U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 09:09 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknight04 View Post
That is not true at all!
Trust me: that Mexican Spanish accent is quite obvious-----and, said accent effectively cripples many of those US born children from advancement.

The cold reality is that US General English is the Gold Standard-----listen to a TV anchor some time and you will know of what of speak of.

And: BTW; my speech is slightly slurred------which is a drawback in upper crust society. Is it society's fault-------hell no!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 06:56 AM

4,828 posts, read 6,790,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Trust me: that Mexican Spanish accent is quite obvious-----and, said accent effectively cripples many of those US born children from advancement.

The cold reality is that US General English is the Gold Standard-----listen to a TV anchor some time and you will know of what of speak of.

And: BTW; my speech is slightly slurred------which is a drawback in upper crust society. Is it society's fault-------hell no!

Where are you getting this from? I have not met one latino born person who doesn't have an american accent. They might talk like latino americans in the same way i can tell even without looking when an African American is talking.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:24 AM

1,417 posts, read 851,725 times
Improve bilingual education? IT DOESN'T WORK. CUT OFF BILINGUAL PROGRAMS. THE CHILDREN DON'T LEARN ENGLISH AND TAX MONEY IS WASTED.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:38 AM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
My grandmother was a teacher in Bakersfield and Barstow California in the 1950's-1970's and she saw the advent of bilingual education. She said it was detrimental to the students by keeping them behind rather then moving them forward and that ultimately immersion worked better.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:34 PM

47,576 posts, read 58,699,632 times
Immersion works.

Anyone who has tried to learn a language knows that you can sit for year after year in classrooms, get straight A's and still be unable to converse well but if you go live in the country whose language you wish to learn and start speaking it, you will learn quite fast.

Bilingual education usually means all Spanish classrooms where mediocre teachers who might speak great Spanish cannot teach math or science and these kids are left in the dirt.

The problem is for the USA, while European and Asian countries are emphasizing math and science, our leaders are trying to force kids into learning Spanglish and don't bother with the other courses and we're falling behind fast.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:41 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
My grandmother was a teacher in Bakersfield and Barstow California in the 1950's-1970's and she saw the advent of bilingual education. She said it was detrimental to the students by keeping them behind rather then moving them forward and that ultimately immersion worked better.
We had only English immersion while I was going to public school in the Wash DC area in the 1960's/70's.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:51 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Quote:
We had only English immersion while I was going to public school in the Wash DC area in the 1960's/70's.
California is always ahead of the game with social experiments. I doubt they had anything but immersion for the majority of her career, it was in the later stages that bilingual education came into being. She oppossed it from the beginning and was labeled racist for it.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:23 PM

2,256 posts, read 2,962,830 times
Quote:
That's rather silly of you to say. I know quite a few Mexican nationals who have a better command of the English language than most Americans do. I just had lunch the other day with a Mexican corporate big wig, who said that when he went to Chicago his white counterparts looked down on him for his thick accent, until he shut them up by knowing more about their corporation than they did.

What does accent have to do with mastering the English language?

Is there something wrong with me having a Texas accent? Or an Indian living in the U.S. having his?

Mastery of English is important in the American business world, not mastery of some mythical "perfect American" accent you propagate.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:15 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Quote:
Try again.

So many US born/raised Latino young adults have accents that suggest they just immigrated here maybe 2-3 years ago---------yet, most same age Asian kids speak flawless English by age 18 even if they came here 8 years previously from Cambodia, Vietnam, etc.

Why is that?
I call BS.
Theres a whole lot of assumption in this post. You have a tendecy of phrasing things matter of factly.

I want to see sources on "so many U.S. Born/Raised Latinos" and "most Asians kids" supporting your claims.

Old 07-28-2008, 11:17 PM

3,172 posts, read 5,994,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Immersion works.

Anyone who has tried to learn a language knows that you can sit for year after year in classrooms, get straight A's and still be unable to converse well but if you go live in the country whose language you wish to learn and start speaking it, you will learn quite fast.

Bilingual education usually means all Spanish classrooms where mediocre teachers who might speak great Spanish cannot teach math or science and these kids are left in the dirt.

The problem is for the USA, while European and Asian countries are emphasizing math and science, our leaders are trying to force kids into learning Spanglish and don't bother with the other courses and we're falling behind fast.
But the Asian kids arent falling behind!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration