U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 02:06 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,637,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
40 years? That is one long anti-assimilation.
I agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 02:12 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
I agree with you.
Do they feel isolated? I guess if they speak Spanish it is widespread here now but a lot of areas in San Diego are like lil immigrant niches where they speak only their native tongue and never leave the small area they live in.

Old 09-10-2008, 02:41 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,637,427 times
Quote:
Do they feel isolated? I guess if they speak Spanish it is widespread here now but a lot of areas in San Diego are like lil immigrant niches where they speak only their native tongue and never leave the small area they live in.
They actually isolate themselves and have very few friends. They attend a spanish-speaking church. My mother and my aunts take care of them for the most part. Between church and family, there's really no one else they talk to. They've been on welfare their entire lives, which i have to admit is sad. My mother was on welfare until the reform back in the 90's came about. Now, you're only allowed to stay on the program for 2 years. She works full time now for a printing company. After high-school I managed to put myself through community college while i worked. Because my grades were so well, I was able to get my bachelors degree in business marketing at close to nothing. I would never have gone to college if it weren't for a particular teacher I had.

My 2 older sisters were both pregnant before they graduated high school and ended up dropping out. I was able to help my younger sister out. She went to ECSU and became a school teacher. She even managed to get her master's degree.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:29 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,693,721 times
Quote:
Certain schools do offer dual-language programs. It's my understanding that they're only offered to students who've been in the country less than 3 years. Also, there have been a lot of Bosnian and Somolian children who've located to this area and tutors were hired to accomodate them.

I grew up in the Hartford public school system. A lot of students participated in the dual language classes when i attended. These positions were cut years after I graduated. I remember parents being outraged saying the school system was denying their children to a fair education.

Although the area is mainly latino, a high percentage of the people here are Puerto Rican. In Puerto Rico, English is often taught as a second language.

My children go to a Magnet School in Hartford. All of their friends who are hispanic speak very good english.

I'm Puerto Rican. My Grandparents don't speak English at all and they've been in Connecticut for over 40 years. Because of their stuborness, they're upset at the fact that me and my sister's English is much better than our Spanish (I understand it better than i can speak it).

My take on education is that strong parental involvement is needed and is crucial as to how well your children succeed.
-----------------

I live in Doral/S.Florida I have not spoken English since moving here from PA (2 yrs ago).

The politician's here like it that way as easier to stay in power when the competetion is reduced .

The Children speak english but less than 1/4 of the Adults. The statistics say 1 out of 20 Speak English I find that bit to low but would go with 4 or 5 out of 20.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
-----------------

"like lil immigrant niches where they speak only their native tongue and never leave the small area they live in."

I live in same thing except it's a city . One of the nicest cities in S.Florida and if Chavez ever leaves Venezuala this city will collapse over night .

The residents will leave . It's a city built on over-seas money.

Old 09-10-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I'd like to add something.

I live in Hartford, CT, which has a heavy latino community. Years ago, a parent had a choice of enrolling their child in an English or Spanish class. Due to City budget cuts, that was changed about 10 years ago. All children must be enrolled in English speaking classes unless it's a special circumstance.

CT is very nice lovely suburbs and real quite and pretty. It's Martha Stewart country.

Old 09-10-2008, 05:00 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,019,301 times
Thank you for your take, Leilani. I'd rep you again if I could.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:19 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,622,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
I beg to differ as evidenced by all of it's posts, when the illegal aliens started arriving in droves, I'm sure some institution decided it was necessary to fulfill the need in America and created college credits out of the necessity for those who deserved a masters degree in BS.
A BA of BS?

Old 09-10-2008, 07:04 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
LOLOLOL Love it!!!
Because it had to be said . . thanks APJ!

Old 09-10-2008, 07:06 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,897,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
A BA of BS?
Nope he/she claims a Masters in BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration