U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:48 PM

15,179 posts, read 15,840,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Excellent post - I'm glad I'm not the only one who reacted to that whole "take advantage of the opportunities" line.
Thanks! The sense of entitlement is nauseating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 02:48 PM

1,417 posts, read 855,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
This is the difference between past immigrants, and the massive population of illegal aliens. Immigrants of the past (legal) came here to become a part of the fiber of America. They left their home countries with the expectation of actually becoming an "American" -- and they were proud of it.

The current crop of illegal aliens are not "immigrants" to begin with. They are only here to take what they can. Therefore, it doesn't surprise me that you don't know any "immigrants" who actually yearn to be "American."

We don’t need millions of people living in our country, taking “advantage” of our “opportunities.” We need people who will assimilate, contribute, and dare I say…. “love” this country. We have enough parasites and opportunists.
I don't think we're in a place to argue for what reasons the first European immigrants came to America. The saying "the streets are paved with gold" is a European fabrication. People had different reasons for coming, we can't lay the fact that they came here to become Americans only. There had to be a push factor than just that. I really don't see why everyone is trying to equate everything with the illegal immigration boom.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Excellent post - I'm glad I'm not the only one who reacted to that whole "take advantage of the opportunities" line.
Then why is the U.S labeled "The Land of Opportunity?" I think the illegal immigrants have gotten to you all.

http://209.85.141.104/search?q=cache:v1B6tTYOF3oJ:www.sscnet.ucla.edu/aasc/classweb/winter04/aas116/essay1llam.pdf+why+did+you+come+to+America&hl=en&c t=clnk&cd=2&gl=us&client=firefox-a (broken link)

- Why Did You Come to America?

Old 07-28-2008, 02:53 PM

13,073 posts, read 21,223,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Then why is the U.S labeled "The Land of Opportunity?" I think the illegal immigrants have gotten to you all.
Here I'll break it down - let's say there is a girl in town who's known to be "easy" - there is a lot of 'opportunity' there, right? - but illegal immigration is like grabbing that "easy" girl when she's not expecting it and forcibly raping her. Do you see the difference?

Old 07-28-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:

“Why Did You Come to America?” By Linda Lam Why did you <b style="color:black;background-color:#99ff99">come</b> to <b style="color:black;background-color:#ff9999">America</b>?

- Why Did You Come to America?
You obviously don't realize you have already exposed your hand.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Here I'll break it down - let's say there is a girl in town who's known to be "easy" - there is a lot of 'opportunity' there, right? - but illegal immigration is like grabbing that "easy" girl when she's not expecting it and forcibly raping her. Do you see the difference?
Now your speaking along the lines of the jobs supposed illegal immigrants have taken when in fact, unemployment has remained stable.

Also, why use such deranged, sick analogies?

Old 07-28-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Now your speaking along the lines of the jobs supposed illegal immigrants have taken when in fact, unemployment has remained stable.

Also, why use such deranged, sick analogies?
I am doing no such thing. My post had zip to do with jobs or employment.

What illegals are doing is on par with rape. They are raping our country of it's financial backbone. A woman who is raped is just as much an unwilling participant to a forced act as we citizens of the US are unwilling participants in being drained financially (not to mention the other detrimental aspects of illegal immigration on our country) by those who are here illegally.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I am doing no such thing. My post had zip to do with jobs or employment.

What illegals are doing is on par with rape. They are raping our country of it's financial backbone. A woman who is raped is just as much an unwilling participant to a forced act as we citizens of the US are unwilling participants in being drained financially (not to mention the other detrimental aspects of illegal immigration on our country) by those who are here illegally.
It would take 3 times as many illegal immigrants to do some "real damage" to our financial backbone. If it is how you say as bad as it is, the media would be swarming on this topic daily.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:10 PM

Quote:
It would take 3 times as many illegal immigrants to do some "real damage" to our financial backbone. If it is how you say as bad as it is, the media would be swarming on this topic daily.
News Flash: The mainstream media is a part of the corporate elite profiteers of cheap illegal labor.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Wow, to see the world through your eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or