U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:04 PM

2,731 posts, read 5,943,438 times

Advertisements

I live in a medium sized city in the midwest.
I notice billboards in spanish only,announcements in stores...
Done in english & spanish.And last week in wal-mart i noticed..
They were putting up huge signs in spanish only.
How common is this all over the country?This didnt start happening..
Here until 3-4 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 02:07 PM

1,417 posts, read 854,240 times
A large influx of spanish speaking immigrants has indeed caused marketing campaigns to appeal to the Spanish speaking demographic.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:36 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,796,992 times
It started in many areas in San Diego way back...my only advice unfortunately, get used to it...seems like nobody cares.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
It started in many areas in San Diego way back...my only advice unfortunately, get used to it...seems like nobody cares.
Of course get used to it. You really can't tell marketing agencies to campaign in English only. They will do anything by legal means to get the word across to their target audience.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:39 PM

1,818 posts, read 2,736,931 times
It's that way here too. but we are in Arizona....Mexico does have signs in english also.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:40 PM

2,736 posts, read 5,796,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californio View Post
Of course get used to it. You really can't tell marketing agencies to campaign in English only. They will do anything by legal means to get the word across to their target audience.

You are totally correct, BUT we shouldn't have to get used to Spanish marketing, unless of course we are in South America or Spain.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breeze823 View Post
You are totally correct, BUT we shouldn't have to get used to Spanish marketing, unless of course we are in South America or Spain.
What are you proposing? Ban marketing agencies from using any other language that's not English?

Old 07-28-2008, 02:58 PM

2,731 posts, read 5,943,438 times
How about people living in this country have a basic grasp of the english language?
Its called respect.I spent some time in germany growing up and could speak..
Basic german.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
How about people living in this country have a basic grasp of the english language?
Its called respect.I spent some time in germany growing up and could speak..
Basic german.
I'm not negating the fact that they should not learn English. They SHOULD learn English. Although, its kind of ridiculous seeing the nutrition facts as follows: Calories/Calorias, it gets quite annoying.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:08 PM

195 posts, read 452,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyone View Post
It's that way here too. but we are in Arizona....Mexico does have signs in english also.
I'll bet they do in the heavy tourist areas. As you know California is the same too. But the Midwest? What if you went to some small city or town in Mexico would they still? Probably not. The problem is that the large retailers see a market and want to make a buck. Who can blame them. We can only blame and hold our elected officals accountable for not craking down on illegal immigration. If we don't do that then we can only blame ourselves for being lazy and thinking someone else will take care of it. If want to come here do it legally and learn the language like my Polish and German Grandparents did. They were proud to learn the english language. I know they were also proud of their heritage too. Hopefully I will never see this in my Grandchilds classroom....

"Prometo lealtad a la bandera de los Estados Unidos de América, y para la república que representa, una nación bajo Dios, indivisible, con libertad y justicia para todos."

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

I don't know if the traslation is correct, but you get the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration