U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2008, 09:38 AM

8,973 posts, read 14,610,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Because for those in denial in terms of the negatives outweighing the positives about those of their race, RACE trumps everything.
...which is fine, of course, when THEY do it...but would NEVER work at all, if the REST of us felt that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 09:41 AM

7,020 posts, read 9,894,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
...which is fine, of course, when THEY do it...but would NEVER work at all, if the REST of us felt that way.
Therein lies the problem. It's fine if they do it in their own country but, they seem to need constant reminders that THIS IS AMERICA.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:16 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,993,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
Because for those in denial in terms of the negatives outweighing the positives about those of their race, RACE trumps everything.
For one thing, that post doesnt even make sense. And for another, more proof of your anti-mexican, anti-latino, and/or anti-hispanic sentiment.

"but..but..Mexicans and Latinos aren't a race!"

I don't go around crying about race and all that, but sometimes you guys just say the most vulgar things. And then have the audacity to say youre not being racist.

LOL at Macmeal co-signing this.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:30 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,957,665 times
"Latinos" are not a threat.

"Latinos" are as diverse a group as the term "North American."

But that's beside the point. Latino culture is fine... in Latin America, or in that watered down Americanized version all other cultures go through when settling in the USA.... but I can't imagine Latinization of the US is good for much. Refusal of certain "Latinos" to assimilate, or wanting the mainstream culture to accomodate them, however, IS a threat to the US... both economically, and in terms of threatening to balkanize the US.

And sorry folks, my daddy's "Latin" so I can pass judgment and you can't call me a racist!

Old 08-02-2008, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post
For one thing, that post doesnt even make sense. And for another, more proof of your anti-mexican, anti-latino, and/or anti-hispanic sentiment.

I don't go around crying about race and all that, but sometimes you guys just say the most vulgar things. And then have the audacity to say youre not being racist.

It makes perfect sense. Exhibit A: This post. You are whining and falsely accusing me of anti- mexican, anti-latino, and/or anti-hispanic sentiment.

I am fully aware Mexican is NOT a race, which is why I use the terms Mexican illegals/Mexican Nationals.

Some things bare repeating I will say it again: I am anti-illegal immigration. It would be nice if you would remember that and stop pretending that you know what I think or how I feel about legal hispanics. Even you should know there is a difference by now.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 08-02-2008 at 07:57 PM..

Old 08-02-2008, 07:22 PM

4,828 posts, read 6,789,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
"Latinos" are not a threat.

"Latinos" are as diverse a group as the term "North American."

But that's beside the point. Latino culture is fine... in Latin America, or in that watered down Americanized version all other cultures go through when settling in the USA.... but I can't imagine Latinization of the US is good for much. Refusal of certain "Latinos" to assimilate, or wanting the mainstream culture to accomodate them, however, IS a threat to the US... both economically, and in terms of threatening to balkanize the US.

And sorry folks, my daddy's "Latin" so I can pass judgment and you can't call me a racist!
How many of those latinos are there in the U.S right now? I have seen posters on here point to fringe extreme aztlan groups and claim most latinos think that way.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc760 View Post

I wasn't aware of co-signing anything. I thought my position was clear. Could be that I've been 'led astray', but my position hasn't changed. As before, 'ethnic pride' and 'ethnic solidarity' work in direct conflict with a sense of 'nationhood'....and when the 'pride' gets in the way of clear thinking, the whole society suffers...and what I BELIEVE you're referring to, is the point I tried to make..that if ONE group insists on 'wearing their ethnicity on their sleeve', and 'waving the flag of ethnic pride'...we MAY be able as a society to cope with it...but ONLY because most of the other groups do NOT act that way. If ALL of us pushed our ethnicity, and judged each other by those terms, we'd soon disintegrate.

That was my point....I don't see it a 'co-signing' anything.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:36 PM

17,279 posts, read 24,957,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
How many of those latinos are there in the U.S right now? I have seen posters on here point to fringe extreme aztlan groups and claim most latinos think that way.
Did you note the qualifier of "certain" Latinos?

Maybe I'm a bit jaded, given my relative proximity to Miami, where the mayor declared that Miami was a Spanish speaking city and if one didn't like it, they could move.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
It may not be fair, but as long as Latinos emphasize their unique standing as a 'separate group', different from other Americans.....(and the 'emphasis' can be heavy, or not, according to their wishes)...and as long as this largely self-described 'special group' either CAN not....WILL not...or otherwise simply FAILS to....distance themselves from the huge problem of illegal immigration..then that 'special gruop' (Latinos) is goi9ng to be perceived by the non-Latinos around them as being 'at odds' with American society...Rightly or wrongly, that's going to be the perception....and Latinos have a choice in how they'll be regarded.

It has some parallels with the Muslim community. It may not be fair, but it's a fact that if the huge majority of "good" Muslims cannot find some way to disavow the suicidal terrorists among them, then society in general is always going to have doubts about 'which side they're on'. And even if the 'bad guys' are only a small minority, the silence of the 'good guys' is goingt to be seen as 'going along' with them, by failing to speak out against them.

Is it fair? No, not really. We should all be judged as individuals, in a perfect world, But in THIS world, when you make it known that you're a member of a group, especially when you go out of your way to emphasize that membership, then other people are going to judge YOU by the behavior of that group. If that's not OK, then it's on you to speak up, make yourself heard, and disavow the 'bad guys' in your group....or to de-emphasize your place in that 'group', and begin to look at yourself as just a 'member of society'. It's a personal choice.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
It may not be fair, but as long as Latinos emphasize their unique standing as a 'separate group', different from other Americans.....(and the 'emphasis' can be heavy, or not, according to their wishes)...and as long as this largely self-described 'special group' either CAN not....WILL not...or otherwise simply FAILS to....distance themselves from the huge problem of illegal immigration..then that 'special gruop' (Latinos) is goi9ng to be perceived by the non-Latinos around them as being 'at odds' with American society...Rightly or wrongly, that's going to be the perception....and Latinos have a choice in how they'll be regarded.

It has some parallels with the Muslim community. It may not be fair, but it's a fact that if the huge majority of "good" Muslims cannot find some way to disavow the suicidal terrorists among them, then society in general is always going to have doubts about 'which side they're on'. And even if the 'bad guys' are only a small minority, the silence of the 'good guys' is goingt to be seen as 'going along' with them, by failing to speak out against them.

Is it fair? No, not really. We should all be judged as individuals, in a perfect world, But in THIS world, when you make it known that you're a member of a group, especially when you go out of your way to emphasize that membership, then other people are going to judge YOU by the behavior of that group. If that's not OK, then it's on you to speak up, make yourself heard, and disavow the 'bad guys' in your group....or to de-emphasize your place in that 'group', and begin to look at yourself as just a 'member of society'. It's a personal choice.
Many who are legal residents marched with the illegals and waved Mexican flags during said marches here in Illinois and in other states. Adding insult to injury groups such as LaRaza, MeCha, LuLac and far too many hispanic "government officials" deliberately blur the lines and drown out the voices of the Legal hispanics (of which there are many) who are very angry with their deliberate deception.

Despite the fact that hispanic groups against illegal immigration like "You Don't Speak For Me", exist, those who put race above all else would have you to believe that all latinos are demanding amnesty and condone the invasion. It's the old power in numbers scam that nets racist groups such as LaRaza millions of our tax dollars for their cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration