U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 04:55 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
I think that by catering to them, they are also holding them back. If your mom couldn't speak english, would she have gone to college? If education and learning english werren't a priority in your home, how would your life have been different?
I try very hard not to get out the reynolds wrap and make myself a hat, but I am becoming more and more convinced that there are a lot of different groups with a lot of different motivations that want to keep an hispanic underclass permenant. And that is a damn shame that the people themselves don't see themselves as being used....even by those who say they want to 'empower' them.
This is precisely how they exploit them, and maintain their reliant, sheeple workforce. The corporate elite, under the auspices of greedy, traitorous government officials, ensure their ‘slaves’ remain ignorant members of the underclass by accommodating them with Spanish. This was also the impetus behind plantation owners prohibiting slaves from receiving an education…….to keep them ignorant and dependent on them.

More and more, I see similarities between tactics used then and now. It’s disgusting. Harriet Tubman's words come to mind. "I freed a thousand slaves; I could have freed a thousand more, if only they knew they were slaves."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 05:01 PM

19 posts, read 28,298 times
English should be the official language. Taxpayers should NOT have to spend money to help immigrants learn English. And American children should not be forced to learn anything in Spanish.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:05 PM

1,417 posts, read 851,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usafirecracker View Post
English should be the official language. Taxpayers should NOT have to spend money to help immigrants learn English. And American children should not be forced to learn anything in Spanish.
I'm an American child. I was forced to learn Spanish, therefore Spanish was my first language . I am also of Mexican descent. Should I alert the Government?

Old 08-25-2008, 05:45 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This is precisely how they exploit them, and maintain their reliant, sheeple workforce. The corporate elite, under the auspices of greedy, traitorous government officials, ensure their ‘slaves’ remain ignorant members of the underclass by accommodating them with Spanish. This was also the impetus behind plantation owners prohibiting slaves from receiving an education…….to keep them ignorant and dependent on them.

More and more, I see similarities between tactics used then and now. It’s disgusting. Harriet Tubman's words come to mind. "I freed a thousand slaves; I could have freed a thousand more, if only they knew they were slaves."

Thanks for the Harriet Tubman quote. I think she has been entirely undervalued as an important historical figure.

You are so right. (sigh) I wish that people would wake up and realize that the glorious reconquista is just a guise of serfdom---with the sole benefit of being conducted in their native language.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:47 PM

8,180 posts, read 11,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I'm an American child. I was forced to learn Spanish, therefore Spanish was my first language . I am also of Mexican descent. Should I alert the Government?
Ah, but did your mom post signs in both spanish and english around the house?

Old 08-25-2008, 07:33 PM

21,148 posts, read 36,615,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

I suspect that most of said 'plantation owners' are actually MEChA types as well.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Ah, but did your mom post signs in both spanish and english around the house?
No need. I speak to her in English, I get Spanish responses.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:19 PM

42,203 posts, read 49,753,916 times
Yeah, I don't get it. Why did my Russian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Swedish, Nigerian friends have to "use it or lose it" and learn English...while we pander to this Spanish-speaking population?

Forget unfair or whatever. Doesn't it seem to you that if someone really wanted to live in this country they would bother to learn the language? I mean, if they loved America and what it stood for and wanted to be contributing citizens, that's the least they could do.

I think their lack of trying points more to the real reason they are here - our resources. They don't want to be Americans. They want our resources.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yeah, I don't get it. Why did my Russian, Chinese, Vietnamese, Swedish, Nigerian friends have to "use it or lose it" and learn English...while we pander to this Spanish-speaking population?

Forget unfair or whatever. Doesn't it seem to you that if someone really wanted to live in this country they would bother to learn the language? I mean, if they loved America and what it stood for and wanted to be contributing citizens, that's the least they could do.

I think their lack of trying points more to the real reason they are here - our resources. They don't want to be Americans. They want our resources.
You should read some of my past posts. I blame it on big business for making everything so spanish-friendly. As it turns out its hurting Hispanics rather than helping them.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:07 PM

391 posts, read 740,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Because in the Asian households education comes before everything. In Hispanic households, religion and family often come before education. Why are we to fault the children for their situation? Like it or not, these kids are here and are not going anywhere. The Asians have a leg up in that regard. I will also say that I am generalizing, but it's a fairly true generalization. Where I teach in Houston, we have bilingual programs for Spanish speaking immigrants. Guess what happens to the Asians who don't have a bilingual program in their language who can't keep up due to the linguistic barrier? They are put on IEP's and in special education. In fact, special education is the "bilingual" program for many Asians in the Houston area. This is a sad reality. I support bilingual education from he get go because it is great for educational development in general. And I don't think it should be Spanish per se. The languages should be chosen at a local level. I will also state that I do look at this issue at more of an education standpoint. I do understand everyone else's concerns also.
In the ESL school I teach at they teach english to all immigrants. Russian, asian and spanish. ESL is to help legal student immigrants and illegal slip in too, english. They are not teaching spanish they are teaching english.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration