U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2008, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Ca2Mo2Ga2Va!
2,736 posts, read 5,796,084 times
Reputation: 1776

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Then why did you say they're "missing the boat with mainstream America", or is just another ignorant assumption?
Nope, not another "ignorant assumption" (which by the way, the "other ignorant assumption" was done on your behalf I might add ) But, I am "mainstream America", my family is "mainstream America" my friends are "mainstream America" and my aquaintances are "mainstream America" and this is a topic that has been discussed in my company more than once
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2008, 11:35 AM
 
1,417 posts, read 854,042 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Nope, not another "ignorant assumption" (which by the way, the "other ignorant assumption" was done on your behalf I might add ) But, I am "mainstream America", my family is "mainstream America" my friends are "mainstream America" and my aquaintances are "mainstream America" and this is a topic that has been discussed in my company more than once
Ohhh please save it. No really. Mainstream America is a generalized term referring to all of America. Nice try though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 11:38 AM
 
Location: Ca2Mo2Ga2Va!
2,736 posts, read 5,796,084 times
Reputation: 1776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Ohhh please save it. No really. Mainstream America is a generalized term referring to all of America. Nice try though.

whatever CaliforNIA......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 11:44 AM
 
Location: York, PA
2,662 posts, read 5,144,626 times
Reputation: 2562
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I live in a medium sized city in the midwest.
I notice billboards in spanish only,announcements in stores...
Done in english & spanish.And last week in wal-mart i noticed..
They were putting up huge signs in spanish only.
How common is this all over the country?This didnt start happening..
Here until 3-4 years ago.
I understand the frustration, but let's get real here..If Wal-Mart, Lowes or other "big box" retailers don't appeal to the Spanish speaking population, the money will go someplace that does.

Granted, I don't like it, and IMO, it does not encourage many to learn and articulate the English language. However, but money talks, and they are smart enough to know this group has some to spend. They want some.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 11:52 AM
 
1,417 posts, read 854,042 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post
I understand the frustration, but let's get real here..If Wal-Mart, Lowes or other "big box" retailers don't appeal to the Spanish speaking population, the money will go someplace that does.

Granted, I don't like it, and IMO, it does not encourage many to learn and articulate the English language. However, but money talks, and they are smart enough to know this group has some to spend. They want some.
At least someone here gets it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 11:54 AM
 
Location: Ca2Mo2Ga2Va!
2,736 posts, read 5,796,084 times
Reputation: 1776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
At least someone here gets it..

We get it California, we just don't like it...it's not like it's rocket science
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 12:05 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 854,042 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
We get it California, we just don't like it...it's not like it's rocket science
It's Californio, not California. Make the distinction. And who's we? You mean you. I just don't like Government labels in other languages. Anything else can be in any language they want, I have the right not to buy it or look at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 12:29 PM
 
Location: Ca2Mo2Ga2Va!
2,736 posts, read 5,796,084 times
Reputation: 1776
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
It's Californio, not California. Make the distinction. And who's we? You mean you. I just don't like Government labels in other languages. Anything else can be in any language they want, I have the right not to buy it or look at it.
Nope, I can assure you that it's not just "ME"...when I say "we" I wasn't including you, but alot of like minded Americans who are tired of the labeling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 12:39 PM
 
1,417 posts, read 854,042 times
Reputation: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
Nope, I can assure you that it's not just "ME"...when I say "we" I wasn't including you, but alot of like minded Americans who are tired of the labeling.
It looks like everyone else is embracing the diversity, except you know, a type of close minded Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Arizona
2,065 posts, read 3,177,004 times
Reputation: 391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
It looks like everyone else is embracing the diversity, except you know, a type of close minded Americans.
'Embracing the diversity'...??? How about you embrace the barrel of the gun that's going to kill you?

That's what 'embracing the diversity' boils down to, loving the Balkanization of this nation to it's demise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top