Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 01:32 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,415,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
I have never heard someone say they came to this country because they wanted to become Americans. They came here for the prosperity, as well as the first immigrants that came to America and the ones that come to this day.
I'm afraid you're wrong on that one. But it is an understandable mistaken belief, since the current crop of "immigrants" aka illegal aliens are fleeing their financial situation, not persecution (religious, political, etc.). Freedom was a much bigger draw - the possibilty to earn a living was also a draw but not the only motivation to "leave home".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 01:33 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,764,871 times
Good Post Progressive!
With globalism and todays current world we need a more educated,skilled workforce.
The days of factories,farmwork & building the railroad is over!
Not only do we NOT need cheap uneducated labor, we need to get more americans
With skills and higher education.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:36 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,405,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Not to mention the millions of anchor babies resulting from these ‘overachievers.’ As if we don’t already have more than enough worthless welfare parasites sucking the life out of our tax dollars.
I couldn't agree more, but according to them, they're just here doing the jobs Americans won't do.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:38 PM

2,735 posts, read 6,733,397 times
illegal aliens are just dropping out for the American kids that are too lazy to Those illegals are some hard working individuals!

Old 07-28-2008, 01:40 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'm afraid you're wrong on that one. But it is an understandable mistaken belief, since the current crop of "immigrants" aka illegal aliens are fleeing their financial situation, not persecution (religious, political, etc.). Freedom was a much bigger draw - the possibilty to earn a living was also a draw but not the only motivation to "leave home".
Did I miss something along the lines of "The streets are paved with gold." Most of the general immigrant population came here for economic reasons. The first European immigrants did indeed come to run away from religious persecution.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Did I miss something along the lines of "The streets are paved with gold." Most of the general immigrant population came here for economic reasons. The first European immigrants did indeed come to run away from religious persecution.
There you go again, making sweeping generalizations as if they are fact-based but are nothing more than your opinion.

You have revealed yourself tenfold.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:43 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
I have never heard someone say they came to this country because they wanted to become Americans. They came here for the prosperity, as well as the first immigrants that came to America and the ones that come to this day.
This is the difference between past immigrants, and the massive population of illegal aliens. Immigrants of the past (legal) came here to become a part of the fiber of America. They left their home countries with the expectation of actually becoming an "American" -- and they were proud of it.

The current crop of illegal aliens are not "immigrants" to begin with. They are only here to take what they can. Therefore, it doesn't surprise me that you don't know any "immigrants" who actually yearn to be "American."

We don’t need millions of people living in our country, taking “advantage” of our “opportunities.” We need people who will assimilate, contribute, and dare I say…. “love” this country. We have enough parasites and opportunists.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:44 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,156,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
There you go again, making sweeping generalizations as if they are fact-based but are nothing more than your opinion.

You have revealed yourself tenfold.
Both sides could be argued respectively. The land of the free, and the streets are paved with gold. We come for a better life.

Old 07-28-2008, 01:45 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,555,982 times
Quote:
Both sides could be argued respectively. The land of the free, and the streets are paved with gold. We come for a better life.
Really?!

Old 07-28-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This is the difference between past immigrants, and the massive population of illegal aliens. Immigrants of the past (legal) came here to become a part of the fiber of America. They left their home countries with the expectation of actually becoming an "American" -- and they were proud of it.

The current crop of illegal aliens are not "immigrants" to begin with. They are only here to take what they can. Therefore, it doesn't surprise me that you don't know any "immigrants" who actually yearn to be "American."

We don’t need millions of people living in our country, taking “advantage” of our “opportunities.” We need people who will assimilate, contribute, and dare I say…. “love” this country. We have enough parasites and opportunists.
Excellent post - I'm glad I'm not the only one who reacted to that whole "take advantage of the opportunities" line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration