U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-09-2008, 02:23 PM
 
Location: South Bay Native
13,050 posts, read 21,163,651 times
Reputation: 22525

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chey2u View Post
Sure Cali send up a banner. LOL Those other people will be happy to try and correct it. I yes YOU ARE AM AMERICAN others are ignorant
If in fact you are a teacher in the U.S. teaching Special Ed to students in K-12, this post alone makes my heart cry for Special Ed students. I yes YOU ARE AM totally serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-10-2008, 08:23 AM
 
Location: Mesa, Az
21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Reputation: 3785
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
If in fact you are a teacher in the U.S. teaching Special Ed to students in K-12, this post alone makes my heart cry for Special Ed students. I yes YOU ARE AM totally serious.
Judging by chey2u's command of the English language...........I do not believe that it is any variety of teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 08:30 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
If in fact you are a teacher in the U.S. teaching Special Ed to students in K-12, this post alone makes my heart cry for Special Ed students. I yes YOU ARE AM totally serious.
Mine too. However, I would have loved to rep you just for your comedic value. Unfortunately, gotta spread a little love before I am eligible again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Wethersfield, CT
1,268 posts, read 3,637,427 times
Reputation: 886
I'd like to add something.

I live in Hartford, CT, which has a heavy latino community. Years ago, a parent had a choice of enrolling their child in an English or Spanish class. Due to City budget cuts, that was changed about 10 years ago. All children must be enrolled in English speaking classes unless it's a special circumstance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 11:18 AM
 
1,398 posts, read 6,019,301 times
Reputation: 1788
Leilani, as the spouse of an elementary school teacher here in Los Angeles, in which roughly 70% of the pupils would be categorized as English as a second language, I am curious about school districts elsewhere. You are in a great position to enlighten me about other parts of the country.

I'm probably a lot older than you, and my age group in L.A. remembers how it used to work here. All of my friends or acquaintances who were born abroad speaking a foreign language claimed that they had one horrible year of adjusting in U.S. schools, and then they were fine. Immersion indisputably works well in elementary school education. This is the very age of brain development that best absorbs language skills.

Are the parents in Hartford pleased that their children now will get immersion education? How is it working, in your learned and seeing it firsthand opinion? Here in L.A., stubborn parents dispute their offspring taking classes in English (although it's now law) and the district provides myriad loopholes to circumvent English immersion. I can't help but think these children are suffering language skills setbacks as a result of their parents' limited understanding of the education process and brain development in children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 11:25 AM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,813,362 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Judging by chey2u's command of the English language...........I do not believe that it is any variety of teacher.
Nor does she have a Master's Degree, as claimed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 11:35 AM
 
7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Reputation: 1094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Nor does she have a Master's Degree, as claimed.

I beg to differ as evidenced by all of it's posts, when the illegal aliens started arriving in droves, I'm sure some institution decided it was necessary to fulfill the need in America and created college credits out of the necessity for those who deserved a masters degree in BS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Missouri
3,640 posts, read 4,309,484 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I beg to differ as evidenced by all of it's posts, when the illegal aliens started arriving in droves, I'm sure some institution decided it was necessary to fulfill the need in America and created college credits out of the necessity for those who deserved a masters degree in BS.
LOLOLOL Love it!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 01:34 PM
 
Location: Wethersfield, CT
1,268 posts, read 3,637,427 times
Reputation: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm View Post
Leilani, as the spouse of an elementary school teacher here in Los Angeles, in which roughly 70% of the pupils would be categorized as English as a second language, I am curious about school districts elsewhere. You are in a great position to enlighten me about other parts of the country.

I'm probably a lot older than you, and my age group in L.A. remembers how it used to work here. All of my friends or acquaintances who were born abroad speaking a foreign language claimed that they had one horrible year of adjusting in U.S. schools, and then they were fine. Immersion indisputably works well in elementary school education. This is the very age of brain development that best absorbs language skills.

Are the parents in Hartford pleased that their children now will get immersion education? How is it working, in your learned and seeing it firsthand opinion? Here in L.A., stubborn parents dispute their offspring taking classes in English (although it's now law) and the district provides myriad loopholes to circumvent English immersion. I can't help but think these children are suffering language skills setbacks as a result of their parents' limited understanding of the education process and brain development in children.
Certain schools do offer dual-language programs. It's my understanding that they're only offered to students who've been in the country less than 3 years. Also, there have been a lot of Bosnian and Somolian children who've located to this area and tutors were hired to accomodate them.

I grew up in the Hartford public school system. A lot of students participated in the dual language classes when i attended. These positions were cut years after I graduated. I remember parents being outraged saying the school system was denying their children to a fair education.

Although the area is mainly latino, a high percentage of the people here are Puerto Rican. In Puerto Rico, English is often taught as a second language.

My children go to a Magnet School in Hartford. All of their friends who are hispanic speak very good english.

I'm Puerto Rican. My Grandparents don't speak English at all and they've been in Connecticut for over 40 years. Because of their stuborness, they're upset at the fact that me and my sister's English is much better than our Spanish (I understand it better than i can speak it).

My take on education is that strong parental involvement is needed and is crucial as to how well your children succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2008, 01:49 PM
 
Location: San Diego
32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Reputation: 17688
40 years? That is one long anti-assimilation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top