Maybe it was because I WASN'T raised in the barrio, that my family was middle-class, that I don't share the same kind of outlook that you have, I don't know.

I spoke Spanish when I was a child, but when I started school I was told to stop, that English was the ONLY language that I should speak. Consequently, I retain very little ability to converse in that language. Was it right? I don't know, times were different back in the 60's.

I guess there's a lot of things I don't know, but one thing I do know is that choosing ethnicity over citizenship is a surefire way to create even MORE animosity towards Hispanics, and the result of that will be catastrophic for ALL of us.

Old 08-01-2008, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Sorry, Mach50, but I have to go along with GuyP on this. To me its as obvious as the Law of Gravity....too much emphasis on ethnic pride and ethnic 'uniqueness', at the expense of a sense of 'commonality', in an extremely diverse and multi-racial society, is pretty clearly a recipe for disaster at some point. It may work for a time...but when 'things get rough', watch out.

Remember, when YOU are feeling 'Hispanic', looking out for the rights of Hispanics, making sure Hispanics get their fair share of respect, seeing to it that Hispanics get the recognition they deserve as a unique, one-of-a-kind culture, (which in your eyes is the 'best' culture), at the same time, the United States contains several dozen (at least) OTHER cultures which AREN'T Hispanic....each of which is unique, 'special', worthy of getting its 'fair share', and not wanting to have to 'step aside' for anyone else. At the same time you're 'looking out for Hispanics', by definition, you're NOT looking out for blacks, for Arabs, for Filipinos, for Norwegians, Italians, or Czechs. Apparently you expect all these people to 'look out for themselves'...right? And of course, when all these groups are looking out for 'their' interests, you're OK with the fact that they WOULDN'T be looking out for Hispanics...right?

The ONLY way this could possibly work is if the "other" cultures all got together and allowed Hispanics to feel 'different' and special, while they themselves (all the non-Hispanics) agreed to 'act more adult', and to downplay their own differences. Then, and only then, it just MIGHT work...but that wouldn't really be fair, would it?

The OTHER scenario..the "fair" one...would have EVERY culture feeling that IT and its members were 'unique' and deserved special consideration. That might be 'fair'..but it wouldn't last too long, IMHO. Just ask the folks in Bosnia about that situation.

If you're going to have a diverse, multiethnic, multiracial society, and if you're going to live in relative peace, prosperity, and freedom, you just can't 'beat the drum' of cultural identity and ethnic pride very loudly. There are just too many 'others' out there, for that to ever be fair.

So GuyPinestra has 'forgotten his roots' and 'lost his heritage'? Well, congratulations to him! Sounds to me like he's adopted his NEW heritage, one his distant ancestors never knew...the heritage of being, and of regarding himself as, an American. There are several hundred million other Americans who've done much the same thing. Otherwise, "America", as a concept, just wouldn't work...just as you, youself, as a veteran, know very well that "the military", as a concept, would not work, if all members held onto their 'civilian ways' and their 'civilian habits' and their 'civilian clothing'. Doesn't mean that military personnel 'hate' their civilian relatives at all...or that they've 'forgotten' civilian life,....but it DOES mean that if you're going to be "in" the military, you're going to have to "become" military. Otherwise the system collapses.
Well said, mac, and thanks for 'getting it' so clearly!

Old 08-01-2008, 10:33 AM

3,712 posts, read 5,709,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
I think it is great to assimilate, and I do believe you can be Hispanic and American, just as someone can be African and American or Asian and American. By the way I would look out for anyone I think is being treated unfairly, I don't see the forum for complaining about Norwegians or Italians, show that to me and I will be there.

Just look at the title of this thread: " Are Latinos a threat to the U.S." where is the equivalent Norwegian thread? I think their yodeling is a threat!!!

What Guy does is draw ignorance and feed it with some of his posts, that's not only forgetting your roots, that is anti-Hispanic. Perhaps he is a self-hating hispanic, I know a few, but coupled with his lack of overall knowledge and his constant proclaiming that he is Hispanic gives me my doubts.

What? Norwegians don't yodel- that's the Swiss. But feel free to start a thread about the threats Norwegians pose if you wish.

Norwegian joke:

Quote:
Olaf & Sven were fishing one day when Sven pulled out a cigar Finding he had no matches, he asked Olaf for a light.
"Ya, shure, I tink I haff a lighter," he replied. Then reaching into his tackle box, he pulled out a Bic lighter 10 inches long.
"Yiminy Cricket!" exclaimed Sven, taking the huge Bic lighter in his hands "Vhere dit yew git dat monster??"
"Vell," replied Olaf, "I got it from me Genie."
"You haff a genie in yor tackle box?" Sven asked.
"Ya, shure It's right here in my tackle box," says Olaf.
"Could I see him?"
So Olaf opens his tackle box & sure enough, out pops the genie. Addressing the genie, Sven says, "Hey dere! I'm a good friend of your master. Vill you grant me vun vish?"
"Yes, I will," says the genie.
So Sven asks the genie for a million bucks. The genie disappears back into the tackle box leaving Sven sitting there, waiting for his million bucks.
Shortly, the sky darkens & is filled with the sound of a million ducks... flying overhead.
Over the roar of the million ducks Sven yells at Olaf. "Yumpin' Yimminy I asked for a million bucks, not a million ducks!"
Olaf answers, "Ya, I forgot to tell yew dat da genie is hart of hearing. Do yew really tink I asked for a 10-inch Bic?"

Old 08-01-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
what? Norwegians don't yodel- that's the swiss. But feel free to start a thread about the threats norwegians pose if you wish.

Norwegian joke:

Olaf & sven were fishing one day when sven pulled out a cigar finding he had no matches, he asked olaf for a light.
"ya, shure, i tink i haff a lighter," he replied. Then reaching into his tackle box, he pulled out a bic lighter 10 inches long.
"yiminy cricket!" exclaimed sven, taking the huge bic lighter in his hands "vhere dit yew git dat monster??"
"vell," replied olaf, "i got it from me genie."
"you haff a genie in yor tackle box?" sven asked.
"ya, shure it's right here in my tackle box," says olaf.
"could i see him?"
so olaf opens his tackle box & sure enough, out pops the genie. Addressing the genie, sven says, "hey dere! I'm a good friend of your master. Vill you grant me vun vish?"
"yes, i will," says the genie.
So sven asks the genie for a million bucks. The genie disappears back into the tackle box leaving sven sitting there, waiting for his million bucks.
Shortly, the sky darkens & is filled with the sound of a million ducks... Flying overhead.
Over the roar of the million ducks sven yells at olaf. "yumpin' yimminy i asked for a million bucks, not a million ducks!"
olaf answers, "ya, i forgot to tell yew dat da genie is hart of hearing. Do yew really tink i asked for a 10-inch bic?"
Now THAT'S funny!

Old 08-01-2008, 11:57 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,612,395 times
Quote:
Now THAT'S funny!
Yah, Miss Andrea....t'anks for da yoke !!....I almost swallowed my 'snoose'...

Old 08-01-2008, 12:27 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
What? Norwegians don't yodel- that's the Swiss. But feel free to start a thread about the threats Norwegians pose if you wish.

Norwegian joke:Norwegian joke:

Olaf & Sven were fishing one day when Sven pulled out a cigar Finding he had no matches, he asked Olaf for a light.
"Ya, shure, I tink I haff a lighter," he replied. Then reaching into his tackle box, he pulled out a Bic lighter 10 inches long.
"Yiminy Cricket!" exclaimed Sven, taking the huge Bic lighter in his hands "Vhere dit yew git dat monster??"
"Vell," replied Olaf, "I got it from me Genie."
"You haff a genie in yor tackle box?" Sven asked.
"Ya, shure It's right here in my tackle box," says Olaf.
"Could I see him?"
So Olaf opens his tackle box & sure enough, out pops the genie. Addressing the genie, Sven says, "Hey dere! I'm a good friend of your master. Vill you grant me vun vish?"
"Yes, I will," says the genie.
So Sven asks the genie for a million bucks. The genie disappears back into the tackle box leaving Sven sitting there, waiting for his million bucks.
Shortly, the sky darkens & is filled with the sound of a million ducks... flying overhead.
Over the roar of the million ducks Sven yells at Olaf. "Yumpin' Yimminy I asked for a million bucks, not a million ducks!"
Olaf answers, "Ya, I forgot to tell yew dat da genie is hart of hearing. Do yew really tink I asked for a 10-inch Bic?"

Old 08-01-2008, 12:40 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Quote:
That's right BK, I'm too much of a realist to be Hispanic, huh? I've been called all kinds of names on this board because my POV is 180 degrees different from yours, but guess what? I'm not going anywhere, and all the insults you and amc can throw at me won't change that fact.

I'm proud to be an American of Hispanic descent that isn't fooled by all the rhetoric from the race-based hustlers that have got you so snowed. If you want to protect legal Hispanics/Latinos in the US, you're going to HAVE TO come around to my way of thinking to do it.

End of story...
Youre entitled to be against illegal immigration. I mean, most of us KNOW there are some problems coming from it.
You can support Arpaio, locked borders, mass deportations, beatdowns of immigrants, whatever you want.
But sometimes you make some questionable comments. Like stuff that a real Latino would feel really offended by.
There's talking about the impact illegal immigration is having on the infrastructure, talking about Sanctuary City policies and stuff, but then theres outright criticizing Hispanics. Saying stuff like all Hispanics are lazy, ghetto, criminals.
I GUESS I can understand people who aren't Latino accidentally crossing that thin beween illegal immigrants and Latinos every now and then(or a whole lot!), but I can't understand someone who's Latino themselves doing that. You should know better, unless you don't really come in contact with your "raza". You should know theyre normal people with good and bad and all that.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
Youre entitled to be against illegal immigration. I mean, most of us KNOW there are some problems coming from it.
You can support Arpaio, locked borders, mass deportations, beatdowns of immigrants, whatever you want.
But sometimes you make some questionable comments. Like stuff that a real Latino would feel really offended by.
There's talking about the impact illegal immigration is having on the infrastructure, talking about Sanctuary City policies and stuff, but then theres outright criticizing Hispanics. Saying stuff like all Hispanics are lazy, ghetto, criminals.
I GUESS I can understand people who aren't Latino accidentally crossing that thin beween illegal immigrants and Latinos every now and then(or a whole lot!), but I can't understand someone who's Latino themselves doing that. You should know better, unless you don't really come in contact with your "raza". You should know theyre normal people with good and bad and all that.
I'd sure like to see where I've done that, amc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration