Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:07 PM

178 posts, read 416,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with Bush and the Governator on this one. The Minuteman are vigilantes. Not in the Charles Bronson sense, but in the historic sense. That is exactly what they are.

I'll be the first to admit that illegal immigration is a huge problem and that our leaders are failing us. But what the Minuteman are doing is not only ineffective, it's a recipe for disaster.
If it weren't for the Minuteman, you most likely would not have even heard about our wide open borders. The Minutemen brought the media to the border. They have been very effective in that endeavor.

May I ask what you have done for our country to help stop the invasion from our southern border?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 01:14 PM

753 posts, read 758,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
...or you could just get a PO Box. That way you could pick it up yourself

Honestly though. Say you were with a pregnant woman in the middle of nowhere who was about to give birth. Would you....

a. Wait for a Doctor, Paramedic/EMT, or other trained professional to show up, and let the woman or baby die because you didn't have a license to practice medicine.

or

b. Give it your best shot in the interest of being a decent person, and hope for the best since nobody else was there to do the job.

I'll go with b on that one.

-TT
I'd go with b too. But the analogy doesn't quite fit. Here's how I'd cast it:

Pregnant woman in the middle of the nowhere about to give birth...

a doctor arrives on the scene to assist. A private citizen shows up, criticizes the job he's doing, then steps in and takes over.

That's more like it.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryPie View Post
If it weren't for the Minuteman, you most likely would not have even heard about our wide open borders.
The past 7 years in suburban America has looked like a reinactment of Pancho Villa's march...with lawnmowers. We didn't need the Minutemen to tell us the door's wide open.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:24 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FistFightingHairdresser View Post
The past 7 years in suburban America has looked like a reinactment of Pancho Villa's march...with lawnmowers. We didn't need the Minutemen to tell us the door's wide open.
Pancho Villa with lawnmowers, that was great......Lol

Old 01-24-2007, 01:32 PM

178 posts, read 416,459 times
Quote:
Sure, I know everyone knows about the problem. I guess I should have said it this way.........

When the Minutemen told the White House, if you don't close our borders, we will. And they began building the fence.

Of course the Minutemen cannot close the border by themselves, but they do keep attention to the open border issue. And that was, and is, their point.

Old 01-24-2007, 01:48 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,838 times
Quote:
I'd go with b too. But the analogy doesn't quite fit. Here's how I'd cast it:

Pregnant woman in the middle of the nowhere about to give birth...

a doctor arrives on the scene to assist. A private citizen shows up, criticizes the job he's doing, then steps in and takes over.

That's more like it.
That doesn't fit either, lol.

Aside from the "minutemen", there is nobody guarding those sections of the border. That's why they're there, to fill in the gaps.

-TT

Old 01-24-2007, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
That doesn't fit either, lol.

Aside from the "minutemen", there is nobody guarding those sections of the border. That's why they're there, to fill in the gaps.

-TT
But wait a minute, the self-stated role of the Minutemen is not to detain or arrest, just to alert the proper authorities when they see illegals. So what gaps are they filling?

If the Minutemen are just filling in gaps, what happens when they alert the border patrol? They just create a gap somewhere else, that's what.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:03 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,612,838 times
Quote:
But wait a minute, the self-stated role of the Minutemen is not to detain or arrest, just to alert the proper authorities when they see illegals. So what gaps are they filling?

If the Minutemen are just filling in gaps, what happens when they alert the border patrol? They just create a gap somewhere else, that's what.
Well then that being the case, if the "proper authorities" were doing their job, would they need to be alerted? They would already know, correct?

...and I fail to understand how the minutemen, no different than a neighborhood watch program, is somehow creating a gap somewhere.

They're really just a "neighborhood watch" program on a national level. The difference is, local police have the decency to admit when they need a little help. The arrogance of the Bush administration has spread so far and wide that even when people are COMPLETELY failing at what they do, they'll never admit it and only belittle the efforts of those trying to make it better.

...but hey, Chicken McNuggets are still only a buck for 6 at McDonalds so I'm happy.

-TT

Old 01-24-2007, 03:53 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
As much as I hate to admit it, I agree with Bush and the Governator on this one. The Minuteman are vigilantes. Not in the Charles Bronson sense, but in the historic sense. That is exactly what they are.

I'll be the first to admit that illegal immigration is a huge problem and that our leaders are failing us. But what the Minuteman are doing is not only ineffective, it's a recipe for disaster.
In the context of the history of the western US, "vigilantes" have a deservedly bad rep. The vigilantes of the 19th century are associated with lynching Chinese and starting riots - not a connotation I'd want to associate with.

I don't see the Minutemen so much as vigilantes (they're not that dangerous) as I see them as being political performance artists - right wing Yippies of a sort. (Maybe they could apply for grants from the NEA?) They're not doing anything to solve the problem in any case.

Old 01-24-2007, 04:22 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,983,593 times
The Minutemen are not vigilantes. They are however a public and visible embarrassment to the Bush Administration and Congress because they are regular American citizens making an attempt to protect this country in the absence of any effort from their governing authorities who profess to be doing so, but aren't. I say more power to them and more Americans should rise up and make their views known in light of the fact that we continue to be ignored as a people by our government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration