Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 11:20 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,753,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
That's rather silly of you to say. I know quite a few Mexican nationals who have a better command of the English language than most Americans do. I just had lunch the other day with a Mexican corporate big wig, who said that when he went to Chicago his white counterparts looked down on him for his thick accent, until he shut them up by knowing more about their corporation than they did.

What does accent have to do with mastering the English language?

Is there something wrong with me having a Texas accent? Or an Indian living in the U.S. having his?

Mastery of English is important in the American business world, not mastery of some mythical "perfect American" accent you propagate.
Yup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 03:41 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Improve bilingual education? IT DOESN'T WORK. CUT OFF BILINGUAL PROGRAMS. THE CHILDREN DON'T LEARN ENGLISH AND TAX MONEY IS WASTED.
Sources? Links?

Old 08-09-2008, 04:05 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Sources? Links?
Common sense.

We did not have this bilingual nonsense 90 years ago when the immigrants came through Ellis Island...........it was either sink or swim. Too; many folks returned to Italy, etc. due to them not making it here in the USA.

My father was an immigrant to the USA in 1951; had a sponsor and got drafted for the Korean War (he was kept stateside admittedly).........needless to say, he learned English in a hurry. Besides: there were never ESL programs for Hungarian speakers here anyway.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:11 PM

2,065 posts, read 3,593,942 times
Quote:
Sources? Links?
The Case Against Biligual Education - 98.05

by Rosalie Pedalino Porter

Quote:
BILINGUAL education is a classic example of an experiment that was begun with the best of humanitarian intentions but has turned out to be terribly wrongheaded.
Quote:
...bilingual education has had a sufficient trial period to be pronounced a failure. It is time finally to welcome immigrant children into our society by adding to the language they already know a full degree of competency in the common language of their new country -- to give these children the very best educational opportunity for inclusion.
Rosalie Pedalino Porter is the director of the Institute for Research in English Acquisition and Development (READ), in Amherst, Massachusetts, and the editor of READ Perspectives.

Old 08-09-2008, 04:19 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:

U.S. District Judge William Wayne Justice said the Texas Education Agency is violating the civil rights of Spanish-speaking students under the federal Equal Education Opportunity Act.
Violating the rights of Spanish speaking students?! Please let this be a joke. Please! What about Chinese, Greek, Italian, Hebrew, etc, etc speaking students? This thing is out of control and must be stopped. English MUST become the official language of the U.S. or we are headed into some real division in the decades ahead. Glad I left Texas behind, but I fear this kind of idiocy will spread like the disease it is.

Old 08-09-2008, 05:34 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
But what do we do with all the kids who struggle with immersion?

Old 08-09-2008, 06:14 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Quote:
But what do we do with all the kids who struggle with immersion?
If the kids are here legally; Special Education classes.....

Illegal ones need to be deported............we (the USA) has enough people who are struggling.

Old 08-09-2008, 10:27 PM

1,818 posts, read 3,093,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Trust me: that Mexican Spanish accent is quite obvious-----and, said accent effectively cripples many of those US born children from advancement.

The cold reality is that US General English is the Gold Standard-----listen to a TV anchor some time and you will know of what of speak of.

And: BTW; myspeech is slightly slurred------which is a drawback in upper crust society. Is it society's fault-------hell no!
It would'nt be from too many coronas would it? Just Kidding

Old 08-09-2008, 10:37 PM

91 posts, read 365,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Oh oh and dont forget what else the want. The free medical care.

There is only one offical language here. There are also laws. Both which are mostly ignored by the politcos. All the do is write new laws to protect the illegals. Sickening !

I hear they are also pressuring the American govt to adapt the Peso.

Yep.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:20 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,606,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
If the kids are here legally; Special Education classes.....

Illegal ones need to be deported............we (the USA) has enough people who are struggling.
Special education is for students who have legit disabilities...not for students who don't know English. What you suggest is highly illegal.

I know plenty of Asians from my days in LA....They do have an accent and depending on the generation of the person it is very hard to under stand them. Same with people from India.... The hardest thing I had to do was take a grad level statistics class that was taught by a professor from India.

Last edited by ibarrio; 08-10-2008 at 01:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration