U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2008, 12:30 PM
 
494 posts, read 647,332 times
Reputation: 201

Advertisements

In the short video linked below, the Washington, DC think tank Heritage Foundation shows that by not enforcing U.S. immigration laws, the country has allowed more than 11 million more high-school dropouts with few marketable skills to tap into our social services.

Link. (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2008, 12:32 PM
 
16,092 posts, read 35,779,846 times
Reputation: 6264
And then the schools are affected because their ratings tank because of the high drop-out rate. As a result, many of the citizens are short-changed because of the herculean effort which must be made to keep the illegals in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2008, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Not to mention the millions of anchor babies resulting from these ‘overachievers.’ As if we don’t already have more than enough worthless welfare parasites sucking the life out of our tax dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2008, 12:53 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 851,725 times
Reputation: 76
This video speaks upon both legal, and illegal immigrants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2008, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Missouri
3,640 posts, read 4,308,847 times
Reputation: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
This video speaks upon both legal, and illegal immigrants.
See, the bad part is that most, not all of course but most definitely most, Hispanic immigrants, whether they be illegal or legal, don't seem to care about education. Asians, on the other hand do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2008, 01:10 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 851,725 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
See, the bad part is that most, not all of course but most definitely most, Hispanic immigrants, whether they be illegal or legal, don't seem to care about education. Asians, on the other hand do.
How can you say "definitely most", I don't know about your Hispanic background and families attitude is on education but education in my family is highly sought out and taken seriously. The thing with the recent immigrants is that they want their kids to do better than them, which is why they came to the U.S in the first place. To take advantage of the opportunities. The latino families care about education, but its not as highly prioritized as it should be. They want their kids to go into higher education but a lot of the times the parents aren't there to pressure their kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2008, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Romeoville, IL
1,238 posts, read 2,180,457 times
Reputation: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
How can you say "definitely most", I don't know about your Hispanic background and families attitude is on education but education in my family is highly sought out and taken seriously. The thing with the recent immigrants is that they want their kids to do better than them, which is why they came to the U.S in the first place. To take advantage of the opportunities. The latino families care about education, but its not as highly prioritized as it should be. They want their kids to go into higher education but a lot of the times the parents aren't there to pressure their kids.
You're in the minority. I live in Romeoville, Illinois. The demographics have changed dramatically towards the Hispanic side at the high school. As a result, test scores have gone down and they are dangerously close to having the government step in to ensure that test scores go up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2008, 01:19 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 851,725 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
You're in the minority. I live in Romeoville, Illinois. The demographics have changed dramatically towards the Hispanic side at the high school. As a result, test scores have gone down and they are dangerously close to having the government step in to ensure that test scores go up.
That's what happens. Everyone assimilates in the future, look at the Irish. Again, its not that the parents don't care about their childs education, its that they do not pressure their kids as they should. It's like my family says, No hay de otra meaning there's no other way besides getting educated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2008, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Maryland
15,179 posts, read 15,809,199 times
Reputation: 3028
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
How can you say "definitely most", I don't know about your Hispanic background and families attitude is on education but education in my family is highly sought out and taken seriously. The thing with the recent immigrants is that they want their kids to do better than them, which is why they came to the U.S in the first place. To take advantage of the opportunities. The latino families care about education, but its not as highly prioritized as it should be. They want their kids to go into higher education but a lot of the times the parents aren't there to pressure their kids.


It's certainly NOT to become American citizens. They think breaking into our country earns them the right to be rewarded with citizenship, and all of the “opportunities” and freebies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2008, 01:28 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 851,725 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post


It's certainly NOT to become American citizens. They think breaking into our country earns them the right to be rewarded with citizenship, and all of the “opportunities” and freebies.
I have never heard someone say they came to this country because they wanted to become Americans. They came here for the prosperity, as well as the first immigrants that came to America and the ones that come to this day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top