U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:26 PM

1,268 posts, read 3,636,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luiso View Post
CT is very nice lovely suburbs and real quite and pretty. It's Martha Stewart country.
The cost of living is high as well as the taxes. We're taxed on everything...car, home, state, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,693,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
The cost of living is high as well as the taxes. We're taxed on everything...car, home, state, etc.
---------------

Thats true but its still a nice place cost of living here is way less than North but I prefer the North states .

I imagine one day only the well to do Martha Stewart types will be able to afford living there.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:50 PM

Quote:
---------------

Thats true but its still a nice place cost of living here is way less than North but I prefer the North states .

I imagine one day only the well to do Martha Stewart types will be able to afford living there.
My husband's family is from the Atlanta area. I love the "southern hospitality" we get when we visit - so warm and friendly - and people actually drive without trying to run you off the road. We had considered moving down there at one point, but decided not to.

We're currently renting a two-bedroom apartment to save money to buy a house. We sleep in the living room on a sofa bed and gave the bedrooms to the kids. It's hard, but will be well worth it in the long run. Plus it's temporary. This way when we finally move we'll have everything we need.

Old 09-11-2008, 02:51 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,693,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leilani Vasquez View Post
My husband's family is from the Atlanta area. I love the "southern hospitality" we get when we visit - so warm and friendly - and people actually drive without trying to run you off the road. We had considered moving down there at one point, but decided not to.

We're currently renting a two-bedroom apartment to save money to buy a house. We sleep in the living room on a sofa bed and gave the bedrooms to the kids. It's hard, but will be well worth it in the long run. Plus it's temporary. This way when we finally move we'll have everything we need.
--------------
Oh okay . Here in S.Florida and in truth Florida period you don't have Southern hospitality like some other areas.
I found greater "Southern Hospitality" in PA lol .

I find the South backwards compared to the North.
To visit is nice but to move here from North is not so nice and most I know other than retired folks have gone back or want to go back including me.
I am from PA and that is no beacon of light but yet compared to Florida it's a hundred yrs more advanced.

You are right about money it does go further and way way less taxes than in CT it's night and day.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:24 AM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
--------------
Oh okay . Here in S.Florida and in truth Florida period you don't have Southern hospitality like some other areas.
I found greater "Southern Hospitality" in PA lol .

I find the South backwards compared to the North.
To visit is nice but to move here from North is not so nice and most I know other than retired folks have gone back or want to go back including me.
I am from PA and that is no beacon of light but yet compared to Florida it's a hundred yrs more advanced.

You are right about money it does go further and way way less taxes than in CT it's night and day.
The standing joke is that S of Orlando Florida is the 'North' again.

Admittedly; despite my strong feelings that secession from the Union was a huge mistake back in 1861----------I am still more at home in the American South culturally.

Old 09-11-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
The standing joke is that S of Orlando Florida is the 'North' again.

Admittedly; despite my strong feelings that secession from the Union was a huge mistake back in 1861----------I am still more at home in the American South culturally.
Also, I'd like to add, a lot of people that live in Connecticut end up relocating to Florida.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:35 PM

391 posts, read 740,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
This has nothing to do with anarchy. I wish people that bashed bilingual education in Texas would teach for just one day in a Texas classroom. I get so sick and tired of hearing "well this is America" or "Asian kids do fine without it". That's not the point. The point is to offer every child in the country a fair and equitable education. It is not the fault of the child if he or she is raised in an environment where Spanish is dominant. Bilingual education in Texas is based on years upon years of educational research which demonstrates bilingualism in general expedites the learning process. If we really had the nards in this country, we would REQUIRE ALL CHILDREN from the first day of Kindergarten to learn a foreign language. It would not have to be Spanish. This could be decided at a local level. In Europe, even the dullards are bilingual. And I see the same people who bash bilingual education in America praise the European educational system on these very same boards.
Well said, but that being said beware the aftermath from others, signed the illegal retarded troll ( as they say)

Old 09-13-2008, 04:54 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,173,806 times
Bi-lingual education has been proven to do nothing but retard children's learning of English. Some success story...

Old 09-13-2008, 05:03 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,488,093 times
I have nothing against Mexicans but I really don't want Spanish to be here what French is in Canada.

Old 09-13-2008, 05:03 PM

7,020 posts, read 9,895,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyPinestra View Post
Bi-lingual education has been proven to do nothing but retard children's learning of English. Some success story...

Agreed. I find it quite ironic that people from all over the planet have imigrated to the US for decades, yet it was not until those from SOB started coming in droves that it became NECESSARY to mandate a second language be spoken to benefit any other "immigrants".

My guess is that our government and the corporate masters who instituted the press 2 for English and mandatory ESL classes not only deliberately targetted the bottom of Mexico's illiteracy barrel but have no intentions of altering their plans of keeping them ignorant, co-dependent and at the bottom of the US barrel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration